The 3D Thread

suzakuseven

Train!

I did Multimedia Design & Digital Animation.

it was a very broad subject regarding the 3D parts of it. modelling was a couple of modules on its own, then it seemed to jump straight into advanced rigging and animation. I don't recall any unwrapping and texturing lectures.

Banjo Kazooie?? A train?? :(

Ah, right. Do you know anyone that does 3D? I'd say it's much quicker to learn if someone tells you exactly how to do it. That's the thing I hated about uni. It's the 'bishops of yore' thing... they could read and write and so held the most power. With 3D, people would keep their methods close to their chest, lest everyone else reach their level. They'd spout shit excuses on uni message boards like, "You can't expect to be spoonfed in the real world...", but once you're out in the real world, in a job, you're usually told exactly how things work, it's in their interest to get you up and running. Subsequently you learn more in a week than you did during a year at university. Anyway, rant over. :hat:

ive just been eating my lunch and watched a tutorial and had my "eurika" moment. If i can get a few minutes tonight i'll have a go at the handle and show my progress. but i feel a full on 4 year barrier breached and more modelling on its way!

go go crappy render settings!

rev_r09.jpg

One thing i see i need to work on, is texture map efficiency. currently working on a 512x512 texture, but i reckon i'm going to double it, just to preserve detail for the whole model.

What course did you do Nicky? Just wondering why you'd be taught 3D without the basics of texture mapping.

Just a little project born out of boredom...who can guess what it is??! :)

Nice clean model.

Porco rosso's plane?

Bingo! Needs the ailerons/rudder/elevators, and the shut lines, but I was hoping to add all that via normal map (if I ever get around to it). Maybe I should make the flappy bits moveable actually. I'm not really sure what polycount to aim for...

go go crappy render settings!

rev_r09.jpg

One thing i see i need to work on, is texture map efficiency. currently working on a 512x512 texture, but i reckon i'm going to double it, just to preserve detail for the whole model.

Good to see you're getting the jist of it. Unwrapping without someone there to give guidance at first is always hard. If it's a third person weapon asset then put a checkerboard texture on the whole object and make sure it's evenly spaced all over. If it's purely first person then give the iron sights/rear/hammer and grip/stock, that will be most visible, about 70% of your UV space as it will be filling the screen the majority of the time. The rest will only really be seen when doing reload anims and even then it'll be in quick motion so less need to worry.

And I'd argue the toss with No. 28 here. If it's first person then a 1024 max , not a 2048, as even close up you'll never get the benefit unless running insane res. Your spec and a tight normal map should do a lot of work in keeping it looking pretty. If third person only, then a 512 will suffice in almost any situation.

Remember, if this is portfolio work, if you can show a low res model with a low res texture that looks really tight, it'll win you the day a million times more that a sloppy mesh and high res maps with poorly spaced UVs.

Final tip. If you work at a higher res and then downscale, which you'll find a lot of games artists do, then it's almost always worth running an Unsharp Mask filter on it in Photoshop. Only subtle settings, but you'll regain the pop you lost through resizing on scratches and other tiny details.

Unwrapping without someone there to give guidance at first is always hard.

I agree, but I would add that unwrapping is extremely important. Even the best texture artist can't do anything with a poorly unwrapped model, so try to practice it until you're good at it.

Final tip. If you work at a higher res and then downscale, which you'll find a lot of games artists do, then it's almost always worth running an Unsharp Mask filter on it in Photoshop. Only subtle settings, but you'll regain the pop you lost through resizing on scratches and other tiny details.
Fozz knows more about this stuff than I do; the only addition I have to the above rule is to not do this for textures that are very small - i.e. 64x64-256x256. For those, it's better to work with the actual size they're going to be.

Bingo! Needs the ailerons/rudder/elevators, and the shut lines, but I was hoping to add all that via normal map (if I ever get around to it). Maybe I should make the flappy bits moveable actually. I'm not really sure what polycount to aim for...

http://www.craftanimations.com/default/ind...plane-extended/

Seen this plug-in?

You can rig it up and fly it with a joystick.

• 2 weeks later...

So uni has been done a few weeks now, I've seen some preliminary marks and based on them my average is still just on track for a first class honours but one module hasnt been included and I don't expect to keep the first class when they are added. :angry:

Anyway, that's hardly gonna make a difference to me getting a job as 50% of my Computer Animation degree is written work and I always get great scores for the practical stuff.

Gonna be a big post here with links to all the videos and pictures of my final work from 4th year.

First of all was the Special Effects class, ignore the animation of the character, not being marked on it and didn't have any spare time to tidy it up more.

49565707.jpg

Really happy with the results here considering how long it took me and it was basically all self taught.

Then I have Italia, my environment project which I put most of my time into. This is the one I don't think I'll get the A for to keep my average above the required as there was so much written work required for it and I lost about a month in time of work on this due to trying to get into Dare to be Digital. I am happy with the results but it could have been so much better.

71703252.jpg

39779282.jpg

38822452.jpg

97142989.jpg

82967397.jpg

82700742.jpg

28166684.jpg

11456703.jpg

64398635.jpg

66882751.jpg

Started applying for jobs now. Was at a recruitment fair in Dundee last week, most of the companies I knew of were there apart from Ruffian and Rockstar. Gave them all showreels, cvs, etc and have emailed them since so just waiting for responses now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I apologise in advance for the stupid question, but I'm winding myself up in knots trying to do something probably very simple in 3ds Max.

Basically I want to make 'space' space, a, erm, skybox thing, with stars and stuff. A background for a space scene, if you will. I have a 'starfield' texture (jpg) and a massive sphere on which to put it. I've flipped all the surfaces of the sphere so it faces inwards, and applied UVW map with a spherical shape. I've made a 'generic' material with the starfield texture and it looks good in the preview window. I've applied it to the sphere.

I render. I see nothing. What am I not doing / doing wrong?

My lights are all surrounding / illuminating my foreground object (a spaceship), so it's like there are no lights on the background / it's too far away to be illuminated. I don't want to add hundreds of little lights to the inside of the sphere. I tried making the material itself glow but then everything just went white; I tried making the texture map itself bigger so it could be seen from afar but I had no idea how big it should be and couldn't remember how to preview a texture in the main window; and I then thought what if I made the texture have little transparent holes and put lights on the outside and then I just got myself even more confused and annoyed that something so stupifyingly simple would be so hard to do, but then I figured that's life. Argh!

Sorry for noobing up the thread again. It can't be a particularly difficult thing to do. I had originally made my starry background a 2D element in After Effects and just panned and rotated it around by hand, but that looked tacky and wrong. I have a perfectly good 3D model, camera and texture here, I just seemingly lack the skills to put them all together usefully. Can anyone help me? :(

EDIT: I'm probably overthinking this. Can't I just make the texture into a spherical environment map?