The 3D Thread

suzakuseven

Has anyone got any advice on Placements? I need to start looking for my placement for my next year of Uni so I'm putting my CV together at the moment. What sort of thing are studios looking for and is it likely that they'll take on someone for a placement?

Also what studios are around down south? I live in Bournemouth at the moment and I know there's not a lot here. I know there's Criterion in Guildford and Climax is in Portsmouth but I'm really worried about getting somewhere. I'd like a place within the Games Industry as that's where my heart lies but to be honest I'd take any sort of CGI placement, whether it be games, animation or architectural visualisation. I'm doing a CGI: Modelling and Animation degree at the moment so it's pretty flexible.

How far have they gotten with that? I'm a bit behind the times on unwrapping; I have done some pelt-mapping stuff but I still used to do all of mine by hand. Has the software improved to that point yet?

I'm probably not the person to ask as i've all but given this stuff up. I'm pretty sure various plugins have existed for years that can simplify the process dramatically, and i'm sure by now they have become a lot more impressive, but like I say, I usually just stick to the basics myself.

Looking good btw Rossco. What are you rendering it with? Does Lightwave use Mental Ray too?

Re: Placements. It's basically the same as going for a job, although obviously they're going to be more lenient regarding your skills. If you can hit the ground running though, they're going to pick you. At the end of the day, they're a business, and if someone in your year already happens to have years in the industry, they'll snap them up, forsaking those who are desperate for experience. I think a website portfolio is the done thing these days, but maybe Adam can advise you better seeing as he just recently found work.

To answer your question though, sadly no, it's very unlikely you will find somewhere, especially at a time like this, so don't feel too put out if you get nowhere. :wub:

Looking good btw Rossco. What are you rendering it with? Does Lightwave use Mental Ray too?

No Lightwave doesn't use Mental Ray. Only plugin I use for rendering is something called FPrime. It's nothing fancy like Mental Ray, I use it only because it renders faster and helps alot with workflow when setting up textures and lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

A month without any discussion in here, whats going on guys!? Hows everyone doing, any exciting projects to share?

Have so many different projects on the go right now its sickening. 4 and half weeks to go though until uni is done forever and still so much to do.

Pretty much finished the modelling on my Italia project. Started texturing the other day and here are the first WIP results for one side of the piazza. Basically gotta finish texturing it, light it, animate a camera doing a 2 minute flythrough then render it. It's gonna be a time factor whether I get to add foilage, plants, bushes, etc and a fountain in the centre now. All this amongst many other projects, reports, etc. Great fun. :lol:

109cb.jpg

108zj.jpg

104w.jpg

And also some images of a camera we done as a group project for a 20 second advert. Someone else modelled it but I textured it myself.

40929630.jpg

82147614.jpg

39bks.jpg

The final 20 second piece isn't finished but I could upload that once it's done.

Oh also, while I am am here, I've got an essay I'm doing on HDRI environment mapping/lighting and I'm struggling to find good reference material. If anyone knows a good website/book/etc that would help I would be extremely grateful.

And another thing to mention! Got our entry in for Dare to be Digital, just waiting to hear if we got an interview now, nervous times! Okay thats all for now. :wub:

Here's a couple of renders of my last assignment.

We had to model and light a scene of our choosing (out of 3 possible choices) so I did a New York Backstreet. Turned out pretty well and has been one of my better pieces of coursework. I think I'm much better at hard edged things than organic modelling as I really struggle with organics but need to practice getting better at it really!

render011920x1080.jpg

render021920x1080.jpg

render031920x1080.jpg

render041920x1080.jpg

render051920x1080.jpg

and here's the complimentary walkthrough video

Cool looks good, certainly better than the stuff we were doing in 2nd year! Looks like you're getting taught some decent stuff. Although I would say, it looks like your bumpmap for the bricks is inverted as the bricks seem to curve in rather than out. I might be wrong, but it looks cool though. :)

Got accepted for an interview for Dare to be Digital next week now. So excited and relieved! :angry: Will be AMAZING if we get in.

Awww, we haven't heard from Dare, does that mean we haven't got in? Massive sad face :angry:

In my last year of uni doing Games Design in Stafford, one of my last modules is making a character for unreal. Now I really don't like posting my work in fear of being ridiculed but with people in the industry on Rllmuk I thought I best get some criticism on the model.

rendersheet1.png

I've got it running in the Unreal Engine but when I made my own faction the animation/skeletons didn't transfer over. Does anyone know how to import a female rig? I've got the Family Class info below, about the first person arms... But in game I have neither animations or first person arms. My character runs round in the T pose.

class UTFamilyInfo_IceWoman extends UTFamilyInfo_Ironguard
abstract;

defaultproperties
{
FamilyID="ICEF"
ArmMeshPackageName="CH_Ice"
ArmMeshName="CH_Ice.FP_arm01"
ArmSkinPackageName="CH_Ice"
RedArmSkinName="CH_Ice.MI_CH_Ice_Mbody01_V01"
BlueArmSkinName="CH_Ice.MI_CH_Ice_Mbody01_V01"
NeckStumpName="SK_CH_IronG_Male_NeckStump01"
PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_AnimHuman.Mesh.SK_CH_BaseMale_Physics'
AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_AnimHuman.Anims.K_AnimHuman_BaseMale'
BaseMICParent=MaterialInstanceConstant'CH_All.Materials.MI_CH_ALL_IronG_Base'
BioDeathMICParent=MaterialInstanceConstant'CH_All.Materials.MI_CH_ALL_IronG_BioDeath'
MasterSkeleton=SkeletalMesh'CH_All.Mesh.SK_Master_Skeleton_Human_Male'
CharEditorIdleAnimName="CC_Human_Male_Idle"
Name="Default__UTFamilyInfo_IceWoman"
ObjectArchetype=UTFamilyInfo_Ironguard'UTGame.Default__UTFamilyInfo_Ironguard'
}

Thanks in advance anyone :ph34r:

My course was also called 'Games Design', but was primarily about modeling/textures/animation, both environments and characters. There was the odd Mickey Mouse module about writing design documents...a real low point. It has since changed, and the disciplines have been separated with more focused modules, but a lot of these courses up and down the country are still a bit of a joke as far as I can tell, with extremely vague and out of touch aims.

The thing is, they get *many* bums on seats. My course was by far the most in demand at the university, if not the most popular in the entire country 150+ students (no doubt a lot more these days). Yet still, it was mostly a joke and a rip off. There was an exam which asked you to identify Sonic the Hedgehog FFS! No one objects as, a. you have no idea who to turn to, b. you don't want to be identified as a trouble maker and c. apathy - you just get on with it. At the end of the day, you have a degree. Why complain if it's jokingly easy?

My course was also called 'Games Design', but was primarily about modeling/textures/animation, both environments and characters. There was the odd Mickey Mouse module about writing design documents...a real low point. It has since changed, and the disciplines have been separated with more focused modules, but a lot of these courses up and down the country are still a bit of a joke as far as I can tell, with extremely vague and out of touch aims.

The thing is, they get *many* bums on seats. My course was by far the most in demand at the university, if not the most popular in the entire country 150+ students (no doubt a lot more these days). Yet still, it was mostly a joke and a rip off. There was an exam which asked you to identify Sonic the Hedgehog FFS! No one objects as, a. you have no idea who to turn to, b. you don't want to be identified as a trouble maker and c. apathy - you just get on with it. At the end of the day, you have a degree. Why complain if it's jokingly easy?

Amazing, and they wonder why graduates don't have the skills to enter the industry. I guess the games industry is more forgiving than VFX.

Amazing, and they wonder why graduates don't have the skills to enter the industry. I guess the games industry is more forgiving than VFX.

My course seems to be 50/50 'Mickey Mouse' and actual modules. In other words in second year I had the choice between studying MMO games (you just had to turn up to pass) or modules on modelling for film, I always picked the hardest option as I thought it'd help me alot more than researching into WoW... Because of this my year is split between people who will actually be successful (the minority) and the people who you wonder what they will do when they leave. What's funny is that the people you ask this question about are the only people going on to do masters... I just hope I'm in the middle somewhere so I can actually do something in the industry.

The lecturers are actually useful though and give very good advice about getting into the industry, its just up to the people to follow it.

The most valuable thing I got from my games course wasn't the first honours degree that only 3 people on the entire 150 person course receieved ( a honour which my good friend number 28 also got!) but the network that I built up there. That's how I got my first job in the industry really. Not because I knew who Sonic the fucking Hedgehog was. Oh another gem in that questionaire was the question that asked what perspective GTA was. This was a few years after GTA3. Afterwards they realized that before GTA3 it was a top down game so either 3rd person perspective or Top down view was allowed.

:P

I'm sure it's a bit better now. Scary thing is that at the time I recall tutors saying how it 'used' to be really bad...

Oh and really, no game company cares about your piece of paper. Not one of the multiple companies I've been interviewed at have even mentioned it. Apart from the network aspect and the whole going to uni thing I do wonder if I'd do it again or just learn at home and save £10k+. Thing is though, is your parents wouldn't trust that you're working hard up there alone in your room...

If I had the option again, I wouldn't have went to uni as I don't feel it's been a worthwhile 4 years. I could have taught myself everything and be in amuch more advanced stage by now if I sat in my room for 4 years doing it. But that's just my course. I'm sure there are good courses that actually help you.

Just back from our Dare to be Digital interview. Feel like it went really well. Each of the judges said we presented it really well and had very little to say against our game. So I'm quite confident that we will get through now. 30 teams out of the over 100 got interviewed and 15 of them get through.

Just desperate to get in, would be amazing so really hoping we're good enough.

If I had the option again, I wouldn't have went to uni as I don't feel it's been a worthwhile 4 years. I could have taught myself everything and be in amuch more advanced stage by now if I sat in my room for 4 years doing it. But that's just my course. I'm sure there are good courses that actually help you.

Honest and yet I've heard this too often for my liking. Unless you want to be a technical artist (or similar), these courses are almost entirely irrelevant. The amount of people I've met who leave with degrees and but display work of characters or creatures and then say "well I've got a degree" to somehow backup their hideous work is embarrassing.

Yeah it's a pity as 4 years out of your life is a long time to waste without getting the necessary skills. Doesn't help that only 2 of those years taught 3D work in and amongst other subjects that I'm not interested in. So had I focussed entirely on 3D for 4 years, god knows where I'd be now.

Anyway, 9 days until my final hand in date and there is still so so much to do! One module is done and getting handed in tomorrow so that's out the way at least but two more to finish up after that including a couple of 2000 word reports. :)

Still haven't heard back about Dare, getting really nervous now, every day we are all checking emails constantly, jumping every time the phone goes, etc.

Another work in progress shot from last week of my Italia project:

167qu.jpg

Game design includes character art now?

Mine was similar to the other lads Supes, my course title is 'Games Design' at Teesside University, same as Utero, but my course included:

Character Modelling

Environment Modelling

Texturing

Game Theory

Level Design

Game History

Game Futures

Project Management

The 'Games Art' and 'Games Design' at Teesside are essentially the same - but Design gives more choice on modules (essentially picking from the pool that Art has) and Art has drawing stuff as core modules.

It's changed since I first started and I've literally just finished.

Got a chance of working at Ubisoft Reflections today! I may or may not win the chance of an internship!

Cinema 4D is superb. They are sending out demo DVD's with tutorials if you give them a mail.

It's a great 3D programme for motion graphics and integrates superbly with After Effects; exporting the 3D camera etc.

Also posted this here.

I'm teaching myself a bit of C++ at the moment in my spare time, with a view to maybe nocking out a couple of little games. The problem is that I'm not particularly artistically talented and I'm having trouble creating graphics which aren't fucking terrible looking.

I've been working with sprites so far, using a C++ games programming tutorial which involves making a pushy style game with 50x50 pixel tiles. I'm absolutely terrible with perspective and lighting/shading so everything looks like a massive heap of shit at the moment.

It's also proving to be pretty difficult to convert any other type of image into a usable sprite without it becoming a garbled mess. I'm not particulrly interested in learning to draw sprites and do pixel art and I assume that those skills are all but redundant anyway in the majority of development environments.

I've seen a few things on XBLA which are impressive games, despite being visually pretty uninspired. Forklift Frenzy isn't exactly beautiful bit it's nice and functional and looks like something you could do with sketchup or something. I assume that doing this would also remove the need for me to be able to draw shadows, highlights and perspective.

However there was also a game called fish listening to radio, or somthing, which was 2d and used hand drawings. That style really appeals to me, and I'm assuming that it's easy to do things like that now that there aren't the same restraints on system resources as there used to be when pixel art was a necessity.

I guess my question is, for someone hoping to make small games, primarily as a hobby for the time being, what would be the easiest, most versatile and most practical graphical approach? I'm very keen to make the entire thing myself so I need to learn something, but whilst the coding is sticking in my brain better than I thought it might my failure in artistic terms is something of an inconvenience.

Any advice would be much appreciated ^_^

This might be more of an ATF question, depending on the answer, but I want to be able to create a video of some of my 3D animations in the before and after stages. Is there a way to render out the 3D model in its wireframe (or flat shaded) form, without actually, er, rendering it? I've tried using some screen recording software to record the animation directly from Max, but it comes out quite jerky. Is there an alternative?

Heya.

After not touching 3D for about 4 years since uni, i had a little play with XSI again yesterday. I ended up making the following, please note that the crazy (shit looking) feathers, are just concept at this stage.

I was never shown how to unwrap a model for texturing, so this is the next stage. i'll keep you lot posted.

any suggestions on what i have so far?

rev_r08.jpg

This might be more of an ATF question, depending on the answer, but I want to be able to create a video of some of my 3D animations in the before and after stages. Is there a way to render out the 3D model in its wireframe (or flat shaded) form, without actually, er, rendering it? I've tried using some screen recording software to record the animation directly from Max, but it comes out quite jerky. Is there an alternative?

Go to Animation > Make Preview. Simple as that really.