IGNORED

Thinking of buying an amiga

Matt

Any easy way of duplicating an Amiga HDD? Would Ghost do it?

I pretty sure ghost only does windows filesystems.

If you can plug the amiga drive into a windows box (must be win2k or better) using USB > IDE interface or something, then you can access it using winuae. You can create an empty hard drive 'file' on the pc and copy the contents of the amiga hard drive onto it. That's the easiest way I think. I've done this, it's no drama.

As for drive sizes, you can plug any capacity drive into an A1200, but you must only use the first 4GB, and your partitions must be no greater that 2GB in size each. Easy as that.

If you want to go over 4GB (really... there's no point) you have to get funky with new device drivers and fliesystems. That's not fun!

Nah, it works for Ext2/3 and some old Unix machines we have, so I guess it'd be good enough. I'm trying to think of a way of protecting all of the setup work i'll have to put into it, so I don't have to worry if the drive dies; so your suggestion sounds perfect - thanks. -_-

Finally got my expansion board, and it works!

amigaboard1.jpg

amigaboard2.jpg

I had to bend the heat shielding a little to get it to fit:

amigadoor.jpg

It's working perfectly now, and all games load :wacko:

One question, though: I keep getting an error on bootup that says

'Please insert Volume: AMIGA'

I click CANCEL and it boots fine, but it's annoying and a little worrying. Any idea what this is? All devices are turned on for bootup.

Something in your startup is looking for another disk/drive/partition/alias called AMIGA.

Basically, something is either referencing AMIGA: or AMIGA:dir/file, rather than either an actual disk or drive name. I'd guess it's something you've installed that's running at start-up, and that the source has been from a computer where the hard drive was called AMIGA.

You could try ASSIGNing an AMIGA alias to your hard drive...

ASSIGN DH0: AMIGA:

Add it to your startup-sequence. Edit: as the first line.

Heh, I know nowt about Amiga SHELL or AmigaDOS (although i'm pretty au fait with MSDOS).

This has only started happening recently, and was before the install of the new board, by the way. I must have inadvertantly altered a setting. Any idea where I can change it back?

As for the syntax of ASSIGN, what's the root that the Amiga starts with? I could try:

DH0:\ASSIGN AMIGA=DH0

Or maybe a SUBST command?

No idea if that'd work, though. I don't really know the file or directory structure of the Amiga :wacko:

EDIT: Ah, you've added some text! Right, I'll try that. Cheers.

EDIT 2: Sorry, where do you add to the startup sequence?

No worries, let me know how you get on. If AMIGA was a specific path, it should at least tell you the file it was looking for next, which should let us narrow it down. I can't see AMIGA being used for anything but the root of a hard disk, though...

Edit: It's a file (called "Startup-Sequence"). You can find it in the "s" directory of workbench IIRC...

Edit 2: open CLI and type "ED s/startup-sequence" (with no quotes) and then hit <return>.

I tried that and it didn't work.

More worryingly, it now won't load any game at all. I'm getting this when I try:

DOS-error #235

(bad load file hunk)

On loading "[gamename].Slave"

Any ideas? I'm scared ;)

Actually, found this that might help:

If you have an Amiga with memory expansion, you might experience some trouble with the installers. I met "DOS ERROR #235 - bad loadfile hunk" when trying to launch Damocles for instance. Then simply disable the fast RAM by clicking once on the NoFastMem icon in you Workbench System folder. This solved the problem for me. Clicking again on it brings back the FastMem.

Gonna try it now...

Erk. Good luck with that second bit; i'm 99% sure it didn't have anything to do with what I posted though (though I am worried about that 1%!). Do you get the exact same error - that it can't find volume AMIGA?

I've heard of memory expansions messing things up before, but I have no clue how to fix them i'm afraid. ;) Paging Ameer and Rob H to the thread...

Edit: just out of interest, check through your startup-sequence file again and look for other references to amiga: or AMIGA: or Amiga:...

You're right, it's doing nothing.

As for adding the line, are you sure it's meant to be the very first? Also, there are several lines with ASSIGN and AMIGA and drive letters dotted about that startup-sequence file.

Right, I'm going to to try and remove the 8MB SIMM and replace it with my 4MB one to see if that works. Wish me luck....

UPDATE:

That's the answer: I switched the jumper so it was only using 4MB and it works perfectly :D

As for the other issue, screw it for now. It's lunchtime and I'm gonna play some games ;)

If you can be arsed, type out those lines that contain AMIGA: (with the colon) for us.

Try adding that line of mine to the section with the ASSIGNs in, then (try just before then just after them all). Pretty hard to debug without the file itself i'm afraid... you don't have it connected to your PC by any chance, do you?

Glad you've solved the other problem ;)

No, not got a connection to the PC. I can't be arsed dragging out my old parallel printer, but I will write don the lines for you.

Yeah, I thought it might be the 4MB/8MB thing. Glad it's resolved. Shame it can't load games with the 8MB enabled though - the machine's noticably faster loading WB screens and open programs when 8MB is enabled.

Still, no bother :)

Any ideas of a reliable and comprehensive site for getting Amiga game manuals from? I have legit copies of the games I need the manuals for (for the codes) but no manuals as they've been lost over the years.

I've tried loads of Google searches and it's not really returned much useful.

Might be worth dropping Yod@ and RobH a quick PM to see if they have any tips for you on that count...

Edit: I mean about the fast RAM switching :)

Game manuals... sorry, i've no idea. If I owned a game with the code protection, I wouldn't worry about sticking a cracked version on the hard disk.

Ok, thanks.

If you can be arsed, type out those lines that contain AMIGA: (with the colon) for us.

Try adding that line of mine to the section with the ASSIGNs in, then (try just before then just after them all). Pretty hard to debug without the file itself i'm afraid... you don't have it connected to your PC by any chance, do you?

How do I connect a PC to it? Null Modem cable? What software do I need to connect the two machines?

Ok, there's just one line, I have discovered. This is:

Assign >NIL: Games: Amiga:Games

All cases and spaces are correct. I tried removing the Amiga:Games part and got a bootup error on restart. I also tried changing it to Amiga System:Games and the same thing happened. Ideas?

I have a couple of other questions, too. Don't you just love me...? :D

1. Is there a handy list of SHELL commands available?

2. How different is SHELL from AmigaDOS?

3. Is AmigaDOS built-in, or has someone added it to my system as a separate application?

4. How come I can use CD to get to another directory, but not CD.. or

CD .. to go back a directory in SHELL?

5. When I do a directory of:

AMIGA SYSTEM:>Games>I

...it shows I have a copy of IndianaJones-FateOfAtlantis.

However, there's no icon for this game. How do I create a shortcut icon to point at this location?

Definitely F29. Not sure about Cruise For a Corpse. Robocop 3! Hated it, sorry :wub:

I've got an exam now, so i've got to rush off, but i'll answer the others tonight. In the meantime, try replacing:

Assign >NIL: Games: Amiga:Games

...with:

Assign >NIL: Games: HD0:Games

...or whatever the path to your Games directory is on your hard drive (that's HD zero, not HDO by the way).

Ok, thanks.

How do I connect a PC to it? Null Modem cable? What software do I need to connect the two machines?

Ok, there's just one line, I have discovered. This is:

All cases and spaces are correct. I tried removing the Amiga:Games part and got a bootup error on restart. I also tried changing it to Amiga System:Games and the same thing happened. Ideas?

I have a couple of other questions, too. Don't you just love me...? :D

1. Is there a handy list of SHELL commands available?

2. How different is SHELL from AmigaDOS?

3. Is AmigaDOS built-in, or has someone added it to my system as a separate application?

4. How come I can use CD to get to another directory, but not CD.. or

CD .. to go back a directory in SHELL?

5. When I do a directory of:

...it shows I have a copy of IndianaJones-FateOfAtlantis.

However, there's no icon for this game. How do I create a shortcut icon to point at this location?

No worries, I'll try that.

I think I've figured out that AmiaDOS is built-in (if I'm reading the Wiki entry right; please excuse my ignorance) but a link to a good site (whenever you have time) or even a cheap book that lists Shell and/or AmigaDOS commands would be aces high.

The other big deal is the shortcut thing. I think I have quite a few games that are installed but without shortcuts.

A PDF of the F-29 manual would be amazing, mate. I am sure I have it somewhere (it's small and ring-bound, I remember) but I'll never find it!

I think I've figured out that AmiaDOS is built-in (if I'm reading the Wiki entry right; please excuse my ignorance) but a link to a good site (whenever you have time) or even a cheap book that lists Shell and/or AmigaDOS commands would be aces high.

The other big deal is the shortcut thing. I think I have quite a few games that are installed but without shortcuts.

A PDF of the F-29 manual would be amazing, mate. I am sure I have it somewhere (it's small and ring-bound, I remember) but I'll never find it!

In all my years of using Amigas I never once used a shortcut icon for anything. It might have changed with the latest OS, but in general you just ran the programs by clicking on the executable files. I always thought the Windows system of having all the actual files hidden away in system folders, and then operating via an inerface of shortcuts, was overly complicated when I first moved over to using PCs, but given the huge number of programs and storage space modern PCs have, I can see it is more convenient now.

Of course this was before WHDload, that might run better with shortcuts... but when I've used it in winuae I've always used it like I used to use my old Amiga (i.e without shortcuts).

It used to really annoy me how on PCs you couldn't just delete the program from your HD and get rid of it , you have to uninstall everything. The Amiga way of doing it was much more straightforward.

As for the CD/ Cd.. thing, the AmigaDos just didn't support those kind of commands, its too primitive. You have to type CD [full directory path] all the time. Again this might have changed since os 3.

There has to be a way of accessing this. It exists on the drive in the right directory, there's just nothing to click on to run it. Unless the file is bad in some way and therefore the icon doesn't appear? I'll try running it from Shell.

What would be the command to ru the game when I'm in the right directory, from Shell?

Treble, you need this Amigados for beginners. It's really well done with every command and loads of examples. It's in amigaguide format so it's best read on an amiga or in winuae. You can use WinGuide to read it on a PC but it's a bit clunky. You can unpack lha files on a PC with WinRAR.

Treble, did you rename your hard drive? If it was called "Amiga" and you changed it to something else, that would break the assign.

And some games don't run properly from workbench, so they're installed, but you launch them from the startup menu (hold the left mouse button when the amiga is booting) rather than the Workbench gui.

I haven't renamed the drive to the best of my knowledge, no, but good suggestion.

I'm not having any problems loading games from their icons so far, but I will bear your suggestion in mind in case I get future problems, thanks.

I managed to find Indiana Jones. I had a look through the right-button options and there's one called Window -> Show Files and you can choose 'Icons' or 'All Files'. I chose the latter and the drawer appeared :)

I better collate my outstanding problems so you all know where we're up to!

1) I get the message about being unable to find AMIGA, and have tried renaming according to all the suggestions (including the DH0 one, above) but they haven't worked.

2) I need codes for some of the games, and manuals for others, particularly the code wheel for Cruise for a Corpse and the manual for F-29 Retaliator.

3) New one: I can't save games in Syndicate. It's one of my faves of all time and the first I booted up. When I choose to save, there's HDD activity but when I reload after the machine's been off, there's nothing there. I can load new games then reload the save game as long as the machine stays on, so it must either be a) writing the save to RAM or b ) saving to HDD but erasing it as soon as the game is switched off. Any ideas?

3) New one: I can't save games in Syndicate. It's one of my faves of all time and the first I booted up. When I choose to save, there's HDD activity but when I reload after the machine's been off, there's nothing there. I can load new games then reload the save game as long as the machine stays on, so it must either be a) writing the save to RAM or b ) saving to HDD but erasing it as soon as the game is switched off. Any ideas?

Yeah, try quitting the game properly after you save. IIRC to do that you have to move the pointer to the top left corner of the screen and click and/or press Esc or shift/esc. something like that, anyway.