Alien: The Directors Cut

Yeah they made an extra large face-hugger with queen-like features, it is in the special edition of the film but only in the very distance so you can't really tell it's any different. It's the scene where they bring in the dead Ox that the alien later hatches from, IRRC. One of the prisoners picks it up and examines it.

Somebody has already mentioned them but I can heartily recommend both the Alien comics (Darkhorse) and the various Alien novels (not the 1-3 novelisations) they are all pretty good.

I really like Aliens: Stronghold featuring the incredible 'Dean' (one of my favourite robots)

1-4.jpg

And, of course, cybernetic Alien Jeri

alshtpb.jpg

Hey there.

I would love to see an Alien film set on earth. Not in some desolate wasteland or the fuckin north pole or in the jungle.. But in a normal city. I wanna see an alien running down the street in broad daylight.. Jumping on cars, running across the side of buildings, jumping of bridges.

People screaming, running for their lives...

I'm not even that arsed about the story... I just wanna see that sequence.

Despin out.

Yeah they made an extra large face-hugger with queen-like features, it is in the special edition of the film but only in the very distance so you can't really tell it's any different. It's the scene where they bring in the dead Ox that the alien later hatches from, IRRC. One of the prisoners picks it up and examines it.

Does the alien hatch from a different animal in the special edition? Someone mentioned a dog earlier, but I only remember that ox scene. It's been a while since I've seen it...

I prefer the re-cut Alien 3, although it's a tab flabby towards the end.

The aformentioned scene where the two inmates find the super facehugger is brilliant. They're just talking about having hard-on for Ripley or something, then one of them says, "what's this?" and you see him silhouetted in the background holding up a ginormous face hugger, then it cuts to the next scene. Brilliant.

I also love the external shots of the planet, where Charles Dance goes out to the EEV.

Does it have the whole sequence where they trap the Alien, but Golic lets it out? I know that happens in the novelisation.

Indeed it does.

Golic keeps speaking of the 'Dragon' and, when released, goes to the holding chamber. He slits the guard's throat and opens the container doors, allowing it out.

The whole episode makes a lot more sense. When Ripley and the prisoners are calmly discussing what the 'rescue' crew from Weyland-Yutani will do to them and the Alien, their calm composure is more explicable if the Alien is, at that point, 'safely' under lock and key.

Indeed it does.

Golic keeps speaking of the 'Dragon' and, when released, goes to the holding chamber. He slits the guard's throat and opens the container doors, allowing it out.

The whole episode makes a lot more sense. When Ripley and the prisoners are calmly discussing what the 'rescue' crew from Weyland-Yutani will do to them and the Alien, their calm composure is more explicable if the Alien is, at that point, 'safely' under lock and key.

Exactly. It isn't a case of the special edition adding a bit of pointless extension and flab - it completes the film.

flashjones, I watched both Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection for the first time recently and...well, while neither were particularly good I personally preffered the latter. But Alien 3 is still worth watching to see how it (badly IMO) rounds off the saga, or at least did until 4 was released.

I have actually seen them all but that was a fair old time ago when I was about 12, strangely now that I'm older I'm more scared by them. I think I'll just order it, it's only £8 and will give me a sense of completion.

The idea of an Alien 5 excites me but I cannot help but feel it will come short.

Thinking about it, the best thing about Aliens, and all the graphic novels and such that popped up afterwards, is that they took this amazingly terrifying creature - sort of the embodiment of our primal fears, nigh on unstoppable - and ran with the increasingly scary idea that it might not be hiding out in deep space any more. Much more interesting than doing yet more haunted house stuff, as in the last two movies.

Again, on the commentary track on the DVD Ridley Scott suggests (as his own opinion) that the derelict ship was a millitary transport and the eggs could have been bio weapons of a sort. I've always thought that the ship was a science vessel, or a transport taking the eggs for scientific purposes.

The derelict ship was clearly not of human origin. Just look at the thing in the pilot's chair that they find, it's apparent that the ship belonged to a prior alien race.

Weren't there (no doubt totally fabricated) stories circulating around the time AvP was coming out that Cameron or Scott were considering returning to the series to make an alternate Alien 3?

This may have been confused with the Robocop chronology. I heard a while ago that Paul Verhoven had asked to create a new Robocop movie. However, his terms were that it would completely overwrite all but the first movie, and it had to be named "Robocop 2". This was several years ago.

Also, not mentioned in this thread is the Aliens: Special Edition cut. Anyone see that?

Also, lastly, the other thing about Resurrection (I've been told) is it actually is the first few chapters of the book "Aliens: Earth Hive", blown up into a full movie. They didn't have the budget to produce a proper film of Earth Hive. In addition, someone in the thread mentioned the Aliens being made into biological weapons, that happens in another one of the books, it might be called Alien: Genocide.

This may have been confused with the Robocop chronology. I heard a while ago that Paul Verhoven had asked to create a new Robocop movie. However, his terms were that it would completely overwrite all but the first movie, and it had to be named "Robocop 2". This was several years ago.

Actually i believe this was true of alien(s) also but then the shite that was AVP came out and Cameron/Ridley went "fuck that am off"

Also, not mentioned in this thread is the Aliens: Special Edition cut. Anyone see that?

if you mean the directors cut? then yeah i have it. Was the first version me and my dad watched of aliens. Got it out the video shop one night. Thing was we didnt know there was two versions and for ages afterward i would watch it on itv and go hold on wheres all the stuff at the start with the ship etc. :(

if you mean the directors cut? then yeah i have it. Was the first version me and my dad watched of aliens. Got it out the video shop one night. Thing was we didnt know there was two versions and for ages afterward i would watch it on itv and go hold on wheres all the stuff at the start with the ship etc. :(

No, I specifically don't mean the Director's Cut. It was a special cut of the film called "Aliens: Special Edition". I had it on VHS, don't know if it's on DVD.

The Special Edition is the 'director's cut', you nonce.

Are they rebranded then? Ie. Can you buy a DVD called Aliens Director's Cut? Because the VHS I had was called Aliens: Special Edition. Although I knew it was different from the theatrical cut, I thought they were two different cuts.

EDIT: Just had a look and it appears you are correct Paulando. I got this impression when earlier on as I skimmed through the thread, I didn't catch it being referred to specifically as the "special edition", so I thought it was a different cut.

:)

Yeah, the Special Edition is a 'Director's Cut' with all of the scenes cut from the shortened theatrical release added back into the film. The Special Edition is the one released on DVD, though in the new set you can choose to watch the original cut. There was never anything released called 'Aliens: Director's Cut'.

I prefer the threatrical cut actually, but I've mentioned that before and I'm not going to get into that discussion again :P