Mickey Finn

Bryan Gee

Randal

Nicky Blackmarket

Futurebound

Tom Neville

Justin Robertson

Freelance Hellraiser

Tempting... last year's was ace, although I wonder if I'm getting a bit too old for two-nighters... even if I did go home to bed in between the two nights!

No-one in there that REALLY grabs me, but to be honest at most of these events it tends to be the random stuff that's more interesting than the big acts. Well, aside from Homelands 1999 where I saw Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Underworld and Basement Jaxx all live on the same night. But I'm not holding out for that happening again...

Also kind of tempted by Creamfields - Prodigy (although tbc still) and Goldfrapp live, DJ lineup isn't quite as good as Global though and it's a bit of a trek - although the one time I've been to it I managed to drive Liverpool to Oxford in 2 1/4 hours the next morning... :wub:

What does it mean (live)?

Are the rest...not live?

'Live' as a definition in electronic music is difficult to pin down.

Generally I take it to mean that the artist will be playing tracks of their own from a mixture of sequencing software & hardware, that have some element of improvisational performance to them, as opposed to just a DJ standing there playing records on a set of decks. This is often misleading though, because many electronic acts who are billed as playing "live", merely walk up on stage, press play, & then twiddle with a few knobs (..ahem..) giving the illusion that they are doing more than they actually are.

With the birth of software such as Ableton Live though, there's definitely the potential for electronic music to become fully "on-the-fly", & you're starting to see more & more of this type of performance happening.

It usually just means they're playing their own material rather than DJing, doesn't it?

That's pretty poor if there are acts out there that are really just playing their own records rather than performing them, when they're billed as live. I'd assume if someone's playing live then what they're playing is going to be recognisably different from their recordings, even if it's not a massive difference.

It usually just means they're playing their own material rather than DJing, doesn't it?

Aye. Although in this case I wonder what Groove Armada are doing? If they do DJing they normally go under their individual names e.g. Andy Cato (Groove Armada)

Ive been the last few years.. I actualy enjoyed the muddy year better than last year so this summer i'm heading to HiFi instead.. its sort of a "grown up" global gathering..

http://www.hififestival.com

'Live' as a definition in electronic music is difficult to pin down.

Generally I take it to mean that the artist will be playing tracks of their own from a mixture of sequencing software & hardware, that have some element of improvisational performance to them, as opposed to just a DJ standing there playing records on a set of decks. This is often misleading though, because many electronic acts who are billed as playing "live", merely walk up on stage, press play, & then twiddle with a few knobs (..ahem..) giving the illusion that they are doing more than they actually are.

With the birth of software such as Ableton Live though, there's definitely the potential for electronic music to become fully "on-the-fly", & you're starting to see more & more of this type of performance happening.

Most "live" shows are pants..

for a real LIVE show check out james zabelia..

• 3 months later...

Bumpity-bump...

It's this weekend, the weather looks ace, Daft Punk haven't cancelled yet...

Anyone else off to stand in a Warwickshire field and reach for the lasers?

I'll be there the Saturday evening.

Unfortunately I'm gonna miss Jeff Mills and Daft Punk, but I'm looking forward to Josh Wink and Adam Beyer. Should be a good one if the weather stays like this...

Stupid bloody Global Gathering. Friday looks amazing (Sasha, Hybrid live, the Air tent) but there's no Friday only ticket. I have no desire whatsoever to go to the Saturday and I'm certainly not paying £112 for just the Friday night.

Knobs.

Let's hope so :D

Let's hope they don't cancel at the last minute :D

Are you going ?

I am off on my own as my mates pulled out due to a severe case of poverty. PM me your number for hooking up I dont bite honest :wub:

Are you going ?

I am off on my own as my mates pulled out due to a severe case of poverty. PM me your number for hooking up I dont bite honest :wub:

Oh no, I'm not going. My silly post makes that I am, sorry about that.

I assume everyone was on too much of a comedown yesterday to post...!

We had a goodnight on Saturday. Did a fair bit of tent hopping and saw a few DJs before collapsing in a space blanket at about 4am. Bedrock was the best tent for me and Josh Wink in particular. Anyway, here's a quick run down of who I saw:

Fergie

Audio Bullys (they were shit)

Fatboy Slim (i thought he was playing live, but it was just a DJ set??)

Kenny Dope

Paul Oakenfold

Adam Beyer

Josh Wink

John Digweed

Eric Prydz (thought this was gonna be commercial shite, but it was wicked electro-techno stuff)

Grooverider

Mampi Swift

Took some photos so if there's any good ones I might post them up later.