Does Snuff Exist?

CarloOos

Bah, they pussied out of showing the money shot with the pole from Cannibal Holocaust. Fair enough, despite the fact the entire scene and plenty more were shown uncut a few months ago in some 'Top 50 Shocking Moments' show I saw on Ch5.

I've never seen any footage from a Guinea Pig film before despite having heard a lot about them, but from the clips shown in this show it's so blatantly obvious it wasn't real I don't know how anyone who knew about filmmaking could mistake it for snuff.

Not the effects, they're extremely convincing, but the way the whole thing is shot, lit and edited like a film with multiple angles and various different shots. Anyone with a clue about what goes on behind the scenes should have known it wasn't real, never mind someone who deals with it every day like Charlie Sheen.

The concept behind the "Guinea Pig" movies is nauseating and quite depressing.

I'm not sure what the concept is exactly, but the ones I've seen are rank. Although Mermaid in a Manhole seems to have a (little) bit more depth than most stuff of that ilk.

Hope this programme turns up on UKNova since I can't watch it now, have they mentioned Charlie Sheen in relation to Guinea Pig?

I'm no expert, but wasn't proper "snuff" filmed by the Italian Mafia during the seventies, for viewing at parties? Probably all playground myth of course.

Faces of Death, cooh, it's a while since I've seen that and what a load of old bollocks it was.

I've never wanted to watch a Faces Of Death movie and really have no desire to ever see one.

There is a clip quite common where a news editor shots himself in the head. Its not disturbing at all though there is alot of blood.

But snuff 'people killed on cam' is actually quite disturbing. Luckily I've never seen any nor do I have any desire to do so.

It's about paying to kill people, but it's got nothing to do with broadcasting it. In the film you pay to kill someone, they put you in an empty room with just you and the person and you can kill them however you want. Then they dispose of the body. There's no real snuff element to it, unlike the film they showed afterwards.

I love these documentaries, when they start of with a really sensational bit of speculation (a very old one at that) then follow up with a load of experts, and people who have really researched the subject... which all seems to point towards it being just that... a sensational bit of speculation...

Then they conclude with a voiceover saying its almost certainly true!

Anyway I thought it was interesting to see the "extra"scene from Snuff, which I'd only read about before, I can imagine it would be pretty shocking to have seen it at the cinema at the time.

It's about paying to kill people, but it's got nothing to do with broadcasting it. In the film you pay to kill someone, they put you in an empty room with just you and the person and you can kill them however you want. Then they dispose of the body. There's no real snuff element to it, unlike the film they showed afterwards.

Oh, right, some of the Hostel promo stuff sorta suggested broadcasting things.

Guess it does link into the voyeuristic/ exploitative/ moral detachment concepts snuff represents... but I doubt they brought much of that up.

I love these documentaries, when they start of with a really sensational bit of speculation (a very old one at that) then follow up with a load of experts, and people who have really researched the subject... which all seems to point towards it being just that... a sensational bit of speculation...

Then they conclude with a voiceover saying its almost certainly true!

Well I think you'd be quite daft to believe one has never been made and sold somewhere in the world.

It is just one of the world's biggest urban myths. Certainly nothing's ever been turned up by anyone involved in investigating the idea, though I wouldn't be surprised if snuff films of some sort had been made - but I don't mean features with stories, I mean pre-planned filmed footage of killings (not executions). It would be so far underground as to essentially not exist as far as the world at large goes.

It is just one of the world's biggest urban myths. Certainly nothing's ever been turned up by anyone involved in investigating the idea, though I wouldn't be surprised if snuff films of some sort had been made - but I don't mean features with stories, I mean pre-planned filmed footage of killings (not executions). It would be so far underground as to essentially not exist as far as the world at large goes.

Yeah, but Sabreman, you're forgetting that it's only really America, Britain and a few other countries around the world with the resources to track this sort of stuff. It could easily exist on the black market in one of those obscure East European countries that ends in '-stan'. They're shifty as fuck.

Off the top of my head, there's never really been a good film about the snuff industry. Just really average ones like 8mm and old tat like Snuff itself. It's such an interesting yet fucked up idea that this underground industry exists you'd expect there'd be at least one really gripping film about it.

That 'Hardcore' they mentioned is meant to be good but I've never seen it.

the popularity of ogrish and Rotten shows that there's certainly a big enough market for people wanting to see people dying, so I imagine a small proportion of those would want to see people delibrately killed for the camera and maybe even do it themselves...even if a snuff film doesn't currently exist, I think the desire is certainly there.

Off the top of my head, there's never really been a good film about the snuff industry. Just really average ones like 8mm and old tat like Snuff itself. It's such an interesting yet fucked up idea that this underground industry exists you'd expect there'd be at least one really gripping film about it.

Videodrome touches on it.. Not the industy obviously, but the concept and that.

Wouldn't those various execution videos that seem to pop up from Iraq every few months qualify, to some degree, as snuff? Certainly, they aren't getting spread round the web on the back of people's moral outrage at it...

In this programme they said they are one of the closest things to "real" snuff, but they still don't fill all the criteria because the killing/ filming isn't the main motive, they are political...

Much as the morbid fascination with such a concept would have us believe they are real, I'm quite convinced that they aren't.

I recommend everyone to read this page on the subject at Snopes :

Snuff Films - Are They Real?

If you still believe that there is such a thing as a snuff film industry after reading all that, then you have a wilder imagination than I do.

I always thought snuff films where defined as a film or clip that showed someone being killed simply for entertainments sake. All the Iraq stuff isn't snuff because those people weren't killed for entertainment purposes (whether people do find entertainment in them (!) is beside the point I guess).