The 3D Thread

suzakuseven

Do you work on your UV mapping as you go, or do you do it at the end of the modelling? I find it always so tempting to concentrate on the model only to be baffled near the end when you have to the whole fucking UV mapping before you can get down to texturing it.

I do UV mapping afterwards but it helps to think about it during the modeling pass, for example trying to repeat elements where possible so you have less texturing to do and keeping the budget down. As for the UV pass I tackle certain elements one at a time and lay out a basic temporary texture in photoshop, so I'm switching constantly between UV mapping and photoshop. Yeah I couldn't just do the UV pass in one go, I mean it can be really nice and relaxing actually to do it while listening to music/podcasts but only for a hour or two at a time!

Do you work on your UV mapping as you go, or do you do it at the end of the modelling? I find it always so tempting to concentrate on the model only to be baffled near the end when you have to the whole fucking UV mapping before you can get down to texturing it.

I agree with what Capwn says above; I tend to do all my unwrapping afterwards but try to think about it in advance whilst modelling; not that I've done any modelling for over 18 months now.

Update : Some rough screenshots showing 90% UV pass with (mostly) block out textures. Only have 1-2 days left on this and yet I could happily spend another week. So much to do but need to concentrate on having something that can be handed in.

Essential tasks still to do...

- Tweak/change textures. Create some variation textures (different type brick textures especially)

- Window Textures

- Normal maps and Spec maps for all textures.

- Clean up scene

Tasks I'd love to do if I have time

- Dirt alphas placed over scene

- More props (streetlamps, bins, benches etc)

- Full UV2 lightbake pass with colour info to help break up any large tiling surfaces

AC_urbanwip05.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome Capwn. Have you sent away your application then now? I'm in limbo right now. Applied to most places in Scotland with no luck so probably gonna have to move elsewhere to get a job.

I planned to learn Maya or Max over the summer but had a few setbacks so only managing to start properly now. What would anyone recommend as the one I should learn?

Looks awesome Capwn. Have you sent away your application then now? I'm in limbo right now. Applied to most places in Scotland with no luck so probably gonna have to move elsewhere to get a job.

I planned to learn Maya or Max over the summer but had a few setbacks so only managing to start properly now. What would anyone recommend as the one I should learn?

Generally most people seem to think if you learn Max then Maya is easier to pick up afterwards. Personally though if I were you I would focus on one but try and get a little familiarity with the other too. I use Max myself but if I was going to learn one of them from scratch i'd probably go with Maya simply because when I was poking around looking for jobs I felt that Maya experience seemed to crop up more often than 3D max.

So I actually decided to go for Max, got one book to help me but are there any books in particular anyone would recommend for learning Max and doing environment work in it?

Anyone used the website Aniboom? Stuck my CV etc on it last week, seems an interesting idea.

Howdy, as a long time XSI user, i'd have to say go for XSI. BUT as autodesk have now monopolised the 3d market with Maya, Max and XSI under their banner, i fear for how they're going to develop them.

A good friend of mine who is a programmer by trade, is currently looking into a 3d application for some more technical artist work we've got going on on our game. He's been heavily looking into Maya, Max, XSI and Modo to see which if any, are any good.

Maya - the "i use Maya because we learned it in Uni" is awful. If you like windows everywhere, comparitively restrictive and poor symmetry options and poly tools unless you find some plugins, and an interface straight out of windows 3.1.

Max, again is suffering from the everything in one box, and a cluttered and unhelpful UI. Max suffers from a lot of what Maya suffers from in this regard.

the benefits of these two options is, they're used a lot. That doesnt mean that they're any good though.

XSI - Inititally visualised as an animation tool, XSI has some REALLY great poly tools and the wonderful ICE (think node based creative system for making trees, particles and deformations etc) XSI's interface and raycast selecting etc is awesome. XSI is suffering a little bit under the wing of Autodesk, as they have done zero marketing of the application, next to zero developer promoting for extra tools and support to get plugins ported to the system and many XSI users fear for its future as a modelling application. apart from this, it's wonderful as a poly modeller for environments, rigid and soft body modelling.

Modo - the new kid on the block really. built from the Ligthwave guys, it's a really great modelling application. with some nice fancy drilling tools for lining up off-shape objects to lay onto the sides of other polygons and shapes. my mate who is studying which modeller to use after a few months research and playing, has decided to plump for Modo for his modelling, and all rigging and animation he needs to do will be done in XSI

There is Cinema4d, which a lot of the compositor crowd and VFX guys seem to be using these days. I blame VCP and Greyscale Gorilla, but yeah.

I'll pm you some stuff also

Didn't get the job in the end, about to do another art test but am making sure I don't go mental this time. Restrict myself to 30-50 hours only.

As for Max/Maya, am doing lots of job searching right now and it really seems 50/50. So Rossco, how advanced are you with Max? What sort of level are you at?

also - don't get too hung up in application hell. if you've got the ability to model and produce great quality models and art assets in application A, and they like what they see, it wont take too long to train you up and transpose your skills into a different environment. so practice your ability in whatever you'll find easiest, become un-turndownable, and it wont matter.

sci-fi_corridoor1.jpg

radcliffe_render_1.jpg

just some portfolio work I'm trying at the moment, I must say it was worth learning the ins and outs of UDK just so you can get some great screenshots.

On learning Maya, I used Max for years and then we were told at work to learn Maya and surprisingly it didn't take too long to get the hang of it, the tools do the same thing, they're just hard to find at first. You can see they're becoming more alike. After a few months with Maya I can now jump between it and Max pretty well.

Adam I could put in a good word for you at work if you're keen on a move to Scotland?

Adam I could put in a good word for you at work if you're keen on a move to Scotland?

Thanks for the offer but tried doing the art test at the start of the year before joining Frontier and got rejected so doubt I can get in there. Have a few things on the go at the moment, maybe if all that doesn't turn out well I'll give it another shot.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys hows everyone getting on? Updates on jobs and any work everyones doing?

Once again I've been held back from furthering my skills but the last few days have eventually been spent learning 3ds Max. Theres a 1800+ page tutorial PDF on the autodesk website for Max 2011 which I downloaded and it seems a great help for a noob to Autodesk software. :)

I've got the bug again thats for sure so can't wait to get my skills back up and hopefully get a job soon! From a few days of messing around with Max it seems an amazing piece of software compared to Lightwave. There appears to be alot of automation and help from the software in creating things which has it's ups and downs. It's good because you can do things faster than normal but it seems very messy. There are so many options everywhere. Whereas when I used Lightwave, it felt such a manual program and I could just sit down and do what I wanted without distraction.

We'll see how I fare with it in the long run though, I'm definitely excited about getting back into 3D as I have sorely missed it since I graduated.

Edit:

Those shots look nice utero! Are they created in Max or whatever then imported into UE and screenshots taken when its running realtime then?

Good luck with max rossco, if you have any questions you can always ask here. Though really you're best going to maxforums.org, that's where I go for quick answers.

Some recent stuff I've done...

http://www.caponeart.com/tower.htm

http://www.caponeart.com/torch.htm

Also, REALLY excited about my Nintendo animation that will be kicking off the cap10000ne event. Spent nearly 2 years on it (very on and off though with months of breaks in between)and really curious how it's received. 8 Minutes of animation more or less. I'll talk more about it once it's out there.

As for jobs, most promising one is a Canadian studio. Had 2 successful telephone interviews and was told that they want me to go over in mid jan, that was before xmas and since then I've not heard much. Communicating with an recruiter who last told me that they will find out for me but that was a week ago... :unsure: Other than that not much else is going on. Am doing a texture for my hearse vehicle that I finished modelling over a year ago!

Nice one capone, cheers for the link, I'll have a look there for any issues I will no doubt be having! :lol:

I reckon I should be learning Zbrush or something similar too. Is that what you have used to create the normal maps for the detail in your tower?

The Nintendo animation sounds interesting, don't forget to keep us posted with that.

Noses look good to me mate, just as you'd expect a nose to be, they don't stand out as being shit or anything so jobs a goodun! :D I'm so not into character design at all though. I did not enjoy it at all at uni.

I reckon I should be learning Zbrush or something similar too. Is that what you have used to create the normal maps for the detail in your tower?

I wouldn't worry too much about zbrush if you're starting out with 3D max. It's becoming more and more essential though all you really need to learn as an environment artist is using the using the viewport/brushes/importing/exporting to max.

I wouldn't worry too much about zbrush if you're starting out with 3D max. It's becoming more and more essential though all you really need to learn as an environment artist is using the using the viewport/brushes/importing/exporting to max.

Cool I will have a look into it in a few weeks then thanks. :)

Will check out the vid tomorrow mate, too tired now. Had a quick glance at it though and certainly looks interesting to say the least!!!! hehe

Those shots look nice utero! Are they created in Max or whatever then imported into UE and screenshots taken when its running realtime then?

Yeah, created in Max/Maya and brought into Unreal, I must say unreal is priceless for showing off your work, everything looks great in it, no need to take renders, just take a print screen image and the results speak for themselves. :)

Yeah, created in Max/Maya and brought into Unreal, I must say unreal is priceless for showing off your work, everything looks great in it, no need to take renders, just take a print screen image and the results speak for themselves. :)

Nice. Is it easy to do or is there alot of fiddling about? I remember when I looked into Unreal a year or so ago it was a minefield to get anything useful out of it!

Is it as easy as opening up the scene from max and shazam!?

Never actually taken a high poly model before to use it's normal map on a low poly version. Just done it there in max though and it is shit hot! The fact you can see normals in real time in the viewport is awesome too. I sorely wanted that when using Lightwave for the last few years!

• 2 weeks later...

Got back to tinkering about some more today with Max. Done some texturing tutorials to get used to the material editor and then this modelling/mapping one to create some building fronts from images then adding depth to window ledges, doorways, etc. Getting a bit more confident with it now but I'm still overwhelmed by it all. So many options to sift through. Mapping seems very good though, used a Sketch Vertices tool to draw out the map for the inside of the archway in the picture. Quite cool. :)

21415805.jpg

Gotta find some more tutorials on enviroment modelling/texturing though if anyone knows any good ones for new users?