IGNORED

Final Fantasy XII (Official Topic)

zektbach

You don't really need to use a second team for the main story. I mean, a reserve team is handy for pulling off a second quickening chain or helping to revive your main team after they get accidentily wiped out but I've never really found them to be essential.

Having your b-team levelled up is essential if you want to tackle the optional espers and some hunts. Well, if you're intending to do these things as you progress through the game, I'm sure lots cold be done with an over-levelled single team later on.

Borrowed this from a friend for the bank holiday and what happens? I end up playing bloody Puzzle quest on the psp :lol::( Did manage to get an hour or so in and its confirmed what I already suspected. Whilst it looks and plays fine I just don't have the patience for this type of game anymore. My friend almost confirmed my suspicions when he said "you need to put at least ten hours into this before it really gets going" and I was like wtf?

This is the first FF where I've found the summons utterly useless. I haven't relied on any of them in a boss fight because they're so shit. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong?

Quite a few FF games I rarely used summons but that was because I didn't need to but they would prove helpful if I was in need to use one. In FFXII, I couldn't rely on any of them. After I used Belias against Tiamat I have never used a summon again.

The Marquis of Ondore. What accent is that supposed to be? It's like a hybrid Welsh/Cut glass English/ Pakistani.

Up there with Dick van Dyke and Denzel Washington in For Queen and Country. Solid stuff.

Just got past the Golmore? Jungle. It's okay, but strangley unengaging as a story and, ultimately, as a piece of entertainment. Playing the beautiful, refreshing and, more importantly, fun Okami before it hasn't done it any favours.

I'm right at the end of this now - 59 hours or so on the clock (although its about 53, as I left it on pause for an evening last weekend), everyone currently on level 47-48.

I started off absolutely loving it, but its wearing a bit thin now. The combat system starts off good and gets excellent, but you reach a sort of tipping point where you've got all your powerful spells, weapons and gambits set up, and the game really does just play itself with very little interaction required. One of my gf's housemates watched me playing for 1/2 hour or so at the weekend trawling through the Feywood and Giruvegan, and I realised that I barely touched anything bar the analogue stick in the whole time he was watching. It doesn't help that the last few sections seem to just be massively long, dull dungeons either - I only know I'm at the end because of a glimpse at gamefaqs, its not as though the story is building up to a climax or anything.

I haven't disliked the story so far per-se, but its always a bad sign when you have to turn on the subtitles just to understand what the hell is going on. Between the bizarre accents, odd dialects, and incomprehensible names, it really doesn't do itself many favours in terms of immersing the player in either the world or the characters. The story is also all just a bit... sparse - its nice that they're going for something on a grander scale than the typical FF, but theres nothing wrong with adding in some interpersonal relationships to bulk the tale out a bit. As it stands, its all very basic 'go here, kill this, find this', with your daily ration of cutscene following the 'find this' bit - theres almost none of the set pieces or diversions that you typically get in a FF game, and I miss that - looking back from the endgame it just seems like a massive slog, as you haven't had a break from walking, shopping and killing for 50 odd hours.

So yeah - if they could refine the fighting system slightly(perhaps adding some slight elements of skill to keep the player involved at higher levels) and combine that with a more typically FF-ish humorous, character driven story, I think I might have found the perfect FF. Looking forwards to seeing what they come up with in XIII.

That's the thing.. for something that people were rabidly frothing about, I find more to criticise than to praise..it got better for a while but I think I'm making myself play it now, which isn't a good sign in a product that is, essentially, entertainment. SPM arrives today - this may go on the pile, I think.

That's the thing.. for something that people were rabidly frothing about, I find more to criticise than to praise..it got better for a while but I think I'm making myself play it now, which isn't a good sign in a product that is, essentially, entertainment. SPM arrives today - this may go on the pile, I think.

SPM?

Up there with Dick van Dyke and Denzel Washington in For Queen and Country. Solid stuff.

Just got past the Golmore? Jungle. It's okay, but strangley unengaging as a story and, ultimately, as a piece of entertainment. Playing the beautiful, refreshing and, more importantly, fun Okami before it hasn't done it any favours.

I've just finished that jungle and starting the mines too. The game was great at first, and I like the changes to the combat and LP system, but it's lots of repetitive gameplay for a supposedly brilliant storyline that doesn't feel like it's really kicked in yet.

FF7 is one of my favourite games of all time, but I don't think I have patience nowadays to level up in exchange for FMV sequences. Especially not when I already do grinding in another (MMO) game and at least the efforts of that count for something online with other players.

Okami sounds like a game I should get :ph34r:

KT

I havent touched this for more than a month, as has been said the story is the poorest FF story yet, the improvements to the gameplay are good and it looks gorgeous, but i was really anticipating the best FF snice 7 considering all the hype it got pre release but its another unwhelming game. Final Fantasy games are nothing without a decent storyline.

I've still yet to complete a evenly numbered Final Fantasy. 7 > 9 > 10 > 8 > 12

okay i'm 12 or so hours into this, just got my first quickening and i just died going through some desert to find a shard of some sort and i'm finding it REALLY difficult compared to other FF's. My characters are at about level 11-13 at the moment, should i do some grinding before carrying on or am i just at a blip and it'll get easier after this?

okay i'm 12 or so hours into this, just got my first quickening and i just died going through some desert to find a shard of some sort and i'm finding it REALLY difficult compared to other FF's. My characters are at about level 11-13 at the moment, should i do some grinding before carrying on or am i just at a blip and it'll get easier after this?

Well, a lot of people would recommend going back to the Lhusu Mines but what I did was get to the save crystal half way across the desert (Between the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea and the Nam-Yensa Sandsea) where the moogle is. Outside to the left of that area is 4 Auraunes. Might not be the best exp but I would chain them by running back in forth in the 2 areas to get Succulent Fruit. Made quite a lot of money and gained quite a few levels too.

strangest thing, i went back to the game before reading your post and did exactly that, i've got a few quickenings on the go and i'm just gonna keep going at it till i get the quickenings for Penelo so that she can cast cura and still have one and a half MP gauges left for some regular curing later.

Cheers for the advice!!!

Finished! :(

After my earlier criticisms - what an ending! Really enjoyed the final sections, which had some spectacular FMV and some cool boss fights. Probably more story in the in the final hour than there was in the preceeding 20 though...

So yeah, its redeemed itself a bit for me now, although I'm a bit sad that they couldn't have made the whole thing that epic. Ah well.

Its well worth seeing through to the end, if theres anyone like me who was lagging a bit towards the finish.

Finished! ;)

After my earlier criticisms - what an ending! Really enjoyed the final sections, which had some spectacular FMV and some cool boss fights. Probably more story in the in the final hour than there was in the preceeding 20 though...

So yeah, its redeemed itself a bit for me now, although I'm a bit sad that they couldn't have made the whole thing that epic. Ah well.

Its well worth seeing through to the end, if theres anyone like me who was lagging a bit towards the finish.

Ok good that gives me the incentive to see this game through to the end. I've started to enjoy it more the only prob is i'm hooked on football manager 2007 ;)

Finished! ;)

The ending scene was good but I thought that the bosses in the final area came way, way too early and way too easy. I was at level 52/53 and I never had any major problems. Usually in my first play through in a FF game I struggle at lots of parts, especially with final bosses but I was disappointed in the challenge at the end.