IGNORED

Thinking of buying an amiga

Matt

Cruise for a corpse seems to be cracked ok if you run it from the startup menu, but not from workbench, just press OK at each screen.

Robocop 3 works for me both from the startup menu and from Workbench, I typed "000" as the code.

Yeah, try quitting the game properly after you save. IIRC to do that you have to move the pointer to the top left corner of the screen and click and/or press Esc or shift/esc. something like that, anyway.
Is there any real reason to go with the WHDLoaded version over the installer that comes on the floppies?

The official version saves out the moment you click save, so I'd go with that version unless I'm missing some benefit that WHDLoad brings.

Is there any real reason to go with the WHDLoaded version over the installer that comes on the floppies?

The official version saves out the moment you click save, so I'd go with that version unless I'm missing some benefit that WHDLoad brings.

don't know, I don't think I've ever used the WHDLoad version of syndicate. The save problem might be something to do with the format of the hard drive? Directory caching or something maybe? *shrugs*

don't know, I don't think I've ever used the WHDLoad version of syndicate. The save problem might be something to do with the format of the hard drive? Directory caching or something maybe? *shrugs*

Ahh... I'd assumed it was a quirk of the WHDLoaded version, since I read about the shift+esc thing in their readme. Not sure it can be solely down to directory caching as I've got it enabled on my drive and haven't run into the problem yet.

The problem I have run into? The Atlantic Accelerator. :(

In other news: So much for me knocking together that basic HD prep guide I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's definitely on my to-do list, but so is everything else, unfortunately. :lol:

Gah, it's a weird one, then... it's definitely looking for a drive called AMIGA (hence Ameer suggesting that you might have changed the name of your drive). Is the error exactly the same?

Edit: just to check it's gone in correctly, open a shell prompt and try CD AMIGA:

If you get the same message, then it's not registering in the startup-sequence...

In other news: So much for me knocking together that basic HD prep guide I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's definitely on my to-do list, but so is everything else, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

I for one look forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...

on a bit of a slant, does the amiga use a standard serial mouse or is it a specific one? I picked up an Amiga today but the left mouse button is bust so I need a replacement ASAP.

It's a specific one. You'll need one with an Atari standard 9-pin configuration. If you have an Amiga joystick/joypad, you'll find it's the same connector as that.

If you're using workbench, hold the left amiga key and use the arrows. Holding shift+left amiga will move the cursor faster. Left alt+left amiga is the left mouse button; right alt+right amiga is the right mouse button.

thanks Alan that's a lot of help, It's infuriating checking the demo disks with more than one demo on them and not being able to select a game to play.

on another note, how long roughly do games take to load, I tried playing total carnage today and the machine just sat there accessing the floppy for about 10 mins, without asking for disk 2 or changing anything on the screen. Just want to check my disk isn't borked

• 6 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I have to sell my WHD-loaded Amiga - discussed in this very thread - due to space/cash issues...

Other than the small handful of games I had issues with above, it works perfectly and is beautifully modded by Yod@ (with quality additions by me, I may add!) with a 10GB HDD that's about 4.5GB full of games and apps, IIRC.

I have an external drive, 2 mice and a really high quality SCART lead, fully wired, with separate audio leads wired in. PM me if you'd like a price, retro people :)

Lol. Yeah, I think you managed to sell it.

So, how difficult is it to get going in the first place then? I was too slow on that one, but I'd assume it's not that complicated judging by bits of the internet. Buy A1200, check RAM, add RAM if required, buy CF card set up, sort CF card out on PC with games, basically done?