Test Drive Unlimited

I had to delete my save and start all over again last night due to this problem I had with not being able to play offline which was a pain as my router is broken at the moment and I have to keep chopping and changing my leads around between the pc and the Xbox and my missus often wants to play Warcraft in the evenings.

No matter what I tried it always said that my game save had references to downloadable content and wouldn't let me into the game unless I was logged on. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was me pulling out the internet cable while playing. It seemed fine before then so I don't recommend anyone doing something silly like that as you could find yourself with a similar problem.

Anyway, I don't really mind as I adore this game and it was good to start all over again knowing a bit more than I did before.

Found out how to get into Honalulu International Airport last night and spent hours cruising up and down the runways dodging 747s with this bunch of loony Yanks. I wish the uploading of photos feature worked as I've got a cracking one of a Jumbo jet about 3 seconds away from landing on the roof of my Skyline.

couldn't you start a NEW GAME with out DELETING the existing save?

Nope, it wouldn't let me do that either. When I tried it just told me that any previous save would be wiped out by the new one. I hadn't been playing for long though so it's no biggie. I just wanted to tell the story to warn you guys as it would be a major pain if I'd been a long way into this game. Couldn't find any information about this on any other forum or website so I might have just been unlucky.

Edit: Ok, so I'm at home today and I've just tried the game again (offline) as I wanted to show my gf the photos I took and, yet again, it won't allow me to play the game without being connecting to Live.

It seems that if I download and then use any of the available downloadable content (I'm driving a Skyline at the mo) then going offline is a no no.

Would it be possible for one of you lot to try playing offline at some point to see if it's a common problem?

yeah, that's a weird one, cos you get the TDU SERVERS UNAVAILABLE thing all the time, but I guess you're still connected to live so using cars from the market place (bought car packs I mean) is still possible.

tonight I shall try my skyline without the network cable plugged in.

or something...

anyone else BOUGHT car packs?

tonight I shall try my skyline without the network cable plugged in.

I'd appreciate that and look forward to seeing what happens. It's a bit of a bummer if I can never be offline as there are some less popular races (such as the one on Ford island) that I haven't been able to try as there never seems to be anyone else around to race against and I can't seem to be able to race against bots instead when online which seems a strange ommision.

Still the best racing game I've played in years though despite these small niggles.

I think I've just found the cause of my problem on page 58.

Man, My 360 dies and I got my replacement but for some reason couldnt get on the network. Rather than faffing with net settings I thought i'd just play some TDU instead, except it wouldnt let me cos I've downloaded content off live and I need to be on Live to access it! WTF
Standard MS nonsense - not TDU's fault really.

If you've downloaded stuff off Live, you can only access it offline if you're using the original Xbox 360 you downloaded it on. Otherwise you need to be connected to use it. Try playing one of your previously-downloaded Xbox Live Arcade games and you'll see the same thing.

You've probably downloaded the Launch pack (two free cars) and it's modified your save accordingly, therefore you won't be able to use this save unless you're connected to Live.

Yes, it's nonsense.

My 360 broke after about 3 weeks and after going through the repair process I eventually ended up getting my machine sent back to me couple of weeks later. I'd read about the Live Arcade problem where you couldn't play the full versions unless you were online if MS had supplied you with a brand new console instead of repairing yours and so I checked my list of arcade games and sure enough I'd received a replacement. So thanks to MS and this stupid rule I can now never play TD offline again if I want to use the downloadable content as I downloaded it first on my previous machine. How fucked up is that?

Thanks for the help SeanR but you don't need to bother trying it offline for me now.

this situation sucks!

It sure does.

I just went to the US TD forum and there's complaints about this scattered across the entire board. Some people seem to think it will be fixed in patch number three but surely this is something that Microsoft themselves need to sort out as I don't suppose this is the only game that'll be affected by this crazy system.

Anyway, while trying to get on that forum I discovered a new game - Head to the official website and then click on 'Community'. Once there go to 'Forum' and try to move the cursor down to the US section before the list of countries disappear. Took me about 30 bloody goes to manage that. Perhaps we could get a competition going?

Any word on the PSP version? If it's any good it'd be a better fit for me than the 360 version, which has sat unplayed for months now.

Bastard.

TDU on the PSP is a miracle. There's an early version 'doing the rounds' at the moment. The police will randomly chase you and all the cars will occasionally vanish from the road, but it's otherwise complete.

It's the most amazing technical feat on the PSP. It makes MGS:PO look like it was made by monkeys. It's as good as the big version and the new handling model they've used for the PSP (and apparently the PS2 version) is lovely. Here's hoping it's the same model used by the Hardcore patch on the 360.

Any word on the PSP version? If it's any good it'd be a better fit for me than the 360 version, which has sat unplayed for months now.

It's a bonafide handheld miracle.

I've got the 360 version and I'm loving it but I was curious to see how this would turn out on the PSP so I donwloaded the game and played it for a couple of days before deleting it again and I can honestly say it's the most amazing handheld game I've ever seen. They must have magicians working for them to get this running the way it does.

If you're not going to play the 'proper' version then I can't recommend this highly enough. In fact, I loved it so much that I think I'll get a retail version myself when I've finished the 360 game just so I have an excuse to do it all again wherever and whenever I please.

It's a bonafide handheld miracle.

I've got the 360 version and I'm loving it but I was curious to see how this would turn out on the PSP so I donwloaded the game and played it for a couple of days before deleting it again and I can honestly say it's the most amazing handheld game I've ever seen. They must have magicians working for them to get this running the way it does.

If you're not going to play the 'proper' version then I can't recommend this highly enough. In fact, I loved it so much that I think I'll get a retail version myself when I've finished the 360 game just so I have an excuse to do it all again wherever and whenever I please.

It's available for like £17.99 pre-order, so i think i may be getting mine pre-ordered in the next few days. :(

Been playing single ranked races since no-ones up for club.

Had been playing this french guy all night (and since above post). He'd been relatively even with me in say a saleen or lower class car, but for 2 races in a row had hooked himself up with a koenigsegg CCR and decked my enzo into a barrier, despite my best efforts.

SO, I make a game up and he enters. We have a brief chat and we're away. Except this time, I've disabled player collisons. Well, he clearly hasn't checked. 1 min into the race he approches my left bumper and takes a mighty big swing. All I see is his car go through mine, crash hard into the barrier and spin. Lots.

I carry on for a 45 sec victory to the tune of some good sounding french words.......

Next game he's STILL moaning away. So I put it straight to him - collisons on BUT both have enzos.He agrees. Now, those of you that have hooked up with me will know thats not a great idea for him.

1 minute victory and the 30 win acheivement.

Beautiful.

Is this worth playing offline?

Yep, especially if you can get the updated vehicle handling patch. I've left TDU at home with my 360, there's no internet there so whenever I return to the motherland it's offline play only. But it's bloody fantastic.