Guitar Hero II

tejstar

I converted all my fave GH1 songs into GH2 last night and burnt the disk. It worked! So much nicer to have More Than A Feeling and Ziggy in 480p widescreen with the more lenient GH2 engine, i'm tempted to make my own songs now.

I couldn't agree more!

I finished Medium mode last night, and thought I'd have a quick bash on Hard. Despite managing to do Medium straight through without losing a song (ok, maybe not a great achievement!), I found Hard to be nigh on impossible! A great pity as coming up against such a wall means that I may not end up playing this much more. Could definitely do with an interim level.

I've Medium 5 starred as well so I'm ready to jump into Hard.

Hold me.

I converted all my fave GH1 songs into GH2 last night and burnt the disk. It worked! So much nicer to have More Than A Feeling and Ziggy in 480p widescreen with the more lenient GH2 engine, i'm tempted to make my own songs now.

Was it easy to do? Do the songs sound/work okay?

Got a PS2HDD so could easily do this, and have Guitar Hero explorer, but I can't seem to find more information on getting the songs from GH1 into GH2 (as far as I know they are in a different fomat).

Any chance you could give some more info?

I've Medium 5 starred as well so I'm ready to jump into Hard.

Hold me.

What all of it? Lawks I've still got the Freebird,PBF and Hanger 18 and 2 more left to totally 5* medium.

Now Vemsie recall what i said to you when you first tried medium :lol: I love being correct :lol:

Woman on Hard is my sticking point still, but then again I've not had a working 360 for 2 weeks now :lol:

What all of it? Lawks I've still got the Freebird,PBF and Hanger 18 and 2 more left to totally 5* medium.

Now Vemsie recall what i said to you when you first tried medium :lol: I love being correct :lol:

Woman on Hard is my sticking point still, but then again I've not had a working 360 for 2 weeks now :lol:

So to get past the wall I've hit trying to go from Medium to Hard, is the consensus to try and 5* Medium first? Would that really make Hard any more do-able? It's that damn Orange fret that gets me all the time!!

Was it easy to do? Do the songs sound/work okay?

It was relatively easy, yes. You need to use the GHex tool to extract the .VGS and .MID file for each song you want from Guitar Hero 1 and then import those two files over the top of a song in Guitar Hero 2 (I used the shop songs I never play anyway). Then you burn the disk (guide: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5925 ).

The songs work exactly as they did in GH1, cutting out the guitar if you miss a note, pitch bend working properly etc. You can't play them co-op tho, cos there's no rythm/bass info in GH1.

Freya on expert is about the most punishment my wrists have taken since... well, you get the idea.

The repeated G>O>RB part of the breakdown gets me every time and, to date, has prompted me to snarl some quite guttural and, I'm sure, entirely unique obscenities at my television.

So to get past the wall I've hit trying to go from Medium to Hard, is the consensus to try and 5* Medium first? Would that really make Hard any more do-able? It's that damn Orange fret that gets me all the time!!

I'd say once you've played through medium you should just rock on with hard, it does feel like a bit of a step up but it's much more rewarding when you do get it than medium, and when you go back you'll 5* medium songs without any effort.

Be aware of crazy difficulty spikes, I got stuck on woman for a bit but the bunch of songs after it are notably easier.

Freya on expert is about the most punishment my wrists have taken since... well, you get the idea.

The repeated G>O>RB part of the breakdown gets me every time and, to date, has prompted me to snarl some quite guttural and, I'm sure, entirely unique obscenities at my television.

It's the biggest hand-fuck in the game, that. That was my major wall on expert, that track.

Hehe. You were correct indeed. :D

Carry Me Home was the last one for me.

Using the pinky suddenly clicked, it's the up/down strumming that I need to master next.

Such a great experience.

I found misirlou a bit of an anti climax, i expected it to be impossible on hard, and in the end foudn it easiler than PBF.

Misirlou Hard and Expert are very different beasts. There are far more notes to play on Expert and my poor hand can't keep up.

It's the biggest hand-fuck in the game, that. That was my major wall on expert, that track.

Well, I managed to best it last night on my second attempt. By the time I got to the end, it felt as though the veins in my wrists were pumping boiling Tabasco sauce. Entirely worth it, though.

Psychobilly Freakout doesn't seem to be as tough as I'd feared it might (90% through on my one try so far), but Laid To Rest is orders of magnitude more difficult than it was on hard. The less said about The Trooper's solo, the better.

To sum up, I'm awful at expert.

I haven't been on for a few days so I don't know when it was added, but I just got an update when I turned it on, what did it do?

Is this a new update? Over the past 2 days, the game has been freezing when playing any song. I had to delete the cache from the drive and then refuse to download the update, which now seems to have fixed the problem. Has anyone else noticed this?

What I'm hoping for the 360 version of GHII, is the option to download the songs from the original.

That'd be totally sweet.

Remember when we all used to believe that this would actually happen?

Still no comment from RedOctane on their official forum, and it's been over two months now since the first (only?) set.

I reckon they've just given up on the whole sorry affair.

:(

Well I'm glad I didn't bother getting it

I'm still glad I got it. I like the online leaderboards.

I just wish I could play Cowboys From Hell again. I'm still inside the Score Hero top 1% for that song on the PS2; I'd like to see how I would stack up against the Xbox Live masses.

I never really believed they would have new exclusive songs for the 360 version - I always assumed they'd save those for GH3.

yeah i want free songs from the first one :(

Free? Be serious.