rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mindgames

Alien: The Directors Cut

I am a huge fan of the first 2 Alien films and have seen the directors cut of Alien a couple of times. I was talking to my mate in the pub last night and he had just seen it for the first time. He pointed something out that I hadnt noticed before.....why does Ripley kill Dallas when she finds him near the end? Surely there would be nothing wrong with him, he couldnt of been impregnated could he?

It certainly doesnt spoil the film for me, I just thought it was weird. (I can always watch the theatrical cut :) )

Surely it's no more complex than it being out of mercy?

Presumably he was being kept as food rather than as a host, but there's nothing to say the opposite wasn't the case - the idea of a 'queen' was only born in the second movie.

Rember that much of the lore came from the second movie - the original had the alien as a sort of lethal sex predator, not a 'worker' in a hive.

Yeh, good point about the queen not really existing in the films then. It just seemed that there wouldnt be much wrong with him bar being covered in alien....snot. But I guess he could of had something done to him by the alien to weaken him, or he may of been hurt.

These are the things you dont think about at the pub though!

We also discussed how crap the chest burster looks in the famous scene. Come on, that has always looked rubbish!

He doesn't look in a very good way at that point, I guess she figured if he was asking to be killed he thought he was fucked. Which is fair enough really.

Also, she'd probably been itching to get back at him for opening the door. Vindictive bloody cow.

alien.jpg

:) Thats great that!

Great how they didnt tell the actors (apart from john hurt) about the chest burster.

Yeh, I dont know how much I believe that though, they must of had a pretty good idea what was happening.

Yeh, I dont know how much I believe that though, they must of had a pretty good idea what was happening.

I reckon it's legit. Focus on Lambert; she looks more annoyed than horrified.

The rumor that the cast, except for John Hurt, did not know what would happen during the "chestburster" scene is partly true. The scene had been explained for them, but they did not know specifics. For example, Veronica Cartwright did not expect to be sprayed with blood.

I reckon it's legit. Focus on Lambert; she looks more annoyed than horrified.

Why didnt they all piss themselves when it ran across the table then? :)

Seriously though, its a top film.

Anyone seen the directors cut for Alien3? I thought it was good, I quite liked the film to start with as well. Only liked it mind, should of been better.

The studios messed up alien 3 because they changed almost everything about the story and script about 2 weeks before they were gonna start shooting it. The original director left the next one came in had a massive bust up with weaver because he made even more changes and then they had to hire a bunch of new actors quick hence the massive english cast.

It was originally meant to be set on a giant wooden temple flying through space and full of religous shoalin type monks as well but a lot of that got changed as well.

I reckon that would've been better.

Alien3 isn't THAT bad considering all the production problems it went through. It's much better than Ressurection and it's certainly better than that wooden planet shite.

I've read about the planned storylines for Alien3, some are pretty bizarre. One had a story about the company genetically engineering the alien into weapons, there was stuff like alien tanks and jets. Not hard to see why that one didnt get made! There was also that wooden spaceship one, and one set on a forest planet with an alien that could camoflage itself.

PREDATOR

Well, yeh :)

I think it had a bunch of monks in a monastary as well, as opposed to Arnie. The Alien was going to have adapted itself to look like wood IIRC.

I will dig out the book later and check.

Great how they didnt tell the actors (apart from john hurt) about the chest burster.

This is the one misconception that really pisses me off.

Look, clearly the actors new exactly what was going to happen because, funnily enough for a motion picture, they'd been handed a bit of paper (called a SCRIPT) telling them what was going to happen.

If you actually watch the special features that come with Alien DC then you'd know that the cast weren't expecting so much blood, hence Veronica Cartwright falling over.

condescending rant over.

Alien3 isn't THAT bad considering all the production problems it went through. It's much better than Ressurection and it's certainly better than that wooden planet shite.

So David Fincher walks off before the film is finished because its really good?

Don't think that was what Andsom was saying though; just that Alien 3 is better than Alien Resurrection, which is fair enough really, especially the special edition version.

Do directors walk off their own films because they are no good? I'd be surprised as that would be pretty damning. I thought it was more like he wasn't able to edit the film himself.

This is the one misconception that really pisses me off.

Look, clearly the actors new exactly what was going to happen because, funnily enough for a motion picture, they'd been handed a bit of paper (called a SCRIPT) telling them what was going to happen.

If you actually watch the special features that come with Alien DC then you'd know that the cast weren't expecting so much blood, hence Veronica Cartwright falling over.

condescending rant over.

I'm going on this fella:

According to the behind-the-scenes documentary The Beast Within: The Making of 'Alien', the film-crew kept the scene where the Chestburster emerges from Kane secret from all actors except John Hurt (Kane). The rest of the crew entered the scene with Kane already on the table and all cameras set. One cast-member later recalled feeling suspicious at finding all the movie-equipment covered with plastic film. In a brilliant move by Ridley Scott, none of the actors knew what they would witness, and as a result produced genuine reactions of shock, horror, and disgust.

I think Alien 3 turned out about as well as could be expected for a guy directing his first feature and basically having to write the script at the same time. The wooden planet thing would've been something to see if they could pull it off, but it'd end up either brilliant or absolutely ridiculous.. Hard to see anything inbetween.

I was trying to defend the second two films in the bargains folder the other day (Quadrilogy is £17.99 in HMV's online sale by the way in case anyone's not seen it), for all their flaws I can still watch them over and over again for their prettiness and to try and imagine how good they could've been. Fincher should have been able to make a fantastic Alien film in the right circumstances and Jeunet even now seems such a brave choice that it's hard not to admire them for giving him the job.

I find it pretty hard to believe that the actors in the chestburster scene didn't know what was going to happen- as someone pointed out above, that scene would have been in the script. I mean, what did they think was going to happen when they saw John Hurt lying there, rigged up to some elaborate special effects rig?

I think it's more likely that the actors just weren't told how gory it was going to be, and the story's grown in the telling. It reminds me of that story about how Sharon Stone claims that the leg-crossing scene from Basic Instinct was filmed without her knowledge- I've heard conspiracy theories that were more plausible than that.

I find it pretty hard to believe that the actors in the chestburster scene didn't know what was going to happen- as someone pointed out above, that scene would have been in the script. I mean, what did they think was going to happen when they saw John Hurt lying there, rigged up to some elaborate special effects rig?

The director doesn't have to show the actors all of the script. When Apocalypse now was being filmed the script wasn't even finished. Coppola would shoot the film in the day and write the script at night.

I'm going on this fella:

Tom Skerrit even says on the commentary track that they knew what was coming, but just didnt expect all the guts. I'll go with that, first hand information if you dont mind.