Tomb Raider Legend

Does anyone else find Lara's commentry incredibly annoying? They've turned her into an unfunny cold-hearted smartass. :) I hope it'll be possible to mute her. I much preferred it when all she did was yelp or scream when you nearly killed her or made her fall to her death.

Not sure if I'll bother checking it out when the full version is available... I think I just want to play it so I can say it's shit, cos it don't look all that promising to me. Although there's only a demo to judge it on. I want it to be great though, have really fond memories of the original.

Does anyone else find Lara's commentry incredibly annoying? They've turned her into an unfunny cold-hearted smartass. :) I hope it'll be possible to mute her. I much preferred it when all she did was yelp or scream when you nearly killed her or made her fall to her death.

Not sure if I'll bother checking it out when the full version is available... I think I just want to play it so I can say it's shit, cos it don't look all that promising to me. Although there's only a demo to judge it on. I want it to be great though, have really fond memories of the original.

.::: Actually I didn't mind, and it added something extra imo. But that may also be because for once the voices were actually done properly, instead of hiring the services of the Capcom Voice Studios. Whatever happens, kudos to Crystal Dynamics for that little feat.

.::: Actually I didn't mind, and it added something extra imo. But that may also be because for once the voices were actually done properly, instead of hiring the services of the Capcom Voice Studios. Whatever happens, kudos to Crystal Dynamics for that little feat.

There never was a whole lot of dialogue in the TR games, so it wasn't an issue for me before.

I can't relate the old Lara to the new one though. They're modelling the games on the films now.

.::: All buttons. PSP version is noted for not having camera-controls at all, only a 'snap behind character' button which can be awkward at times.

So on the PS2, the other shoulder buttons handle the camera, or does the right stick do that? Is it not like the TR games of old where the camera sticks to your back at all times?

So on the PS2, the other shoulder buttons handle the camera, or does the right stick do that? Is it not like the TR games of old where the camera sticks to your back at all times?

.::: Nope it doesn't stick unfortuantely, the camera is free and on the right stick, and comparable to say Super Mario Sunshine (in that the camera tries to find the optimal position for you but you need to adjust it manually for some crucial stuff).

The free camera is also what makes the block-pushing awkward as the camera turns and the definition of forward is altered accordingly, yet left and right only make you turn opposite to the direction you pushed (behind-the-cam controls so to speak). Ironically the camera tries to stay behind you during this but depending on walls nearby it will adjust nevertheless. The last puzzle in the demo has a few frustrating moments because of this. It's nothing truly bad, but it's so... inept... and counter-intuitve that I can't believe it wasn't noticed during testing.

Why would that be a 'more proper' version? And what would change in terms of control?

Well, I'm assuming that the controls in the PC version wouldn't include D-Pads or triangle buttons. Maybe the "block shifting puzzles" would utilise an alternative control method to the one used for PS2 ?

The shoulder buttons handle lock on, shooting and inventory management. The right stick is the camera - free as a bird. The D-pad is assigned to quick functions, like left for binocs, up for medi pack and the like. It works well and feels pretty solid. You don't have to hold any buttons to grab or stay grabbed on to something. It is pretty much Lara of Persia as Cy said earlier. But that is by no means a bad thing. Oh, and the grapple is nicely implemented. Objects that can be grappled have a bit of a shine on them. When you jump you quickly press the X or Square button and she whips out the grapple and hooks on, allowing you to swing to safety. Like I said, it all works pretty smoothly.

The shoulder buttons handle lock on, shooting and inventory management. The right stick is the camera - free as a bird. The D-pad is assigned to quick functions, like left for binocs, up for medi pack and the like. It works well and feels pretty solid. You don't have to hold any buttons to grab or stay grabbed on to something. It is pretty much Lara of Persia as Cy said earlier. But that is by no means a bad thing. Oh, and the grapple is nicely implemented. Objects that can be grappled have a bit of a shine on them. When you jump you quickly press the X or Square button and she whips out the grapple and hooks on, allowing you to swing to safety. Like I said, it all works pretty smoothly.

Sounds good.

Having second thoughts about the PSP version now, though...

And don't forget the physics and chosen destructible environments in shootouts. They work well too. As does being able to kick small rocks lying around, a lovely touch just before the first trap in the tomb involves booting a rock into it and then you see how the trap works. It's all very smoothly done and really well implemented.

Just tried that jump into slo-mo move. Works well. Just lock on to someone then jump at them and press X when you're about to hit them. Lara flies off them, everything slows down and you can shoot them with a bit of style. You can also jump towards them and press triangle and she'll kick out in mid-air sending them flying.

Also, with the swingy pole type things, pressing X immediately launches you towards the next one so you don't have to do a full rotation on them to propel yourself forward. Having played it a couple of times now, I have to say that the controls really are very smooth.

And one last thing about them, in the config it says R2 throws grenades or flares which you equip with the d-pad I think. None in the demo but I imagine it'll add another layer to the combat. I'm loving jumping about, kicking off people, sending rocks crashing on to their heads and the thought of some grenades at easy disposal just sweetens the deal.

Also, with the swingy pole type things, pressing X immediately launches you towards the next one so you don't have to do a full rotation on them to propel yourself forward.

That's the stuff. Cool. Once you become a POP Jedi master, it's the only way to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well is it a return to form for Lara, it looks pretty hopefull from the footage etc.

Its 'out' on ps2 and I am actually pretty excited enough to bother the try before you buy line (that so many people take advantage of)

Should have an opinion in the morning(to late to bother now)

Anyone sampled it yet?

Its got to be better than the last few efforts right?

Playing the demo on PS2 before getting sucked into Oblvion I was struck by how easy the leaping around was this time - basically you just need to aim in the right general direction and you will get there. Not necesssarily a bad thing of course but it makes for a fairly short game (less than 10 hours apparently). And the "combat" sucks. And the PS2 visuals dont look anything special at all - just more grey green murk.

Not that I'm biased or anything but for now there are tombs which need raiding in Cryodiil.

Played the PS2 demo and thought it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking but looks like it could be fun. Lara looks good and has quite a bit of attitude and there's some nice attention to detail in her moves etc. Graphically also looks pretty nice for a PS2 game... smooth frame rate, nice lighting and locations.

Should be worth a play!

I played the demo pod in my local gamestation, and I have to say I was impressed. Seems they've learned the lessons from AoD and stuck with proper TR gameplay. And graphically, it was damn impressive, especially as it was on PS2.

It only took 5 years, but I may finally have to buy a PS2!