The Ultimate Lasagna

Davros sock drawer

I wouldn't use chicken, but I suppose it's feasible.

You've got a good one coming up next if you're making the brownies. Just don't burn the pecans, and try to resist cutting them while it's still hot, as it's much messier.

Cheers. I'm sure there will be some more of my stupid questions popping up in the brownies thread soon.

Do you have plans for any other ultimates davros?

I do enjoy them :D

Davros did brilliantly with these, but some others really should have been more involved and not left all the work up to him (and I include myself in that). It would be nice to see some discusion about doing some new ultimates in here though, as they certianly sparked great interest and debate. I do think though that if it does resurface we shouldn't look to Davros to have to be the one to do all the work again* (unless he wants to).

* Although how successfull these would have been without his mouth watering photography skills is anyones guess.

That was my own fault really. I basically said that rather than let the thing drift I would definitely do one a week if no-one else wanted to have a go, so I made quite a rod for my own back. I really enjoyed it though, and I'd be glad to maybe do the odd one or two again. I did the Fish & Chip one a while back, but it's not in the pinned list for some reason.

The main thing was the discussion thread though, so we'd need to get that rolling again.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've been meaning to try one of the Ultimates after doing the bangers and mash and breaded pork cutlet things last year (yeah, I know. I've been experimenting with Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book in the meantime so I have been cooking since then - honest!).

Anyway, so I gave this a shot on Tuesday and.... fucked it up. I didn't make enough Bechamel sauce for the fairly liberal coating I had expected to be able to make, plus I compounded my error by putting lasagna sheets on the *bottom* of the oven tray. Balls.

Aside from the occasional bits of hard lasagna sheet and that last bay leaf that I failed to retrieve and now lies ninja-like to pounce on me when I least expect it, it tasted fantastic. I couldn't work out if my sister was disgusted or impressed when I dumped half of bottle of red wine into it, though I gave my Dad some of the wine and he declared it fit to drink and therefore fit to cook with in Floyd's view.

So, the lessons learned would be to make more Bechamel and start layering the lasagna in the tray with the ragu, but apart from that it was great and I'd do it again without a second thought. Brilliant stuff and a hearty round of applause to Davros for taking the time to put this together.

*insert animated clapping smiley gif here*

:lol:

It is mentioned somewhere in the thread that the original post has the measurements for the Bechamel wrong. You need to roughly double the milk, butter and flour.

Yes as you say it goes meat sauce - lasagne sheets - Bechamel - Meat Sauce and so on finishing with Bechamel and some grated Parmesan if you like.

I made the Ragu last night and chucked in some mushrooms and had it with Spaghetti. There is loads left and I am gonna make a small lasagna tonight. Nom nom nom.

I miss Davros. :(

Man I normally spend nothing more than £2 per meal (and I eat once a day). That's some expensive shit right there.

I read it and I've modified it slightly in my mind. Here's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Brown some beef mince in olive oil, chuck in them tinned tomatoes and some chopped yellow pepper, throw in a jar of de-stoned olives, bit of sugar. Don't bother with the cheese shit or the pasta sheets or the baking, just eat it out of the pan and stick the rest in tupperware. Saves washing, saves cooking for next four days.

Get that weak shit off my track.* This is The Ultimate Lasagne thread, not The Ultimate Miserly Student's Ballsed Up Ragu.

I've made a few vegetarian (cheese & spinach base, rather than vegetable ragu base) lasagne in the last year, but none worthy of Ultimate status. Still trying to get the blue-cheese bitterness to just the right levels. Getting closer each try, though!

*out of this thread

my mum made a kick ass lasagne that was half beef half venison. I tend not to use bechamel sauce myself. Can't stand it in as lasagne because it just seems ready meal.

I've never made it with bechemel for the same reason, I use a mixture of cottage cheese and ricotta instead.

I was thinking about making lasagne tonight, and after reading this I think that's a definite. No 'meat' meat though, gonna chuck in loads of seafood :)

What the Fugu? Man, take that shit to the kerb!

Well you'll both be pleased to know it was an epic fail. Quite possibly the least flavoursome thing ever, more flavour in the air I breathe. It's just food though.

I've never made it with bechemel for the same reason, I use a mixture of cottage cheese and ricotta instead.

I was thinking about making lasagne tonight, and after reading this I think that's a definite. No 'meat' meat though, gonna chuck in loads of seafood :huh:

Same way I have always made it. Ricotta, cottage cheese and some freshly grated parmesan stirred together with some black pepper and then used for layering. I really must make lasagna again soon.

Man I normally spend nothing more than £2 per meal (and I eat once a day). That's some expensive shit right there.

I read it and I've modified it slightly in my mind. Here's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Brown some beef mince in olive oil, chuck in them tinned tomatoes and some chopped yellow pepper, throw in a jar of de-stoned olives, bit of sugar. Don't bother with the cheese shit or the pasta sheets or the baking, just eat it out of the pan and stick the rest in tupperware. Saves washing, saves cooking for next four days.

Depending on where you shop, it will come to well less than £2 a meal. When I make a lasagna, it will usually feed the two of us for a week if we have it was a jacket potato and a salad, and you can usually just portion it out and stick it in the freezer for later. Dead easy to reheat.

Davros did brilliantly with these, but some others really should have been more involved and not left all the work up to him (and I include myself in that). It would be nice to see some discusion about doing some new ultimates in here though, as they certianly sparked great interest and debate. I do think though that if it does resurface we shouldn't look to Davros to have to be the one to do all the work again* (unless he wants to).

In that case, should we start up a thread to collate ideas for new Ultimate dishes and then see who is up for taking them on (with photos too!)?

3 years on from this thread benig created and finally made the Lasagne. It was lush. Will definitely be making it again in the future. I halved the ingredients because it was just for two of us and found that the Ragu was ready in about 1.5hours. So very tasty and not sloppy like some Lasagne seem to be.

Nice one Davros.

Same way I have always made it. Ricotta, cottage cheese and some freshly grated parmesan stirred together with some black pepper and then used for layering. I really must make lasagna again soon.

So you just stir ricotta, cottage cheese and parmesan together and use that in the same place bechamel would go?

Depending on where you shop, it will come to well less than £2 a meal. When I make a lasagna, it will usually feed the two of us for a week if we have it was a jacket potato and a salad, and you can usually just portion it out and stick it in the freezer for later. Dead easy to reheat.

I know this is a stupid fucking question, but.

1) How do you freeze shit? I've never frozen stuff to reheat it at a later date. With lasagne do I just stick the tin it was baked in, in the freezer (once it has cooled down obv.)? Or do I have to use some kind of vacuum bag? Does the pasta not go hard? How do I reheat it, just in the oven? I've never reheated a fucking thing! Or by freeze are we talking about freezing the ragu and then making the lasagne from that? Cos given that I get back from work at 11pm frequently and then go to bed at 12 for the next day, that sounds time consuming :)

2) How on earth do you get all those ingredients for £2 a meal? I mean this weeks food came in at about 9 quid but I eat a load of fucking cock half the time and feel tired the rest because of it; I'd love to do this shit instead.

You can put it in its baking dish too, as long as the dish is freezer-proof. Then, as rbc says, you just put it in the oven when you want to eat it next - times and temperatures will vary with the dish and the amount left over, though. Just check the food every fifteen/twenty minutes until it's piping hot to the centre, and you're done!

re: freezing

http://www.tupperware.co.uk/

Make, split, box, freeze.

for reheating either stick it back in the oven or if you're in a rush microwave it first.

^^ thats what i do, except instead of tupperware, I just save the plastic snap containers from the chinese takeaway and use those. It's a lot easier to split if you cut it up directly from having it in the fridge.

As far as the ingredients go, it's dead easy. Meals only get expensive when you are making enough food for one base meal everyday like prawn salad, and then pork chops, and then chicken, then spaghetti so what I like to do is go food shopping and then get enough food that I can keep rolling stuff out during the week, If I'm making say a pot of ragu, then

£2.59 for 700g of mince from the butchers, a tube of double concentrate tomato puree for 1.09, 69p for a tin of tomatoes , already had herbs, carrots, stock, and onions and bulked it out with some red lentils from the cupboard and using that as a base, you can easily make bolognese, individual cottage pies, or chili which will last over the week

Or for a bit more variety. I'll buy a massive chicken. It might seem expensive as hell to spend £7 on one chicken but on Sunday you can have roasted chicken with vegetables, then on Monday chicken wraps with some of the leftover roast chicken and roasted veg, then you can have chicken risotto on Wednesday, and soup from the rest of the carcass on Thursday meaning that the £7 chicken has only ended up costing you about £1.40 per meal or 70p a meal if there are two of you.

We were on a budget drive months ago whilst buying our house so instead of making the paste myself, I just bought a jar of Pataks Vindaloo paste for like a pound from the shop.

packet of jumbo chicken thighs from Sainsburys (5 in pack and was about 1.60kg) £4.19

2 tins of sainsburys own chopped tomatoes 70p

tin of chickpeas 55p

about a cup of green puy lentils (already had these)

jar of pataks vindaloo paste £1

2 onions 40p

I just cut the onions and put them on the bottom of the slow cooker. added the tinned tomatoes along with half a tin of water, and the paste and gave that a stir, left the chicken on the bone and added that then put the top on and left it for about 6 hours on auto.

Took the chicken thighs out, took the meat off the bone, chopped it and then put it back in the slow cooker along with the chickpeas and lentils and then left it for another 2 hours and served it over some rice.

All of the ingredients came up to £6.84 but over the course of the week it will cost us less than 50p each per meal

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely be giving it a go. Maybe today actually, even if it is a train ride to the fucking butchers :lol:

What do you bake lasagne in? I've got two tins, one is large and I use to stick a pizza on (an oven tin? Fairly shallow)... the other is a bread tin... would either of these do? I don't want to buy yet another tin as we have fuck all space in the kitchen left. I suck at this ;)

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely be giving it a go. Maybe today actually, even if it is a train ride to the fucking butchers :lol:

What do you bake lasagne in? I've got two tins, one is large and I use to stick a pizza on (an oven tin? Fairly shallow)... the other is a bread tin... would either of these do? I don't want to buy yet another tin as we have fuck all space in the kitchen left. I suck at this ;)

You'll need a fairly deep pan to put it in