IGNORED

Sony Conference Wednesday 15th March (Japan) 6am GMT

Nick Laslett

I'm yet to find this mysterious "mass market" about which you all speak. I recall no-one outside the technophile/ early-adopter bunch even going near the system until the price cut and GT3 release.

My few cents:

November release in Europe is nice. A worldwide job will probably result in a lot of good press, etc. But if it's up against a reduced-price 360 in Europe and it doesn't come in at £299 or less, it'll have issues selling.

The online service: free for basic gaming stuff, but you've got to register for the wider functionality- probably for the best, having to register one credit card for subscription payment and online-shop transactions will be a nice basic security measure.

The hard-drive- 60GB isn't huge, but it's a start, especially if you're going to DL a lot of PS1 and PS2 titles, music, etc. Linux, eh? Doesn't surprise me, really. But will it by a requirement? If it is, then it'll ship with it, no doubt. They'll probably launch an HDD-less PS3 in countries where the online service won't be available of course.

I'm probably not going to buy one until some games that get me excited show up. ZOE3 with an MGS4 demo would no doubt make me crack.

Where's the controller?

Final hardware spec unchanged from the E3 list, then?

Who gives a flying fuck about the graphics?

You're the worst post ever.

I'm enjoying the Live Arcade games on 360 a lot more than the shinier titles. End of the day, it'll be all about the games. Fuck specs and all the "my console is best because of its power" nonsense. DS proved that you can have a system which isn't all about shiny graphics but provide some fantastic games.

Erm, so is it shipping with a hdd or not?

It looks like it'll ship with the HDD in most regions. But I reckon they'll launch an HDD-less model in some regions which doesn't play games, and sell it off the back of the Web ability and Blu-Ray playback at a higher price... just a theory.

I'm yet to find this mysterious "mass market" about which you all speak. I recall no-one outside the technophile/ early-adopter bunch even going near the system until the price cut and GT3 release.

My few cents:

November release in Europe is nice. A worldwide job will probably result in a lot of good press, etc. But if it's up against a reduced-price 360 in Europe and it doesn't come in at £299 or less, it'll have issues selling.

The online service: free for basic gaming stuff, but you've got to register for the wider functionality- probably for the best, having to register one credit card for subscription payment and online-shop transactions will be a nice basic security measure.

The hard-drive- 60GB isn't huge, but it's a start, especially if you're going to DL a lot of PS1 and PS2 titles, music, etc. Linux, eh? Doesn't surprise me, really. But will it by a requirement? If it is, then it'll ship with it, no doubt. They'll probably launch an HDD-less PS3 in countries where the online service won't be available of course.

I'm probably not going to buy one until some games that get me excited show up. ZOE3 with an MGS4 demo would no doubt make me crack.

Where's the controller?

Final hardware spec unchanged from the E3 list, then?

DAMAGE CONTROL

RED ALERT

While all the stories are saying it's been delayed, doesn't that depend on where you are? Sure, it's delayed from the expected launch in Japan, but isn't it ahead of the expected launch in Europe (people saying 2007) and maybe around the expected time for US?

But if it's up against a reduced-price 360 in Europe and it doesn't come in at £299 or less, it'll have issues selling.

I'd bet you a lot of money (at least 14p) that it won't have any trouble selling, whatever the competition. At least at the beginning. People will buy blind, and that thing will fly off the shelves on launch night.

I'd bet you a lot of money (at least 14p) that it won't have any trouble selling, whatever the competition. At least at the beginning. People will buy blind, and that thing will fly off the shelves on launch night.

Launch night and (slightly) longer term are different things. I'd imagine the price won't matter too much to the 'hardcore/grown-up' demographic most of us fall into, but I'd think a higher price could hit equally large 'parents buying for little Johnny's Christmas present' market pretty hard.

I just re-checked the numbers for this month for 360 shipments here in the states:

march

week one:

1,450 premium systems - 450 core systems

week two:

80,250 premium systems - 16,750 core systems

week three (next week):

30,500 premium systems - 6,300 core systems

not stellar figures and obviously not evening coming close to the numbers that they projected back in december with huge fluctuations on a week by week basis. one has to wonder if a large company like microsoft is having these types of production issues 4 months after launch, will sony fare any better with a similiar situation [new manufacturing and production facilities]?

Sony's strength is that they make everything themselves in-house from the drives to the CPU's. Microsoft have to buy everything in.

So if Sony find that Cell yields aren't as they'd like, they can just open a new fabbing plant (which is exactly what they did when Emotion Engine yields were poor pre-PS2 launch). If Microsoft find that IBM aren't getting very good CPU yields (which I believe to be the reason for their shortages)... tough. They can't force IBM to open new factories.

It's for that reason alone I have more faith that Sony can pull off a worldwide launch. If you don't have to rely on third parties for your components, you have so much more control.

Improve the sticks on the Dualshock 2 and you've got the best pad ever, in my opinion. I love the DS2.

Replace that dualshock with the DC controller and you got the world bestest pad.

Oh no wait someone did that, that would be the xbox pad ^_^

If Microsoft find that IBM aren't getting very good CPU yields (which I believe to be the reason for their shortages)... tough. They can't force IBM to open new factories.

I doubt a company of IBM's size have that problem to be honest.

Replace that dualshock with the DC controller and you got the world bestest pad.

I've never understood why so many people think the DC controller is the best... Not a dig at you, just curious as to what people think is so good about it?

I have borrowed my mates DC and the Shenmue games right now and, although Shenmue is fucking excellent, I found the DC controller awkward with the wire coming out of the bottom of the controller instead of the top.

Maybe it's just me? ^_^

Poop. It's got a shedload more design in there than that horrific Spiderman-fonted minger of a console. I look at that alternate design and think I'm in a Kubrickian universe where the future actually did turn out great after all.

Finally found the renders of the redsesign.... Hmm a: in which Kubrick film exactly does the future turn out all right? Clean and pristine maybe, but most of his films are depressingier than all that (first time I've disagreed with PH ever, another barrier broken). Great, fantastic films, but hardly turning out all right and b: that surely can't be the final design. X360 and PS2 has been about horizontal and vertical placement, that render only gives you the one option (although the same can be said about the Rev although the design of that is far cleaner, lovelier and classier). More than that it's turned from a curved breadbin with spiderman stlylee to a sad recreation of a little used Star Trek prop. It is better, but still not exactly ploughing new ground here.

Once again Nintendo win the design race (for me anyhow). Whoever is doing the Sony stylings needs to a: get out more, b: stop looking at his Star Trek DVD limited edition collector series duotoned plastic injection molded series cases and c: get out more.

Not that it'll change much, the PS3 will sell by the shedload unless the pricing is all wrong... A huge percentage of the console sales must be the parents being pestered into it and there's a cut off point to which they'll cave in on, or at least there should be. Me I'll get one when the price is right and a game comes out that I just can't wait for, but I'll almost certainly be getting the X360 and Halo 3 price cut bundle that'll be released as a spoiler tactic first for that Christmas and a PS3 during the next year sometime. Did that with PS2 (although I bought an Xbox on launch for Rallisport, Halo and Munch because the games made me do it) and I can't see that it'll be different this time, especially if the launch titles are comparible with Smugglers, Fantavision, Tekken Tag and the rest.

I've never understood why so many people think the DC controller is the best... Not a dig at you, just curious as to what people think is so good about it?

I have borrowed my mates DC and the Shenmue games right now and, although Shenmue is fucking excellent, I found the DC controller awkward with the wire coming out of the bottom of the controller instead of the top.

Maybe it's just me? :D

Turn the DC controller over. See that little groove just under the dual expansion port? Tightly tuck the lead into there. Voila! It's like it's not coming out the back any more! ^_^

Maybe it's just me? ^_^

Nope. Having the wire come out the bottom was a decision that I've never been able to fathom, and I personally hold it alone fully responsible for the failure of the Dreamcast. It was just an alright pad I found, not bad, not good, but it was superceded by the GC pad and that's been beaten again by the 360 pad, which is only a D-Pad away from perfection.

The Xbox managed that though and still had the wire coming out the top.

Just stop it :P ever seen a VMU how big is it compaired to an Xbox memory card - 2X bigger with a screen a D-pad and buttons!

Get back on topic the DC is history this should be about PS3!

No, Tekken Tag Tournament made the PS2 an essential launch. That's what I bought one at launch for and I was most pleased with it. :P

Ok it made it an essential launch for you then. But in essence it was a better looking tekken 3 with a tag mode added on. Thats it.

Essential is a strong word, and it surely cant be applied to TTT or any of the PS2/360 launch games (pg3 was great, but not different enough a racer from the previous two to be held as ground breaking and cod2 has been on the pc for weeks). Im talking, super mario world, mario 64, halo type launch greatness. Those were essential, even if you didn't like them you had to appreciate what they did for gaming.

Ok it made it an essential launch for you then. But in essence it was a better looking tekken 3 with a tag mode added on. Thats it.

And bowling. Don't forget the bowling. NEVER FORGET THE BOWLING!!

And most games on new formats are basically old games with shinier graphics. TTT had the shiniest graphics I'd ever seen, all built upon a tried and tested gameplay foundation. It's my favourite of the series and probably my favourite fighting game ever.

Essential is a strong word, and it surely cant be applied to TTT or any of the PS2/360 launch games (pg3 was great, but not different enough a racer from the previous two to be held as ground breaking and cod2 has been on the pc for weeks). Im talking, super mario world, mario 64, halo type launch greatness. Those were essential, even if you didn't like them you had to appreciate what they did for gaming.

Uh, if I don't like something, then it's not essential. :P

Uh, if I don't like something, then it's not essential. :P

Then stick IMO at the end of each of your posts :(

Also neither of the three games I said were old games with shiner graphics. They were ground breaking, and from an objective viewpoint, made those launches essential for the most of us ;)