rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mindgames

Alien: The Directors Cut

One of the most interesting things about Alien and Aliens (the only two movies that count) is how far apart they are. It would seem pretty clear that Alien was meant to be a one off. Aliens came a good seven years after the original, which is fairly uncommon as far as traditional sequels go.

I wonder if Cameron knew about the original ideas for how the Alien was meant to reproduce? After all, The Director's Cut has only been knocking around since sometime in the '90's. I tend to prefer the more 'out there' approach of the original Alien. I suspect that's probably down to the ideas of H.R. Geiger though and his recurrent themes of monstrous sexuality and bio-mechanical hybrids.

I used to prefer Aliens, having watched the first movie when I was too young to understand the underlying themes of the first movie, but now I much prefer the original, for a whole host (no pun intended) of reasons.

I used to prefer Aliens, having watched the first movie when I was too young to understand the underlying themes of the first movie, but now I much prefer the original, for a whole host (no pun intended) of reasons.

Ditto.

That's remined me of a dilemma: in which situation would you rather be?

a] On the Nostromo, with only one alien but with no weapons or marines

b] On LV426, with loads of aliens, but with loads of weapons and plenty of marines too

I could never decide.

About the egg at the beginning of Alien 3 - it's not well explained at all. I assumed that the Queen had one remaining egg left in her body (one that had yet to be pushed out into the the egg tunnel thing). If you watch to the very endsof the credits on Aliens, you can hear the unmistakeable sound of an egg opening, but I can't remember whether it's on the Special Edition or normal edition.

Exactly how it impregnated Ripley I don't know, because at the start of the film, it looks like it dies trying to enter the sleep pod, setting off the emeregency evacuation.

Ditto.

That's remined me of a dilemma: in which situation would you rather be?

a] On the Nostromo, with only one alien but with no weapons or marines

b] On LV426, with loads of aliens, but with loads of weapons and plenty of marines too

I could never decide.

To be honest, I'd take either over having velociraptors in my kitchen.

Nah: remember, the facehuggers can eat through glass without dying (the helmet in the first film). So it was perfectly alive. It then latched on, but for some reason there was a sputter of acid which caused a fire.

The sheer rumour of a facehugger actually existing would cause me to commit suicide. I can handle the thought of full grown Aliens running amok, but those little scurry things jumping towards me? No shit in hell.

Nah: remember, the facehuggers can eat through glass without dying (the helmet in the first film). So it was perfectly alive. It then latched on, but for some reason there was a sputter of acid which caused a fire.

Ah. It's been years since I've seen it.

Stay away from horseshoe crabs then:

hcrab2.jpg

Wasn't it the incinuation that the Sulaco computer and/or the company deliberately jettison the tubes from the ship and that there was no fire? I need to watch Alien 3 again.

Googley moogley.

The mouth opening is between the legs, the gills are visible below

But:

Every year, around 10% of the horseshoe crab's breeding population dies when rough surf flips the creatures onto their backs, a position from which they often cannot right themselves. In response, the ERDG (Ecological Resource and Development Group) launched a "Just Flip 'Em" campaign, in the hopes that beachgoers will simply turn the crabs back over.

Ha-ha! The upper hand's on the other foot.

One of the things I liked about Alien3 was the track through the prison at the end with the sound of Ripleys transmission after blowing up the Nostromo playing. But how would the Sulaco escape pod be playing that?

One of the things I liked about Alien3 was the track through the prison at the end with the sound of Ripleys transmission after blowing up the Nostromo playing. But how would the Sulaco escape pod be playing that?

And how did the egg get into the Sulaco escape pod? etc etc

And how did the egg get into the Sulaco escape pod? etc etc

I think the egg was laid on the dropship that Bishop piloted back to the Sulaco. The alien could have hatched from that and attacked Ripley's hypersleep pod. The alien would be on her as the pod ejects from the Sulaco. The facehugger then detaches and dies. I reckon.

I think the egg was laid on the dropship that Bishop piloted back to the Sulaco. The alien could have hatched from that and attacked Ripley's hypersleep pod. The alien would be on her as the pod ejects from the Sulaco. The facehugger then detaches and dies. I reckon.

That's how I always saw it well that's how I tried to explain it. Or the face hugger was attached to the queen, hitching a ride somewhere.

The filmmakers probably thought it was a good way to end the series. It's seems quite obvious to me that Alien 3 was supposed to be the end of the franchise.

Shame Fox decided to try and milk more money out of it with the risible Resurrection.

Hang on though....if there was a face hugger to impregnate Ripley....where does the other facehugger come from, the one that impregnates the cow / dog on the planet?

No-one answer the above question, I think everyone is in agreement that Alien3 is pretty fucked up!

Right, I am going to rename this thread, ALIEN QUADRILOGY PLOT HOLES THREAD.

I suppose if one facehugger could get onto the Sulaco with the queen, two or three could have done.

One successfully breaks into Ripley's cryotube, starting the fire in the process. Another one is trying to get into one of the others when they are evacuated to the escape pod. Doesn't manage to break into a cryotube before the pod crashes. Latches onto the dog.

The thing that bothers me is why Ripley didn't check around for facehuggers etc. after she knacked the queen. I guess she had to get Bishop and Hicks stowed away pretty sharpish due to their injuries, and Newt for safety, but she could surely have ensured there were no more Aliens on board before getting in herself? Maybe she was really tired by that point and couldn't be arsed.

I mean, the knackered Bishop was able to tell there had been aliens on board from reading the Sulaco's flight recorder. Surely the ship's computer could have detected them?

But then, I suppose every sequel has to come up with some premise to start it off, whereas the 2nd and 3rd Alien films never tried to set up a scenario for a possible sequel.

From the Alien 3 novelistation: transmissions in space can travel for months, years, decades, being picked up long after those who sent it are long gone. The signal the pod is playing is the FTL transmission from decades ago finally hitting Fiorina 161.

From the Alien 3 novelistation: transmissions in space can travel for months, years, decades, being picked up long after those who sent it are long gone. The signal the pod is playing is the FTL transmission from decades ago finally hitting Fiorina 161.

So transmissions in space move slower than it's possible to physically move in space? Sounds useful ;)

According to the novelisation, a shard of glass cuts the tail of the facehugger on Ripley and the acid released causes the electrical fire.

I suppose if one facehugger could get onto the Sulaco with the queen, two or three could have done.

One successfully breaks into Ripley's cryotube, starting the fire in the process. Another one is trying to get into one of the others when they are evacuated to the escape pod. Doesn't manage to break into a cryotube before the pod crashes. Latches onto the dog.

The thing that bothers me is why Ripley didn't check around for facehuggers etc. after she knacked the queen. I guess she had to get Bishop and Hicks stowed away pretty sharpish due to their injuries, and Newt for safety, but she could surely have ensured there were no more Aliens on board before getting in herself? Maybe she was really tired by that point and couldn't be arsed.

I mean, the knackered Bishop was able to tell there had been aliens on board from reading the Sulaco's flight recorder. Surely the ship's computer could have detected them?

But then, I suppose every sequel has to come up with some premise to start it off, whereas the 2nd and 3rd Alien films never tried to set up a scenario for a possible sequel.

Yep, It doesnt make sense because Alien3 is a rancid pile of crap !

What happened was the alien queen nipped back to her burned out nest, picked up a couple of eggs and carried them under her extra arms to the dropship, without anyone noticing.

Also Ripley is impregnated before the dog, but doesnt burst for bloody ages, unlike the dog which pops five minutes later.

Plus why do the have the gratuitous Newt Autopsy scene when Ripley just hops into a scanner to take a quick look to see if she s impregated ?

And isnt having a chest burst rip out of you supposed to be agonisingly painful ? but Ripley some how manages to hold onto the Alien and Swan dive gracefully to her death.

worst film ever.

Also Ripley is impregnated before the dog, but doesnt burst for bloody ages, unlike the dog which pops five minutes later.

Ripley is incubating a Queen though, which could feasibly take longer to gestate. Also there's the thing about Aliens developing differently according to the host they're in; maybe the dog-form grows quicker?

Plus why do the have the gratuitous Newt Autopsy scene when Ripley just hops into a scanner to take a quick look to see if she s impregated ?

Agree mostly, but as I recall she is frantic to get the bodies checked, so it probably would have been quicker to get Clemens to cut them open than to investigate whether the scanner in the escape pod was still working. Not even sure the wreckage had been fully recovered by that point, had it? By the time she'd got it working, the Aliens would have likely burst out (if they had been impregnated). Of course, she can't exactly cut herself open, so she uses the scanner to check her own body out.

And isnt having a chest burst rip out of you supposed to be agonisingly painful ? but Ripley some how manages to hold onto the Alien and Swan dive gracefully to her death.

Yeah... that is kinda daft. But then, she is the heroine, tempered in fire by two film's worth of harrowing battles with the Alien :wub:

I quite like Alien3 though. It's not a patch on the first two, but it's not terrible either. While I was pissed off with the killing off of Newt and Hicks, it was a pretty brave thing for the writers to do. There aren't many happy endings when dealing with this particular xenomorph, after all...

One thing I really don't like with Alien 3 is bringing it back for the last scare at the end. I know it's obligatory, but covering it in molten metal ought to be enough to finish it off - if fire kills 'em, molten metal would bloody well do the job too.

One thing I really don't like with Alien 3 is bringing it back for the last scare at the end. I know it's obligatory, but covering it in molten metal ought to be enough to finish it off - if fire kills 'em, molten metal would bloody well do the job too.

They can survive a limited time is empty space though (the original Alien being blown out of the rescue ship), so molten metal might just slow it down for a short time.

I've warmed to Alien 3 over the years, especially seeing the Special Edition in the Quadrilogy set. I think the acting (especially from the UK actors) is pretty poor, but the production design is fantastic. My favourite bit though is the messing about with the 20th Century Fox them at the start. I love it when filmmakers change the studio credits around.

worst film ever.

o/\o

Yeah totally.

Does anyone remember some comics that came out at the end of the 80's that was basically an alternate Alien 3?

If I remember correctly it had a clever plot twist where newt got woken before the others who were still asleep after aliens. She gets seperated from them and when they do eventually get awoken, next is around 25 and is very resentful that her suragate mother had left her.

Or something like that, anyone else remember?

o/\o

Yeah totally.

Does anyone remember some comics that came out at the end of the 80's that was basically an alternate Alien 3?

If I remember correctly it had a clever plot twist where newt got woken before the others who were still asleep after aliens. She gets seperated from them and when they do eventually get awoken, next is around 25 and is very resentful that her suragate mother had left her.

Or something like that, anyone else remember?

I think I have those stashed away somehwere. Aliens: Earth War, or something like that. They were more like graphic novels, though, I think. They definitely have an adult Newt in them.

Yeah, I remember that. It was quite funny in a way, because loads of post-Aliens comics had been done, and everyone was speculating on what Alien3 would be like - and then the film comes out and completely destroys all the comic storylines by killing all the characters off :o

That one with Newt was semi-reasonable IIRC, most of the others were pretty gash. Just Aliens re-hashed.

ALL the post-Aliens graphic novels had better plotting than the subsequent films. The whole 'illegal trade of Queen Royal Jelly' storyline that ran through several of them was fantastic. Read Aliens: Labyrinthe and Outbreak, as well as several others.

The Earth Hive (I think that's the name) books are simply amazing. They even bring back the Space Jockey aliens from the first film... who then suddenly vanish for no reason in the second book, if I remember correctly.