rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid Myth

April '06 Hip-hop Recommendations™

Dizzee Rascal (yes I like Dizzee...)

I'm with you on Dizzee. I haven't heard a thing about any new material, where did you read about it?

I'm with you on Dizzee. I haven't heard a thing about any new material, where did you read about it?

I was flicking through the HMV release list, and came across it: "Maths and English" is its name, and the 17th is the date.

Well after suggesting that the new Soul Position album from RJD2 and Blueprint might be good in last months thread, I arrive in this months thread with a warning. I listened through 3 of RJD2's collaboration efforts last night and there wasn't an albums worth of good material between them. The albums in question were '8 Million Stories' and 'Things Go Better With RJ and Al' by Soul Position and also 'Magnificent City' with Aceyalone. So while the good stuff was good, the bulk of it was just mediocre.

Also, I finally got round to listening to the Project Polaroid album last night , reckon I got about 2/3 of the way through before getting bored and turning it off. So that's another deleted album to free some space on my hard drive.

8 Million Stories is a great album muscially, didn't like it too much at first but it's got some of his best production work on there. Give it some more time, I can send you the instrumentals if you'd like - Blueprint lets it down a little in my opinion, he's good but not a great MC.

When I heard the new album leak a couple of months ago it seems to be the same story, but I'll give it a better listen when the CD pops through my door.

Magnificent City is very dull, probably the worst album RJD2's been involved with.

8 Million Stories is a great album muscially, didn't like it too much at first but it's got some of his best production work on there. Give it some more time, I can send you the instrumentals if you'd like - Blueprint lets it down a little in my opinion, he's good but not a great MC.

When I heard the new album leak a couple of months ago it seems to be the same story, but I'll give it a better listen when the CD pops through my door.

Magnificent City is very dull, probably the worst album RJD2's been involved with.

The 3 Candy themes seemed really familiar, has he used the loop somewhere before? You're right about the vocals though, there just seems to be no difference between him 'talking' and him 'rapping'. There are no dynamics whatsoever.

It's not very good, is it?

Perfect |----1----------------------------------------------2--------3--------------------| Rubbish

1. Original Pirate Material

2. A Grand Don't Come for Free

3. The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living

Also, I finally got round to listening to the Project Polaroid album last night , reckon I got about 2/3 of the way through before getting bored and turning it off. So that's another deleted album to free some space on my hard drive.

Mental. :D

Utterly wrongheaded. :ph34r:

Perfect |----1----------------------------------------------2--------3--------------------| Rubbish

1. Original Pirate Material

2. A Grand Don't Come for Free

3. The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living

For me, you'd have to swap 1 and 2.

I'm quite disappointed about the new one. I'm off to see him at Brixton in May. But I'm starting to think he'll be a bit crap live.

EDIT:

Actually, I think you're going along too, aren't you? If I remember from the thread...

Also, I'm not sure why but I don't really class The Streets as hip-hop.

Mental. :o

Utterly wrongheaded. ;)

Sell it to me while it can still be rescued from the Recycle Bin then. I wasn't giving it 100% attention but nothing jumped out at me. I'm not a massive fan of Dr.Octagynacologist. Stuff like Blue Flowers, 3000 & Bear Witness are great but there are some dull and overly long songs on there too.

Whats the new Prince Paul release?

I was flicking through the HMV list and Prince Paul cropped up for April. I can't get on the site now though, as my PCs chugging under the weight of a giant torrent.

Bearing in mind how much I enjoyed Donuts, and how much I like the bassy, lo-fi, jazzy production on Madvillainy ('flip it like Madlib did, the old jazz standard'), I'm really really looking forward to this:

B000E40UC0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Has anyone heard it yet? I think someone may have posted a link to some previews of it in last month's thread. I'm currently trying to source a copy, and will be picking up the CD as soon as I can find it somewhere.

In other news, I just listened to Fishscale for the first time.

It's fucking awesome.

I don't know if it's because pretty much all the beats were new to me (apart from the Dilla ones off Donuts), or maybe I just didn't have any expectations, and also I've only listened to it once so maybe I'm wrong, but pretty much every single track is brilliant. Isn't it? Superbly funky and agressive.

Sell it to me while it can still be rescued from the Recycle Bin then. I wasn't giving it 100% attention but nothing jumped out at me. I'm not a massive fan of Dr.Octagynacologist. Stuff like Blue Flowers, 3000 & Bear Witness are great but there are some dull and overly long songs on there too.

It's just one of those albums that requires you to pay a bit more attention to what's going on. i.e. Funcrusher or The Cold Vein. The production is sci fi crossed with classic hip hop samples and beats. It's music from the future. Just listen to the Overviewer. It's probably the most instantly accessible track on the album. I'm shocked that you don't like it, I can't see a better album coming out this year personally. It starts out good and just gets better. Mechanical Mechanix bangs hard. Uphill strange with its haunting violin sample. Feel Me has the old Beastie sample that from Pauls Boutique.

Listening to it now I can't really understand how you could dismiss it so easily. This is the album of the year.

In other news, I just listened to Fishscale for the first time.

It's fucking awesome.

I don't know if it's because pretty much all the beats were new to me (apart from the Dilla ones off Donuts), or maybe I just didn't have any expectations, and also I've only listened to it once so maybe I'm wrong, but pretty much every single track is brilliant. Isn't it? Superbly funky and agressive.

The beats on 9 Milli Brothers, Clipse of Doom and Jellyfish are all from Doom's Special Herbs albums. The backing track on 9 Milli Brothers (Fenugreek) sounds much better with Ante Up, though.

Has anyone heard it yet? I think someone may have posted a link to some previews of it in last month's thread. I'm currently trying to source a copy, and will be picking up the CD as soon as I can find it somewhere.

It really is very good, I'm sure it'll be to your liking especially as you're a fan of Donuts. It's all instrumentals and like Donuts, very hiphop whilst being something completely different - it's certainly not your typical beat tape. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

A couple of tracks - Spanish Bells is very Dilla-esque to my ears:

Spanish Bells - Madlib

Eternal Broadcaster - Madlib

Stax - Madlib

The beats on 9 Milli Brothers, Clipse of Doom and Jellyfish are all from Doom's Special Herbs albums. The backing track on 9 Milli Brothers (Fenugreek) sounds much better with Ante Up, though.

They're all brand new beats to me. As far as Doom goes, I've only heard Madvillainy and the King Geedorah album so far. His 'Food' (?) album is next on my list. I'm really liking his stuff.

It really is very good, I'm sure it'll be to your liking especially as you're a fan of Donuts. It's all instrumentals and like Donuts, very hiphop whilst being something completely different - it's certainly not your typical beat tape. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

A couple of tracks - Spanish Bells is very Dilla-esque to my ears:

Spanish Bells - Madlib

Eternal Broadcaster - Madlib

Stax - Madlib

Thanks for upping these. Although it turns out that between posting about it and now, I've managed to find a lively torrent and I'm about 3 minutes away from listening to the album. Which is great because it's out of stock at Play and I couldn't find it in any of the big music stores in central London.

I loved Donuts. I don't know why, but it seemed that instrumental hip-hop worked really well on that (normally I don't really like instrumental albums - but I think that's just me listening to the wrong ones), so I can't wait.

His 'Food' (?) album is next on my list. I'm really liking his stuff.

"Food" eh?

Beef rap is a stunner and if you watched 80's Spiderman cartoons it'll blow your head off and send a shiver through ya.

Me n' Das don't agree on too much but we certainly agreed on that track.

It's just one of those albums that requires you to pay a bit more attention to what's going on. i.e. Funcrusher or The Cold Vein. The production is sci fi crossed with classic hip hop samples and beats. It's music from the future. Just listen to the Overviewer. It's probably the most instantly accessible track on the album. I'm shocked that you don't like it, I can't see a better album coming out this year personally. It starts out good and just gets better. Mechanical Mechanix bangs hard. Uphill strange with its haunting violin sample. Feel Me has the old Beastie sample that from Pauls Boutique.

Listening to it now I can't really understand how you could dismiss it so easily. This is the album of the year.

I've only just gotten round to listening to this, and having only listened to the CD once I'm amazingly impressed.

I've not even had a chance to check Fishscales yet.

And I tried to book the night off work for the Edan gig and it was all booked up :unsure:

Me n' Das don't agree on too much but we certainly agreed on that track.

Blatently, being a spidey fan and all made it an obvious banger for me.

For me, you'd have to swap 1 and 2.

I'm quite disappointed about the new one. I'm off to see him at Brixton in May. But I'm starting to think he'll be a bit crap live.

EDIT:

Actually, I think you're going along too, aren't you? If I remember from the thread...

Also, I'm not sure why but I don't really class The Streets as hip-hop.

Nah OPM all the way for me. And yeah, I'll be at Brixton too, any idea on the support?

Bearing in mind how much I enjoyed Donuts, and how much I like the bassy, lo-fi, jazzy production on Madvillainy ('flip it like Madlib did, the old jazz standard'), I'm really really looking forward to this:

B000E40UC0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Second hand 'buy, sell, music' (think thats what its called) store in Camden. 9quid brand new. Nearly bought it but resisted as I was on a UK hiphop 'tip that day.

If you haven't heard DOOMs stuff then this is a fucking excellent thing though! I can't wait to here those tracks and be a little disappointed cause I know the beats. <_<

Because they're garage, maybe? At least, they were, back in ye good old days!

It certainly ain't hiphop. Its more pop/garage than anything. To be fair I actually liked his first album, 'Original Pirate Material' apart from the title track, his next album seem to be him taking the piss more and seeing what he can get away with, with his shit singing and bad flow. This latest 'thing' I haven't heard yet but the track thats playing on the radio now really shows he's taking the piss and just putting out any old crap to see what muppet will buy it next.

The first was fresh and something different.

Anyway, enough about non hiphop stuff, just listening to that Madlib Konducta track; Eternal Broadcast. Really very nice indeed and got me banging my head at 8.40 in the morning! :) I'm not a big instrumental fan though so not sure if I would really like this as an album or Donuts. I wanna try just to prove myself wrong but as yet, I've resisted temptation.

Am I missing something big here?! <_<