PSP gets price cut to EUR199 (£140)...

tejstar

PSP will see a worldwide price cut this month. From March 22nd, European gamers will be able to buy a "base unit" (presumably devoid of stuff like the headphones) for 199 Euro (about £140).

US gamers will pay $199 from the end of the month, and the Japanese will pay 19,800 yen for a white unit from April 15th.

During a press conference in Tokyo today, Sony boss Ken Kutaragi also talked about the company's plans to add a PSone emulator to PSP, with games available through digital distribution to be stored on the Memory Stick.

Although timing on that has yet to be confirmed, Kutaragi was more specific about other new services - including an EyeToy camera peripheral to attach to the USB port, which launches in September, and video voice-over-IP (in other words, video-telephony), which will be available in October. Pricing on all of that's yet to be announced.

Kutaragi also discussed some of Sony's plans for updating PSP software this year, starting with network update to add Macromedia Flash support this, er, spring (touch wood, eh?).

There was no word on previously rumoured services and hardware iterations - for example, we know no more about "Sony Mail" or the rumoured PSP with built-in hard disk - but there was news on the GPS receiver mentioned at E3 last year. It will launch soon and have a role in games, starting with Hot Shots Golf.

An interesting year in prospect for PSP hardware, then, although - as with PS3 - there are still plenty of gaps to be filled in, presumably at this year's E3.

Sorry, here's the clicky!

Gnn! Bushido Blade on PSP!?!?! Tenchu Stealth Assasins?!?!?! This is the best news there has simply ever been (compared to all other mostly crappy PSP news).

EDIT: Actually, as Bushido Blade was only any good in two player, and as the chances of me ever meeting anyone with a PSP and a similar love and copy for BB are practically zero times by the chance of them releasing it, all I can say is oh balls. Back to Animal Crossing then!

How many PS1 discs did that come on? Would it even fit on a Memory Stick?

The actual game size is 200MB minus the cutscenes. This 200MB of data is repeated on all three discs. There is a different 400MB of FMV on each disc, meaning the total size of the game (without compressing it further) is around 1.4GB.

The actual game size is 200MB minus the cutscenes. This 200MB of data is repeated on all three discs. There is a different 400MB of FMV on each disc, meaning the total size of the game (without compressing it further) is around 1.4GB.

That FMV is at 640X480 though. There is what, 45 mins of FMV in FFVII? If that? You can comfortably fit that into 200MB at 480X272 with little drop of quality.

Here's the official release:

15/03/2006

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) Continues to Evolve Expanding the World of Portable Entertainment With New Peripherals, Features and Services

Base Model to Become Available in North America and Europe

Tokyo, March 15, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it will continue to further expand the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) platform with new attractive accessories, features and services responding to active demand throughout the world.

Since its launch in Japan in December 2004, North America in March 2005, and in Europe in September, 2005, PSP® has already shipped more than 15 million units worldwide establishing its position as a new handheld entertainment platform around the world. With its overwhelming power, unparalleled in handheld systems, PSP® has gained huge support from a broad range of users.

To accelerate further penetration throughout the world, a new Base Model in black color will become available in Europe from March 22, 2006, and 199 Euro/199US$ respectively in North America end of March 2006. SCEI will also introduce Ceramic White for the base model of PSP® (PSP-1000 CW) at a recommended retail price of 19,800 yen excluding tax (20,790 yen including tax) for the Japanese market.

On the software side, a series of new PSP®Game are expected to be released from third party developers, publishers and SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) * around the world.

Highly anticipated titles are such as DragonBall Z: Shin, Budokai (BANDAI CO.,LTD), LocoRoco (SCE WWS) and MIN-NA NO CHIZU (ZENRIN CO., LTD) in Japan, Field Commander (Sony Online Entertainment), Godfather (Electronic Arts) and Syphon Filter (SCEA) in North America, and Football Manager Handheld (Sega Europe) and Lemmings(SCEE) in Europe.

Since its launch, PSP® platform has evolved continuously with system software updates* adding new and attractive features such as internet browsing, playback and storing of high quality video. SCEI will further continue to update the system software and expand the world of entertainment with PSP®. As a next step, SCEI will newly add Macromedia® Flash® player and extend RSS Channel function which enable users to playback and save internet radio content and entertainment movies.

As part of SCEI’s passion to spread the entertainment world of PSP®. it has been introducing “PlayStation® Spot” * in Japan since February 2006. SCEI has now more than 150 locations at train stations, complex café and games shops where PSP® users can easily enjoy various content such as trial game software for free of charge. SCEI will further extend its location base so that more PSP® users could have easier access to the “PlayStation® Spot”.

For expanding the potential capability of PSP® hardware, new camera (PSP-300) and GPS receiver (PSP-290) will be introduced from this autumn. By adding these new attractive peripherals, new features such as motion tracking technology of Eye Toy™, developing the new game titles by utilizing the video chat function, portable navigating system with GPS function are highly expected.

SCEI will also start a new download service offering selected popular PlayStation® format tittles from the past. By reviving software assets, users will be able to enjoy exiting PlayStation® titles anytime, anywhere on PSP®.

SCEI aims to expand the world of entertainment with game, music and movies in the mobile entertainment arena by offering new peripherals and the continuous system software upgrades for the additional features on PSP®. With PlayStation, PlayStation®2 and PSP®, SCEI will create and develop a new world of computer entertainment through the fusion of game, music, movies and broadcasting.

*) Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios *) For details regarding the system software update of PSP, please refer to our official website (http://www.playstation.jp/psp). *) Area (spot) in which multiple PSP users can enjoy trial version data such as game demo at the same time, using wireless LAN.

Product Information Japan Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 CW Color Ceramic White Recommended Retail Price 19,800 Yen Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

US Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 Color Black Recommended Retail Price 199 US Dollars Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

Europe Models: Product Name PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) Product Code PSP-1000 Color Black Recommended Retail Price 199 Euros Included PSP™ hardware AC adaptor (for PSP™) Battery pack (for PSP™)

So the Core Pack is just the Value Pack minus the crappy headphones and slip case? With the PSP now only £140 does anyone think Nintendo will reduce the price of the DS Lite when it is released here in response now the prices are so close?

On a PS1? Closer to 320x240 surely?

Dunno! For the game engine, yeah, but for the FMV - Would have though that was rendered at "tv" resolution.

Even if it is at 320X240, todays compression means you could squeeze the file size down considerably - Ireckon you could comfortably fit the game on a 1GB stick.

Dunno! For the game engine, yeah, but for the FMV - Would have though that was rendered at "tv" resolution.

Even if it is at 320X240, todays compression means you could squeeze the file size down considerably - Ireckon you could comfortably fit the game on a 1GB stick.

I'm sure you are right about modern compression but the res wouldn't have been 640x480. Some later PS1 games went to higher res.

I'm sure you are right about modern compression but the res wouldn't have been 640x480. Some later PS1 games went to higher res.

Ah right ok, To be honest I never actually played the game on PS one, I played the PC port.

Which, come to think of it, I did because the resolution was upped to 640X480 :(

Ah right ok, To be honest I never actually played the game on PS one, I played the PC port.

Which, come to think of it, I did because the resolution was upped to 640X480 :unsure:

All the pre renderered graphics on the PC version were in low res (around 320x240) including the videos, all they did was do a nearest neighbour stretch on the origional graphics to fill the 640x480 screen.

The only thing you got in hi-res was the menuscreens, fonts and anything made of polygons. The prerendered backgrounds and fmv remained in the origional playstation resolution. ;)

EDIT: Beaten too it!

If I can play the original Final Fantasy Tactics on the loo I'm definitely getting another one.

I doubt it'd be a case of it running ripped isos from the stick though...?

Not officially but it'll probably be hacked to do just that.

Then I'll buy one :unsure: