Nintendo Pre-E3 Conference Thread

Rayn

does the Wii controller track position relative to the TV/console or just change in position?

The former.

After that show, anyone who still thinks the PS3 controller will be able to do what the Wii controller can do is seriously deluded.

I think you've missed the point.

I tried to explain the appeal of Wii to my wife but she wasn't interested. To be honest, though, it was at that time of the month, and my explanation of the tennis game feel on hormonally-challenged ears.

Can I just ask why tennis using a stick means the game's amazing? Say the game is really good, why does the stick mean the game's REALLY good, as opposed to just really good on a normal pad? I can see it being fun because of the originality but apart from that...?

I was in an arcade a while ago playing table tennis with this stupid bat and it was amusing for the first few minutes but then... hmm. I know that controller probably wasn't as good as the stick will be, but still.

It's like racing games. You can buy wheels and play using them... I prefer using a pad. I imagine most people do? Otherwise you'd all own wheels.

I would have a sterring wheel and bat plus other accesories if I had the space in the house. With the Wii I won't need to.

The Zelda demo was similar to a section of RE4 as well, which was weird.

Yeah, I kept thinking of that valley bit with the bolt-action rifle.

Christ, I'd buy RE4 again if they released it for the Wii. Although...

Not if the fucking Regenerator noise comes out of the controller's speaker.

Ive got 2 questions guy's if someone can answer them please. First is that if i get a jap version of Wii, then will still be able to connect to the net for download purposes, and secondly, I have a mate living in japan at the moment. Im thinking of telling him to pre-order one. How much roughly would it cost to import one,and im assuming id get stung for charges.

Some Mario Galaxy info from IGN from a press release:

E3 2006: Super Mario Galaxy Details

Rescue Peach from outer space in this two-player-ready action-platformer sequel!

by Matt Casamassina

May 9, 2006 - Nintendo during E3 2006 announced Super Mario Galaxy, the official next installment in its highly lucrative, acclaimed and popular platformer franchise. Galaxy is described as an "action-platformer" and features support for up to two seperate players, although Nintendo has not revealed specifically how the multiplayer mode works. The title makes use of both the Wii-mote and the nunchuck attachment and does not yet have an official release date, although rumors persist that it may launch with Wii later this year.

The facts quoted verbatim from Nintendo's official release:

The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step ... out into space. Join Mario as he ushers in a new era of video games, defying gravity across all the planets in the galaxy.

* Shake, tilt and point! Mario takes advantage of all the unique aspects of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controller, unleashing new moves as players shake the controller and even point at and drag items with the pointer.

* Mario essentially defined the 3-D platforming genre with Super Mario® 64, and this game proves once again that he is king. Players perform mind-bending, low- gravity jumps across wild alien terrain as they experience platforming for a new generation.

* Game storyline: When some creature escapes into space with Princess Peach, Mario gives chase, exploring bizarre planets all across the galaxy.

* Characters: Mario, Peach and enemies new and old.

* How to progress through the game: Players run, jump and battle enemies as they explore all the planets in the galaxy. Since this game makes full use of all the features of the Wii Remote, players have to do all kinds of things to succeed: pressing buttons, swinging the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk, and even pointing at and dragging things with the pointer.

* Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Since he's in space, Mario can perform mind- bending jumps unlike anything he's done before. He'll also have a wealth of new moves that are all based around tilting, pointing and shaking the Wii Remote.

The Wii is so sweet someone needs insulin. Really looking forward to hearing hands-on impressions from the show-floor over the next few days. Hope it plays as good as it looks. It was a very entertaining presentation.

Somewhat disappointed with the DS' showing so far. I've watched all the videos on Nintendo's press site, and there's little new that leaps out at me as exciting and original.

With Starfox I only saw dull arena battles. All turning and banking and looking for something to shoot. It looked slow. I like swooping speedily through canyons and between skyscapers.

DS Sudoku seems to have ditched the excellent interface from Brain Training and replaced it with some PC shareware graphics.

Anyone know where I can download the conference at more than 30Kb/s? *cough*Gamespot*cough* <_<

I'm downloading multiple videos from Gamespot, all at 40-180kps Although I am a paid account holder so I probably get the best severs.

Mario 128, a GC title, was the origin of the Wii controller. Remember their "extend the GC's lifespan with exclusive peripherals" and "we can't reveal it in case it gets stolen" statements a few years ago?

So it's been in development for a long, long time. I have no doubt that it'll be a launch title.

Mario + Zelda launch, Resi to follow? Excellent.

The Wii is so sweet someone needs insulin. Really looking forward to hearing hand-son impressions from the show-floor over the next few days. Hope it plays as good as it looks. It was a very entertaining presentation.

Somewhat disappointed with the DS' showing so far. I've watched all the videos on Nintendo's press site, and there's little new that leaps out at me as exciting and original.

With Starfox I only saw dull arena battles. All turning and banking and looking for something to shoot. It looked slow. I like swooping speedily through canyons and between skyscapers.

DS Sudoku seems to have ditched the excellent interface from Brain Training and replaced it with some PC shareware graphics.

Starfox looks really, really early. That detective game looks really original, I'm excited about that. Other than that, it just looks like a solid line up of games, not much in the way of originality but most of them looks fucking sweet.