IGNORED

N64 PAL vs. NTSC

Anthony Taylor

Kryptonian - good link thanks, found some games i quite fancy on that site - shipping seems a bit excessive though, £7.50 for one game by EMS!

This might be a stupid question...but I am going to ask it anyway...do any jap n64 games have english language support?

Yeah, it's not the greatest for postage that one.

I looked on ebay and there wasnt much in the way of NTSC N64 games there. Were do you guys get all them from?

edit: also, is there a list anywere of the games that have better NTSC verisions? Or are they all just better?

from reading your posts in general I take it you are reasonably new to this whole retro collecting thing?

not that its a bad thing, just gives me more grounding to help you out

Even if it's 50Hz optimised?

Not being arsey, just wondering. Or do you mean with regard to FPS.

I'm not aware of a 50hz optimisation that ever matched an NTSC original, let alone surpassed it. Take the bullshit about the optimised PAL Halo for example *shudders*

Might be worth bearing in mind that a lot of PAL N64 games are optimised to run full-screen. Given that most N64 games are hideously blurry at the best of times, I don't think I'd like to see how blurry they'd be with the lower resolution of NTSC.

Mind you, this is countered by the option of RGB modding an NTSC system. Mmm, dilemma.

Might be worth bearing in mind that a lot of PAL N64 games are optimised to rull full-screen. Given that most N64 games are hideously blurry at the best of times, I don't think I'd like to see how blurry they'd be with the lower resolution of NTSC.

Mind you, this is countered by the option of RGB modding an NTSC system. Mmm, dilemma.

I don't have a major problem with using s-video, as long as you can set your telly up so the colours look right.

Composite is where it all goes wrong.

from reading your posts in general I take it you are reasonably new to this whole retro collecting thing?

not that its a bad thing, just gives me more grounding to help you out

umm, yeah I suppose so. Ive allways had a bit of a passion for older games, but it was only really since the last yeah i've been particully into it. I had a Megadrive/SNES/N64/PS1 before that , but not alot of games for them bar the PS1 and N64

Ive never really been too fussed about NTSC games though.

Might be worth bearing in mind that a lot of PAL N64 games are optimised to run full-screen.

Bearing in mind that 'full-screen' here means optimised for PAL display. Not quite full-screen, still in a window. Still slower for the most part too. F-Zero X being a perfect example (again).

Something like Starfox... oops, sorry, Lylat Wars is all the better for it though. Any version will do unless a) one is being pedantic about the name or b) you're l33t enough to be bothered by scores as the h4rdc0r3 seem to discredit the PAL version.

And yeah, the RGB thing above. Forgot about that. Pretty safe with a black one though, stick it in a coloured case.

Even if it's 50Hz optimised?

Not being arsey, just wondering. Or do you mean with regard to FPS.

Things like Ikaruga on PAL apparently run at the same SPEED as the NTSC version, but because of the frame-skipping involved to get such a result, look jerky as fuck. Optimised PAL conversions are basically one big LIE.

also, is there a list anywere of the games that have better NTSC verisions? Or are they all just better?

goldeneye is superior in pal, even N64 mag pointed this out quite regularly, and I can tell you from experience it is.

What did it say about it? It's hardly going to be the smoother version...

i think its higher res, N64 mag mentioned it quite a few times saying it was much superior than the ntsc version, i think they said it was the resolution, and I think but im not sure the ntsc version had a little black border at the bottom, (which is odd for a ntsc game i know its usualy the other way round)

god this brings me back! i used to love reading n64 mag. Is it just my rose tinted glasses or was n64 mag actually very very good?

The little black border is what you get when you display an NTSC image on a PAL TV, mostly. There's slightly less slowdown/frame skip and it does look marginally different but you'd have to be really picky to notice the difference, I reckon. I know the bro-in-law didn't notice the difference when we played it recently, a brand new US cart :o

Still an excellent game regardless of region.

If I get a JPN or US N64, can I just use the power brick from my PAL N64 with it or do I have to use the power brick it comes with and do something funky with step-down adapters?

Yep, they work fine which means you can look out for the cheap 'console only' listings.

I looked on ebay and there wasnt much in the way of NTSC N64 games there. Were do you guys get all them from?

Did you check ebay.com or jst ebay.co.uk?

I got my base unit and games from ebay.com, just use the advanced search and select 'ship to United Kingdom'.

Hey.

Ok I’m worried now GE and PD are my fave games of all time (I think depends on my mood) partly because there so well rounded and partly because of the time they came out, I probably wouldn’t play games anymore but GE got me right back in to them at a time when probably would have hung up my pads for good. But back to my point, can anyone give a definitive answer to the question, is there is any difference between the NTSC and PAL versions of these two games? I.e. do I need to get me a new N64 as I only have a PAL one and i hate thinking that I’m not playing it how it should be. if so will my expansion pack work with a NTSC system?

Tar

Hey.

Ok I’m worried now GE and PD are my fave games of all time (I think depends on my mood) partly because there so well rounded and partly because of the time they came out, I probably wouldn’t play games anymore but GE got me right back in to them at a time when probably would have hung up my pads for good. But back to my point, can anyone give a definitive answer to the question, is there is any difference between the NTSC and PAL versions of these two games? I.e. do I need to get me a new N64 as I only have a PAL one and i hate thinking that I’m not playing it how it should be. if so will my expansion pack work with a NTSC system?

Tar

The NTSC versions of both will be faster and smoother, but will have a slightly lower resolution.

Hey.

Tar

There's not that much difference really. GE performs a little better, faster even. Me and the bro-in-law played through both recently and he was a PD champ back in the day (still shit hot now mind) and he didn't notice a thing. Neither did I, come to think of it -_-

Yeah, your expansion pak will work fine.

nope the ntsc version of GE is not superior. full stop. I have both a pal n64 and ntsc n64, I also have a pal copy of ge and ntsc copy of ge, I know its not normal but the pal version is superior. Even n64 magazine said this at the time!!!!

nope the ntsc version of GE is not superior. full stop. I have both a pal n64 and ntsc n64, I also have a pal copy of ge and ntsc copy of ge, I know its not normal but the pal version is superior. Even n64 magazine said this at the time!!!!

Tell me why, please?

Pal version is higher res and if mem serves was properly optomised so no slower etc.

The resolution thing is almost impossible to notice when you're playing anything on the N64, with that fucking blur. Besides, it's not a huge leap in resolution. It's the same kind of difference between PAL/NTSC games on any console. It's also bound to be a TINY bit slower, and WILL have an inferior framerate.

Optimised PAL conversions just don't exist. They're a fucking LIE. They're always, always inferior in some way.

(same can happen in reverse, mind you.)