The Ultimate Lasagna

Davros sock drawer

Well then we have a winner :)

I do wish the recipe said that. It's not obvious to a novice.

Edit: <sigh> Oh well, at least I now know. Doesn't explain the first attempt though. I've got an oven thermometer on the way to see what's what.

That's ok, I'm just glad to get an answer to the problem.

I don't know how you manage to get so many layers out of the Bechamel though. Maybe the dish I'm using is oversized for the quantity - I wouldn't have had any sauce left for the top anyway :(

Well then we have a winner :(

I do wish the recipe said that. It's not obvious to a novice.

Edit: <sigh> Oh well, at least I now know. Doesn't explain the first attempt though. I've got an oven thermometer on the way to see what's what.

try covering the entire to of the dish with tinfoil and then take it off for the last 10-15 minutes or so, that's what I had to do in our fan assisted piece of shit cooker.

That's ok, I'm just glad to get an answer to the problem.

I don't know how you manage to get so many layers out of the Bechamel though. Maybe the dish I'm using is oversized for the quantity - I wouldn't have had any sauce left for the top anyway :(

I didn't really have much Bechamel to spare. I would make twice as much next time.

Will this be ok if I cook the ragu and bechamel, layer it up, then put it in the fridge to cook the next day? I'm hoping to pull off an "Isaacs" over the weekend, but don't want to be doing all the cooking on Saturday morning, and neither do I fancy leaving it cooked overnight as I'm worried it'll dry out.

Will this be ok if I cook the ragu and bechamel, layer it up, then put it in the fridge to cook the next day? I'm hoping to pull off an "Isaacs" over the weekend, but don't want to be doing all the cooking on Saturday morning, and neither do I fancy leaving it cooked overnight as I'm worried it'll dry out.

I should think so, yes. I certainly did the Ragu the day before. Maybe make the Bechamel and construct it on the day, as that bit is very easy.

Ok. I'm destroying this recipe as I didn't read about how long it would need to simmer, I can only simmer for one and a half hour.

I don't have cellary at hand.

Nor bay leaves.

No wine either, but I've learned from my brother (which is a trained chef) that you need some sweetness in a ragu to combat the acid of the tomato, so I added some blueberry juice (concentrate)

Hopefully it'll turn out ok anyway.

And I'll try to make it proper some other time.. :(

it's not proper blueberry juice, just some sweet sugary stuff. in Norwegian its called saft. it doesn't taste very blueberryish.

Anyhow. all done and eaten now. The 40 minutes I had it in did the cheese too much and it became a bit too hard in places. The Ragu turned out nice, but...

We had some salad at the side with a dressing with vinegaer and you noticed much more tastes in the ragu if you ate it with the salad.

I think. it may be something I imagined. any food experts which can tell me if it sounds plausible?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little postscript to the Ragu element of this dish - I made one last night using what I believe is the traditional approach, i.e. leftover roast meat.

I roasted a leg of lamb on Sunday, so I simply chopped the leftover meat very finely and used it instead of the fresh minced meat. Everything else I did the same.

Anyway, if anything it produced an even more flavoursome ragu, so I recommend giving it a go if you end up with a surplus after your roast dinner.

There is a magic ingredient - to give the lasagne a real authentic Italian luxury taste, chop up three hard boiled eggs finely with 3 hard boiled yolks (get rid of the white on the other 3) and sprinkle these onto the ragu layer. I put some bits of mozzarella in there too. Heaven!

My girlfriend's ex's family came from near Napoli and their Lasagne was out of this world.

It sounds odd but it makes all the difference to the taste.

• 9 months later...

Made this last night in an attempt to impress the girl I've been seeing recently. Turned out gorgeous, so much nicer than any of those ready cook supermarket ones its untrue, and nicer than any pasta based dish I've had in any restaurant too! Plus I have leftovers in the fridge ready to be scoffed a bit later, which is nice. Though it seems I've only got enough for 4 portions, or maybe thats just me being a fatty. The girlfriend was suitably impressed to. When I first said I was cooking lasagna, she assumed I'd be making it with sauce from a jar, and asked which brand I'd used as she thought it was lovely. When I told her how I'd made it she was well impressed!

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to make lasagna for my girlfriend yesterday, but ran into trouble when it turned out that none of the stores in my neighborhood had any ground beef left... I did have shitloads of chicken in the freezer though, so my girlfriend suggested we'd use some of that instead. Despite me being mildly skeptical at first, it turned out amazing. With the right spices (a decent amount of paprika powder directly on the frying chicken) it was so good that I'm considering making it with chicken instead of beef again. If any of you want to try to make a somewhat unorthodox lasagna (well I've never heard of it before anyway, but for all I know this might be common knowledge), I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Hello. You may remember me as the guy who didn't put bechamel on the top and ruined his last attempt at this glorious recipe.

Well I have another conundrum. I have assembled the lasagne, but I don't have time to bake it tonight.

1. Is that it, have I gone and done it wrong?

2. How long should I bake it for tomorrow, if it's going to come out of the fridge? First I think less, as it's been part cooked as it cooled, then I think more, as it's going to be cold when cooked...

Help.

PS Yes I did put bechamel on the top this time :D

Hello. You may remember me as the guy who didn't put bechamel on the top and ruined his last attempt at this glorious recipe.

Well I have another conundrum. I have assembled the lasagne, but I don't have time to bake it tonight.

1. Is that it, have I gone and done it wrong?

2. How long should I bake it for tomorrow, if it's going to come out of the fridge? First I think less, as it's been part cooked as it cooled, then I think more, as it's going to be cold when cooked...

Help.

PS Yes I did put bechamel on the top this time :)

Its fine that you haven't baked it, should take 40 mins or so ( depending on the size to bake it from cold) just make sure its hot all the way through

• 3 months later...

*Bump*

Planning on making a vegetarian lasagne tonight with aubergines. Was just wondering, is it better if I chop up the aubergines and cook them in the tomato sauce or if I dust the aubergines in flour and then fry in egg and cover in tomato sauce whilst assembling the dish.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Prepared two of these last night, one pretty much exactly as per the original post in this thread, but using much more Bechamel. I'm hoping it will turn out even better than before, the construction was a lot better, and I think the pasta will cook more evenly with the extra bechamel.

The other one is a veggie lasagna, made with spinach, basil and ricotta, with pine nuts to be sprinkled on top for the last 5 minutes. I added some mozarella and parmesan to each layer, so it should be pretty cheesy!

Going to put them in the oven tonight, just before my guests arrive. There may be pics if I'm not too embarrassed to take them.

Prepared two of these last night, one pretty much exactly as per the original post in this thread, but using much more Bechamel. I'm hoping it will turn out even better than before, the construction was a lot better, and I think the pasta will cook more evenly with the extra bechamel.

The other one is a veggie lasagna, made with spinach, basil and ricotta, with pine nuts to be sprinkled on top for the last 5 minutes. I added some mozarella and parmesan to each layer, so it should be pretty cheesy!

Going to put them in the oven tonight, just before my guests arrive. There may be pics if I'm not too embarrassed to take them.

Such modesty.