The Ultimate Lasagna

Davros sock drawer

I had an interesting lasagna in a restuarant in Streatham which contained pumpkin. I do have to say though it was rather tasty, even if it didn't have the tomato taste to it.

Thousand layer lasagna is by far the best lasagna I've ever had, and I LOVE meat!!

You taking the piss?

No, the complete opposite, you genuninely are being modest.

We all know your lasagna is going to be amazing, so please next time share the wealth, take some pics and allow us to drool.

Sorry it came across like that.

Lasagne must be one of those dishes that everyone loves. My dear old mum makes a blinder. I reckon I could turn up anywhere and appreciate a half decent lasagne.

On the other hand, my girl's dad often puts raisins in his.

I adore this meal but have had to stop eating it. It makes me pretty ill every time I have some. I really miss lasagne.

No, the complete opposite, you genuninely are being modest.

We all know your lasagna is going to be amazing, so please next time share the wealth, take some pics and allow us to drool.

Sorry it came across like that.

Sorry man, my Rllmukasm detector was set to full.

It makes me pretty ill every time I have some.

What makes you ill, are you allergic to lasagna!?

That would be a tragedy!

Made two of these over the weekend -- lovely. I may save a bit of cash and not bother with the pancetta next time as I find it's not all that detectable after such long cooking. It certainly loses that nice saltiness anyway.

Also if you can you should probably update the OP with better bechamel quantities. I've found 50g flour/50g butter/1 ltr milk produces a suitable amount of bechamel for that amount of ragu/pasta.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is actually bloody lovely - it's become a staple of my lasagne, even though it would probably kill an Italian from shock if they discovered it.

That seems like a tame (and yummy) deviation.

I investigated a friend's unusual looking lasagne and enquired as to it's ingredients. As well as having a sprinkling of mixed seeds on the top (sunflower, pumpkin etc) he said it also had cornflakes inside.

Yes. Cornflakes. Anyone tried this?

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of making this. Just to clarify a couple of questions for a noob.

The Bechamel: Some people seem to suggest that the quantities in the original post are wrong. What should be used?

Just to make sure I don't fuck up a lovely looking dish, you say put a layer of meat sauce, then lasagne, then bechamel. Then meat sauce, lasagne and bechamel again? And continue up like that finishing with Bechamel?

The last one I made, I put ragu on the bottom, with some bechamel in a middle layer. It all went a bit sloppy though when the bechamel kinda leaked through, so I'd recommend using 50g flour/50g butter/1ltr milk but only doing bechamel on the top and bottom layers. Then alternate ragu with mozarella+parmesan, adding pasta layers in between as required.

I made this yesterday. I saw an earlier post saying that the ragu can be used as a perfect bolognese so I did that yesterday. There was about half left after three adults and a child had it and 3 lunches too. Today I made a small lasagne and despite there being slightly too little meat sauce and slightly too much bechamel it was amazing. I will try and post pics tomorrow if I can get them off my phone. Best Lasagne ever.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm slowly workng my way through all the ultimates. Risotto and Lasagne done. Brownies next. Nom.

EDIT: Actually that reminds me, can this be made with just chicken mince? My sister in law only eats chicken, the crazy fool.

I'm slowly workng my way through all the ultimates. Risotto and Lasagne done. Brownies next. Nom.

EDIT: Actually that reminds me, can this be made with just chicken mince? My sister in law only eats chicken, the crazy fool.

I wouldn't use chicken, but I suppose it's feasible.

You've got a good one coming up next if you're making the brownies. Just don't burn the pecans, and try to resist cutting the brownies while they're still hot, as it's much messier.