The Ultimate Lasagna

Davros sock drawer

Aye, you'll need something deep, and ideally you don't want a tin, but a proper baking dish - something like this, or failing that a rectangular pyrex casserole dish will see you through.

If you need to buy one... well, do! Baking dishes greatly expand your cooking options, and will last forever (short of dropping them on the floor so they break, of course).

Just eaten it.

I'll preface this by saying I didn't add carrot because I only like it raw. I couldn't find parmesan in the supermarket. I don't like bechemel sauce so did what WK did (cottage cheese and ricotta, but without the parmesan obv.). Also forgot the bay leaves. Oh and the garlic was off so I didn't use it.

That aside it all went to plan. Except I don't have a cork screw so ended up pushing it into the bottle (I drank the rest anyway so no loss). THAT ASIDE it all went to plan.

It was okay, I mean better than what I normally eat. But it did take a long time. Altogether it cost me £18, but I don't think I could get 9 servings out of it like I'd need to if I wanted to repeat it. Stuck it in the oven for the prescribed time and temperature, but the pasta was overly chewey I felt.

Will post pics soon so you can all mock me :lol:

Haven't you just moved to Hackney? Where about? A train ride to a butchers? Hackney, Dalston, Stokey, London Fields etc etc etc are jam packed with all kinds of awesome butchers, grocers etc.

Hackney Wick. Yeah they're only a stop away and within walking distance, I think I'm just a bit lazy (and it being fucking boiling don't want to be walking around with meat for half an hour).

The lasagne improved overnight. In fact I think the recipe is too good, it was meant to last a week... I ate it all :o

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made 2x sauce and it it was the right amount. I imagine the volume would have "served 8" so between the four of us (in the end) it was just about enough!

"it" is probably still on rocky ground but I would say there had been a stay of execution and I am happy to ascribe that to the power of Ultimate lasagna (and GÜ pots + whisky!)

• 3 months later...

If you're going to edit the first post I'd make it explicitly clear that you have done.

I'd be annoyed if someone edited a recipe I'd written without my knowledge.

Shame davros doesn't post here anymore, I remember having a disagreement about how much salt to add to pasta water (lol) but have since learnt he was right and I was wrong! So If you still lurk about, I stand corrected!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love making lasagne. I usually bang in loads of red wine, some bacon/ham/chorizo/chicken livers occasionally. Reduce it for ages in the oven and put grated egg layered in the mix too.

I want to try making with half beef mince/half pork mince, ive heard this works well.

I love making lasagne. I usually bang in loads of red wine, some bacon/ham/chorizo/chicken livers occasionally. Reduce it for ages in the oven and put grated egg layered in the mix too.

I want to try making with half beef mince/half pork mince, ive heard this works well.

The last one I made had minced pork, minced beef, and sausage in it along with the standards of ricotta, cottage cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella. so good.

• 2 months later...

Made this today for dinner - homemade pasta sheets and everything - went down a storm with the whole family (and there's enough for dinner with a few chips tomorrow) - my girlfriend actually went as far as to say it's the best lasagne she's ever tasted. With this and the cheesecake Davros is becoming a legend in my household :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...