The Ultimate Lasagna

Davros sock drawer

I'd rather have more bechamel than a billion cheese turning me into a massive heifer, also surely using all that cheese makes it expensive.

You're eating nearly a pound of butter alone if you actually make 6 times the amount of bechamel sauce that davros listed the recipe for.

The cheeses that I use usually come up to about 6 quid max.

You're eating nearly a pound of butter alone if you actually make 6 times the amount of bechamel sauce that davros listed the recipe for.

The cheeses that I use usually come up to about 6 quid max.

I use 25g of butter! A pound, jesus.

Im cooking this tonight, wish me luck because im crap at cooking.

Anyhow a question, will I struggle to buy any of these ingredients from M&S and Somerfield?

I have a health food store near me on the way home too so that should cover everything...

Im cooking this tonight, wish me luck because im crap at cooking.

Anyhow a question, will I struggle to buy any of these ingredients from M&S and Somerfield?

I have a health food store near me on the way home too so that should cover everything...

You might find it hard to get bay leaves, but everything else should be ok.

One more question. I really am a novice. I can deal with the ragu and the sauce ok I think. However regarding the lasagna...

How many layers?

Also how do you arrange the lasagne sheets, overlapping or next to each other?

Thanks.

That was new territory for me too. I did four layers in the end. Could have squeezed in 5 maybe, but ran out of Ragu and Bechamel!

I tried not to overlap too much. I just fitted as many sheets in as I could, putting them as tight together as possible, then broke some other pieces to plug the gaps. A bit like laying tiles. You can see in the pic though, it's not that precise.

The top layer was crunchy in parts by the way. I would advise extra Bechamel and cheese on top if you want to avoid that, although it didn't bother me that much.

Good luck, hope you like it!

I might try one myself at some point. There must be an infinite number of things you could replace the Ragu with.

Ooh, in fact I just thought of one! I often cook a "sauce" of grated courgettes, loads of garlic, dried chilli and olive oil. You cook it down to a mush, and then serve it with pasta, but it would be awesome in a lasagna!

Kudos to you Davros, these cooking threads are the most thorough and devised threads on the forum, great documentation too.

Good to see your energies are being directed more productively than arguing minutae in the

games folders ;)

Wow Davros, that plate of lasagne looks amazing. Yum Yum!

Pretty authentic recipe as well (I'm a wop) - my folk put mozzarella cheese in it as well. Not in every layer, mind, but at the top, with Parmesan sprinkled over the whole thing.

Jesus I'm hungry.

That was new territory for me too. I did four layers in the end. Could have squeezed in 5 maybe, but ran out of Ragu and Bechamel!

I tried not to overlap too much. I just fitted as many sheets in as I could, putting them as tight together as possible, then broke some other pieces to plug the gaps. A bit like laying tiles. You can see in the pic though, it's not that precise.

The top layer was crunchy in parts by the way. I would advise extra Bechamel and cheese on top if you want to avoid that, although it didn't bother me that much.

Good luck, hope you like it!

Cool thanks, I think thats me sorted. Will buy all ingrediants tonight and take some photos along the way to record the damage and contrast with Delia Davros ;)

Ok heres the pics.

Ingredients, all bought from Fresh and Wild in Clapham Junction. Only went in there to get the bay leaves (turns out we have a bay tree in our garden which I was unaware about) anyway everything was available in this shop, result. All produce organic, cost a bit, but for a one off all good. Couldnt find any minced lamb, so its all beef. Also used streaky bacon too.

ingredients4aq.jpg

Browing the meat as per instructions, took two batches. Scuse the dirty gas stove.

browning9pe.jpg

Get that veg all sweaty.

veg5gr.jpg

Add all the tomato bits and wine and the sauce is ready for simmering.

sauce2io.jpg

3 hours later it was about half 11 at night, the mince was reduced and I was going to leave it for the morning but thought get it done. So started the bechamal...didnt take long. Was a bit worried about this bit as I didnt add enough butter and the flour was too thick, managed to salvage it and was back on track.

sauce29fo.jpg

CONTINUED...

Building the layers, resulted in 4 layers of meat, 3 layers of pasta. Final layer of meat covered in bechamal with more parmesan and some cheddar as I ran out of parmasan. Middle layer of pasta also had some parmasan too.

construction3jq.jpg

45 minutes later all done!

finished2nd.jpg

Didnt have a slice untill Saturday evening...

slice9et.jpg

And it just kept on giving today as well...

fortwo9cw.jpg

The rest (half of the baking tray) went into the freezer. It was fookin delicous and by far the best thing ive ever cooked. Cheers Davros, to say its inspired me sounds a bit gay, but it has. Trying to decide what to attempt next ;)