rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mindgames

Alien: The Directors Cut

The Earth Hive (I think that's the name) books are simply amazing. They even bring back the Space Jockey aliens from the first film... who then suddenly vanish for no reason in the second book, if I remember correctly.

Earth Hive, that's it.

I love the space jockey and the whole mystery around the crashed ship. It would be one thing I'd never want explained out-right, you'd just speculate about what it was all about.

Ripley is incubating a Queen though, which could feasibly take longer to gestate. Also there's the thing about Aliens developing differently according to the host they're in; maybe the dog-form grows quicker?

Agree mostly, but as I recall she is frantic to get the bodies checked, so it probably would have been quicker to get Clemens to cut them open than to investigate whether the scanner in the escape pod was still working. Not even sure the wreckage had been fully recovered by that point, had it? By the time she'd got it working, the Aliens would have likely burst out (if they had been impregnated). Of course, she can't exactly cut herself open, so she uses the scanner to check her own body out.

Yeah actually I can go with the fact the dog would have a faster metabolism and so gestate quicker, but I wouldnt want to give the script writers that much credit :(

I seem to recall Ripley didnt want the autopsy done ? but I havent seen it in along time and refuse to ever watch it again

I quite like Alien3 though. It's not a patch on the first two, but it's not terrible either. While I was pissed off with the killing off of Newt and Hicks, it was a pretty brave thing for the writers to do. There aren't many happy endings when dealing with this particular xenomorph, after all...

Have to disagree with this, Killing Newt and Hicks off wasnt brave they did it because the characters didnt fit into the writers weak story line.

It would have been brave to do an Aliens story line without Ripley, her story was done at the end of Aliens. Alien 3 should have been about Newt or Hicks.

Earth Hive, that's it.

I love the space jockey and the whole mystery around the crashed ship. It would be one thing I'd never want explained out-right, you'd just speculate about what it was all about.

Yeah, I reckon the Space Jockeys ship is still on LV421 with its stash of eggs. In Aliens Special editioin its pretty clear Newts family travel for days to get to it, plus if it was anywhere near the colony it would have been spotted during the constuction of the amos processor. So even if a area the size of nebraska was vapourised (I think that what they say) then theres a good chance it would have survived.

So all this fannying about in Alien4 to get an alien clone seems pointless to me.

The Earth Hive (I think that's the name) books are simply amazing. They even bring back the Space Jockey aliens from the first film... who then suddenly vanish for no reason in the second book, if I remember correctly.

Wasn't that actually the amazing Aliens: Book One (scripted by current BSG writer Mark Verheiden and illustrated by Mark Nelson) only for Dark Horse/Titan to rescript and colourise them as part of an attempt to fit the graphic novels into the revised universe created by Alien 3?

Looks like I'm right... Aliens: Book One and the *spit* remastered version Aliens: Volume One - Outbreak.

I seem to recall Ripley didnt want the autopsy done ? but I havent seen it in along time and refuse to ever watch it again

The first lines of dialogue went something like...

DOCTOR: Ah, glad to see you're awake. How do-

RIPLEY: I want autopsies.

DOCTOR: Well, okay, but first we've-

RIPLEY: Autopsies. Like, now.

DOCTOR: You still have that bad case of red-eye, we should-

RIPLEY: AUTOPSIES YOU BALDY CUNT!

Weren't there (no doubt totally fabricated) stories circulating around the time AvP was coming out that Cameron or Scott were considering returning to the series to make an alternate Alien 3?

Weren't there (no doubt totally fabricated) stories circulating around the time AvP was coming out that Cameron or Scott were considering returning to the series to make an alternate Alien 3?

I dunno about remaking 3, there was rumours of talks that they wanted the saga to finally reach Earth. Of course, according to AVP, the aliens have been to earth ages ago!!

Wouldnt it be cool though, if everyone could sign something to agree that anything post-aliens never happened? Or Ripley wakes up in her pod on the Sulaco in Alien 5...it was all a dream :(

I seem to remember reading that Ridley Scott was interested in possibly returing to the Alien series, but I don't know whether it was genuine desire or only a pipe dream. I don't know whether it would be an alternate Alien 3 (it was all a dream!) or something genuinely advancing the series. Aliens on Earth?

Edit: here's the interview I was thinking of:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17236

There was definitely talk of Cameron and Scott "saving" the series by writin and directing another Alien act, set after 3 but before Resurrection. Unfurtunately, given the box-office takings AvP managed, it's doubtful Fox will let anyone blow £120mil on a godo movie when they can make a £30mil crap one and make about the same money.

There was definitely talk of Cameron and Scott "saving" the series by writin and directing another Alien act, set after 3 but before Resurrection. Unfurtunately, given the box-office takings AvP managed, it's doubtful Fox will let anyone blow £120mil on a godo movie when they can make a £30mil crap one and make about the same money.

Am I being naieve in thinking that Scott AND Cameron would have enough clout in Hollywood to get the cash to make this? Lets hope they do, this franchise is worth saving.

About plot holes: there are plot holes galore, but adding the Dallas 'egg' scene isn't one of them, by the way.

It's perfectly feasible that a lone Alien, with no queen, would attempt to create an egg from a host to start the reproductive process and 'force' germination. Without a queen, its existence is futile and short.

As for 'why did Ripley ask for an autopsy [in Alien3] when she merely scanned herself?', that's because she didn't have access to her ship at that time, and time really, really WAS of the essence. When she tried getting Bishop (before the prisoners were on-side), she was nearly gang-raped. It's only when she because de facto leader that she was allowed to have free access to her EEV.

Aien Resurrection wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for A) the incredibly poor cast (bar Ripley and Call) who don't give the witty (Joss Whedon!!!) script its due, B ) the unnecessary '200 years in the future' setting (it could have been 5 years, or even 1, past Alien3. The future-future-future setting made no difference whatsoever, just makes it difficult to place a decent sequel in its chronology), and C) the dumb ass Alien hybrid that was neither frightening or poignant. I see what they were trying to do, but it failed spectacularly.

It's perfectly feasible that a lone Alien, with no queen, would attempt to create an egg from a host to start the reproductive process and 'force' germination. Without a queen, its existence is futile and short.

Again, all the stuff to do with reproduction in the first movie: you have to acknowledge that they were working from a different rule set from the one James Cameron came up with and at that time there was no 'queen' that they relied on for reproduction.

Yeah, but it makes sense, though, as they are pretty much modelled on ants and their hive structure. As geeky, ego-led 'improvements' go, it's a pretty good one.

Cool, I thought my little thread had died, but its alive, ALIVE!!!

Here's another then.....if I remember rightly....Ripley knows she is host to a queen after her scan in Alien3....now she probably knows more about aliens than anyone else...but thats a fucking good trick to tell its a queen! Or am I talking bollocks and she doesnt know its a queen?

Aien Resurrection wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for A) the incredibly poor cast (bar Ripley and Call) who don't give the witty (Joss Whedon!!!) script its due, B ) the unnecessary '200 years in the future' setting (it could have been 5 years, or even 1, past Alien3. The future-future-future setting made no difference whatsoever, just makes it difficult to place a decent sequel in its chronology), and C) the dumb ass Alien hybrid that was neither frightening or poignant. I see what they were trying to do, but it failed spectacularly.

Dominique Pinon and Ron Perlman incredibly poor? Both superb actors, and I didn't think their performances in it were any worse than those of Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder (who for some reason I think looks incredibly attractive in this film, but normally doesn't do anything for me). Then again, I thought the script was gash for the most part.. I fucking hate Joss Whedon (even when diluted).

Dominique Pinon and Ron Perlman incredibly poor? Both superb actors, and I didn't think their performances in it were any worse than those of Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder (who for some reason I think looks incredibly attractive in this film, but normally doesn't do anything for me). Then again, I thought the script was gash for the most part.. I fucking hate Joss Whedon.

The script was massively altered from Whedon's original script. So it's not his fault :)

I read an earlier draft of Joss Whedon's script, and I thought it was fucking rubbish. Not quite as bad as the finished product, but it still wasn't very good- it was just a rolling series of action sequences, which didn't move or develop the characters in any interesting fashion.

Dominique Pinon and Ron Perlman incredibly poor?

Pinon was adequate, with barely any lines. Ron Perlman was on cruise control, plus who says he's a good actor? I've never seen a performance of his that wasn't simply an imitation of the same bigoted tough guy roll (although I admit I haven't seen any of his foreign language performances, and I'll make an exception for Last Supper).

Pinon was adequate, with barely any lines. Ron Perlman was on cruise control, plus who says he's a good actor? I've never seen a performance of his that wasn't simply an imitation of the same bigoted tough guy roll (although I admit I haven't seen any of his foreign language performances, and I'll make an exception for Last Supper).

That's pretty much all the roles he gets given though, to be fair to him.. And he does do it well. I remember him being very good in the Beauty and the Beast TV show, as well as Cronos and City of Lost Children but the latter two were also tough guy roles.

Anyway you said the cast was poor (which the rest of it was), not their performances in this particular film so that's what I was responding to. Sorry if that's not what you meant, I'd happily concede that none of them were on top form here.

Alien Resurection is weird because Joss Whedon is a suberb writer and Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a superb director and yet... It was absolutely abysmal. I think everyone involved was very badly comissioned on this.

Joss Whedon's sarcastic, winking at the camera style of writing had no place in an Alien movie. He can be a good writer, but only for his niche. He should stick to his 'Browncoats' and his own franchises rather than trying to write for others.

Joss Whedon's sarcastic, winking at the camera style of writing had no place in an Alien movie. He can be a good writer, but only for his niche. He should stick to his 'Browncoats' and his own franchises rather than trying to write for others.

I agree. With the exception of Toy Story, his scripts seem to be a lot more compentent and enjoyable when he's working on his own stuff. The thing I find odd with AR is that everyone seems very quick to heap a lot of the blame of its crapness onto Whedon. Admittedly, the script was shite, but most of the time it's the director that gets the flack for the final product as, ultimately, he has the final call on most stuff. Nobody ever lamps Jeunet who is just as much to blame. He's an absolutely incredible director but he is just as unsuited to an Alien film as Whedon is.

Wasn't that actually the amazing Aliens: Book One (scripted by current BSG writer Mark Verheiden and illustrated by Mark Nelson) only for Dark Horse/Titan to rescript and colourise them as part of an attempt to fit the graphic novels into the revised universe created by Alien 3?

Looks like I'm right... Aliens: Book One and the *spit* remastered version Aliens: Volume One - Outbreak.

I went to a comic store to get Aliens: Book One but the man said it was discontinued to make way for the far inferior outbreak version, and he didn't know where to get it.

Can anyone help. I want to read it.

And if that's impossible and I had an urge to read an ALiens comic book that IS easily available, which one should I root for.

And isnt having a chest burst rip out of you supposed to be agonisingly painful ? but Ripley some how manages to hold onto the Alien and Swan dive gracefully to her death.

That doesn't happen in the director's cut. She just falls to her death in a slightly dodgier looking slow motion shot. A lot of the effects seem ropier in the DC version, actually. The contrast on the alien model is all wrong for a start. Looks terrible. Maybe it was just the DVD transfer, though.

So, what would be the ultimate version of each film? I'd do a marathon of them, but it'd probably be:

Alien (original)

Aliens (director's cut)

Alien 3 (original)

Alien Resurrection (director's cut)

Sound about right? :o

So, what would be the ultimate version of each film? I'd do a marathon of them, but it'd probably be:

Alien (original)

Aliens (director's cut)

Alien 3 (original)

Alien Resurrection (director's cut)

Sound about right? :unsure:

I personally would go with the directors cut of 3, I can live with the dodgy effects. But spot on otherwise IMO.