Easter boot sales

Cecil Kay

It's a tricky one with the fixed start time booters. It's nice to be able to set-up your stall without it being completely swamped but the traders and 'professional booters' will be in there looking around. I've stopped going to the afternoon one down here as I can't be bothered paying the £5 to get in early. Rather just leave them to it.

The traders are getting more and more desperate, though. It's scary. Today I was the first to a new stall and the girl plonked down a BIG stack of PS2 games. I flicked through, picked out a couple and asked how much they were. She said '£1.50 each' and within seconds the traders appeared and started grabbing handfuls of the games. It was really embarrassing! I paid and got out of there! :blink:

I also saw two of them fighting over a Mega Drive. They were both trying to grab as much of it and as many games as possible so that they had more than the other and could negotiate with the seller! Poor woman didn't know who to talk to or what to do! Eventually one of them stomped off in a huff saying 'Pah, it's shit anyway'.

I'm not sure why but this year they seem more desperate than ever.

I saw a similar thing today, mad grabbing at very common PS1 games, i have very limited knowledge of PS1 stuff but know about 5 of the most desirable titles (which has paid off more than once with a memorable Symphony of the Night for £2 and being offered £20 before i'd even paid for it by a trader!!) in case i come across them but even i know that Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot are not worth more than the quid they are fighting to pay for them. I saw a cople of examples over the weekend of men carrying at least 2 PS1s, Megadrives, N64s etc. none of which appeared to have leads. Where do they offload these things as i know Gamestation only pay a small amount anyway and nothing without the leads.

Wow!!! That Megadrive looks great. Comix zone didn't have the CD unfortunatly.

Is it any rarer with the CD? I've got one with it. I've had it since new.

Due to the antics of traders/dealers i rarely look for videogame stuff nowadays at the boots. I keep an eye out for rarities, quickly scanning the spines of stacks of games and i still pick up the odd cheap machine to trade in or sell on (Usually to buy more games or machines. I'm saving up stuff now to get a X360).

I do sell on ebay quite a bit but i tend to stick to other things now. I still buy at boots for myself but i know the value of certain items so if i see them and i don't want it for myself, i'll buy it and sell it on. The traders tend to leave the things i buy alone thankfully. Its great to just wander around hovering up all the stuff they leave.

Earlier doesn't seem to do it anymore, i got at my first at about 6:20 and there were already about 10 faces i recognised. There are two bootys i know of that have a strict entry time for buyers and all the traders do is pay the extra tenner to take a car in at 6 in the morning and hassle every car that comes through the gate before they set up, where's the fun in that?

Frankly it's the same at every boot sale going - Everyone I've been to this weekend has been the same, fat ugly men who should fuck off back to their record and video stalls and other pushy fuckers that pretty much ruin it as a fun thing to do as opposed to just a fight.

You do wonder at the fight over megadrives and other non rare machines, how the fuck can you make cash selling them on - they really are not saught after and go for a decent rate maybe twice a year.. very strange.

The traders do indeed do the pay extra and then run around before putting it on their own stall, the problem really is worse at afternoon sales, especially ones that bar entry until a certain time - you have no option but to watch traders run around with a free reign pretty much.

That said was bloody entertaining to watch the local competition get pretty much fuck all this weekend as there was just bugger all out there...........

We sold at a booter on Sunday and within seconds of opening the boot a trader had gotten into my box of games and DVDs -he bought the whole lot at £2 each. Nothing special just naff PS2 games and standard DVDs.

I wandered around later and they were all on his stall - £3 each. Is it really worth it? :(

Before you put them out, did you scratch all the discs, smash all the boxes and throw the books away?

The condition of some of the stuff I see is shocking.

:( Been using the manuals as toilet paper to save money!

Got a few nice things this weekend. My favourite is below...

I saw this bag on a table as I was leaving.

th_100_2375.jpg

Normally, they are either empty or contain a smashed up Game Boy and Tetris. This time...

th_100_2377.jpg

;) Love old Game Boy stuff!

:( Been using the manuals as toilet paper to save money!

Got a few nice things this weekend. My favourite is below...

th_100_2377.jpg

;) Love old Game Boy stuff!

1. Wow, some actually good games with the systems, it's always Disney crap for me

2. How much did that set you back? I might just be a cheap skate, but I find the usual £10 asking price too much for a GB, especially when I can play the carts on my SP.

Nothing rare i don't think, i have 2 other copies somewhere, here's a closer pic....

dscn08573cc.th.jpg

Cool, I dont know how this must have slipped by me in the past ! Looks like quite nice artwork too.

For the Easter bank holiday there really werent many boots on in my area, just the usual all year round ones, so I didnt bother. Normally there are tons more by this time. I blame the fact it still feels like winter out most of the time !

Went out to the two of the Booties near us. First one was closed. On the way back noticed a sign for one I hadn't been to before. Swung past there and it was still setting up. Nothing too large, probably 80-100 stalls max. Didn't pick up much other than two controllers, both for NES. Each £1.

From there onto my regular one. Didn't have much hope here as the end of last years run I came away empty handed more often than I would care to remember. It was chocka. I mean they were parking people at the back of the bootsale itself. Second row there, I find a woman with a good nick Amstrad. Looked well looked after, telly was good as well. Missing a power pack so I have yet to try it out. -£2

Rest of the day nothing much else to almost at the end, I could not believe my eyes. Walked over, looked around, didn't want to seem too eager. A NES in perfect condition, box amazingly unmarked. All sitting on the ground next to games. I shuddered to ask, but I did. He said £5 (the scot in me couldn't leave it at that) so I haggled him down to £3. Then went on to buy 6 NES games for £5 as well. No titles bounce off at me right now, will post pics later.

On the last row managed to see a great copy of Ultima IX with cloth map and all. 50p.

All in all a great day out really.

Didn't bother on monday, as nothing could top my find of the morning