rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mindgames

My first pixel art

Been wanting to do some isometric pixel art for a while, only recently had chance. These are my first 2 efforts, the chimneys one is going to be a big city scape with lots of details and a metal slug vibe (I hope!)

The second is just a doodle I've done as practice really.

So let me know what you think, I've seen some good examples on here and would value an opinion on my pixel fundamentals. And post yours as well!

chimney1copy3pp.jpg

desk1copy0lw.jpg

Excellent stuff dude - there's a whole world of little techniques and tricks that you can only pick up with practice so keep at it. If you haven't already, check out http://www.x-panded.com/pixeldam/index.asp - there's lots of really cool stuff there.

I've been working on a pixel drawing of a local pub for over two years now (that sounds better then it is - I've only done about 12 hours work in that time) and I'm nowhere near finished. I'll post it up tomorrow as a reminder to myself to keep working at it.

Excellent stuff dude - there's a whole world of little techniques and tricks that you can only pick up with practice so keep at it. If you haven't already, check out http://www.x-panded.com/pixeldam/index.asp - there's lots of really cool stuff there.

Ahh, I saw that site ages ago, forgot what it was called, some good stuff on that. You got a plot on there Looper?

Looking forward to seeing the pub as well!

Ahh, I saw that site ages ago, forgot what it was called, some good stuff on that. You got a plot on there Looper?

The pub was/is for there... if I ever finish the bastard!

blocktemplatedl7wq.gif

Obviously, totally and utterly unfinished, plus the layers are all over the place. I had no 'plan' when I started it and it's probably going to be more work to fix the things I've done wrong then it is to actually start adding the detail.

I WILL finish it though!

All looking good to me, the smoke and shadows on the chimneys works well.

Look forward to seeing the finished pic.

Cheers for that, I really like the pixel stuff I've seen of yours so it means a lot.

Obviously, totally and utterly unfinished, plus the layers are all over the place. I had no 'plan' when I started it and it's probably going to be more work to fix the things I've done wrong then it is to actually start adding the detail.

I WILL finish it though!

That's looking good, I hope you finish it, it could look really smart. What sort of look are you going for? Bit of a run down joint or is it going to be a bit posh?

Looking good, keep up the good work mindgames and Looper :unsure:

Will do, done a bit more today, the windows were harder than I thought they would be, pretty happy with them though, needs a bit of work to stop them looking repeated, little details here and there.

chimney1bcopy0ud.jpg

Cheers for that, I really like the pixel stuff I've seen of yours so it means a lot.

That's looking good, I hope you finish it, it could look really smart. What sort of look are you going for? Bit of a run down joint or is it going to be a bit posh?

Will do, done a bit more today, the windows were harder than I thought they would be, pretty happy with them though, needs a bit of work to stop them looking repeated, little details here and there.

chimney1bcopy0ud.jpg

That's really good! The curve of the windows must have been a bastard to do?

That's really good! The curve of the windows must have been a bastard to do?

Cheers Looper. Yeh, the windows really were a pain. But then I looked at some of the stuff on Pixeldam, some of the curves on there are insane like the country club/mansion tiled floor. My little windows look nothing compared to those.

I think I will start to build a library of bits now before I go much further.

Looking at these images makes me think that Mindgames is actually a full on professional pixel artist, and he's posting these as his apparent 'firsts' in a twisted sort of ego building way.

But, if you aren't, then you're truely a wee prodigy, and i tip my hat to you.

The whole gaming emotion is right as well, they really do bring forth the want to play games in this style.

I think the beauty of Iso art is that you never see the other side. 3D is all too well realised, there's nothing left to the imagination. Here you can only see the front side, and you've no idea what's round the back, its all left to you making it up yourselves.

That makes me want to play Little Big Adventure and Crusader: No Regret

Little Big Adventure!! I always wanted to play that...

I think Syndicate has been an inspiration. I'd love to make a game of it, just wouldnt know where to start, I am contemplating putting them in Flash when its done to add a bit of animation.

Looking at these images makes me think that Mindgames is actually a full on professional pixel artist, and he's posting these as his apparent 'firsts' in a twisted sort of ego building way.

But, if you aren't, then you're truely a wee prodigy, and i tip my hat to you.

The whole gaming emotion is right as well, they really do bring forth the want to play games in this style.

I think the beauty of Iso art is that you never see the other side. 3D is all too well realised, there's nothing left to the imagination. Here you can only see the front side, and you've no idea what's round the back, its all left to you making it up yourselves.

Aww thanks, I swear they are my first efforts. I do have a Technical Illustration degree which probably helps though. I will struggle when I come to doing pixel people though, I'm crap at drawing people.

I love looking a tpixel art pictures, and am going to have a go myself.

What software do you use?

All done in Photoshop 7.

aw man, my eyes, i cant see.

Inspired by this thread i started my own pixel art pic, ive been staring at the screen all day and my eyes are fucked!! ill post it up when i finish it.

I think i may have jumped in at the deep end however.....

its very theropuetic though.

aw man, my eyes, i cant see.

Inspired by this thread i started my own pixel art pic, ive been staring at the screen all day and my eyes are fucked!! ill post it up when i finish it.

I think i may have jumped in at the deep end however.....

its very theropuetic though.

I've found it very addictive, very hard to stop adding to it. Dont do any before you go to sleep or you'll be placing pixels in your head all night!