rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
suzakuseven

The 3D Thread

I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated 3D modelling thread (having just started modelling again after many months of laziness) where everyone can post up finished pieces and works in progress, as well as ask for/share advice.

This is a scene I'm working on for my final year uni project, simply a sci-fi looking street, sort of neo-Tokyo themed. It's still in progress and crits are always welcome :huh:

scene073zw.jpg

Crates and barrels! :)

scene093gu.jpg

Using 3DS Max for this, not too sure of the poly count, should probably check it sometime!

• Upvote 1

Images from my Photorealistic Computer Animation uni module. Basically a high res model of my Creative Zen Touch MP3 player. I have textured versions aswell but they still need work. (Point of not much interest, it's all one mesh, with no errors on an STL check - made using 3ds max)

halfwire1.jpg

halfwire2.jpg

Nice work Fozz.

Just in general, whats the best way to learn realistic modeling? pick an object and work off that? any good books to recomend (3DS based).

Yeah, best to have the actual object on hand, and to have as many good quality images from the net for front and side views that can be used as reference in the 3d modelling program (ie viewport background)

I made a photorealistic nokia phone and put it in a live shot scene,turned out really well

Whatever you're doing it's at least better to always have sketches around, as otherwise you start deviating to whatever program it is you're using wants you to be making instead of what used to be in your head.

There's the other thing that it only takes 2 minutes to resketch something, whereas fundamental changes to a fully rigged mesh can be a pain in the balls.

I find if I can see the object in 3d (holding it) then it's alot easier to model it especially if you know the techniques.

Many rifles lying round the house lad?

I used to do quite a bit of 3D modelling, but I can't afford the full version of 3ds. I still use SolidWorks for my AS Tech but its just not the same thing.

In all seriousness I just use Blender and Wings. Not really wanted for anything else except in the rendering department.

Wings is truly brilliant.

The big thing is just why are free 3D tools so much more evolved than free 2D vector tools? Doesn't quite make sense to me, but hey.

I'm really unsure as to whether to actually texture this. I mean, I will eventually for the portfolio but this project is due in next monday and, well, I still have some modelling left to do. If anyone knows a way I can texture this damn thing in, say, a couple of hours I'd be very grateful! (as I have to write a 10,000 word report to go with this as well)

I'd stop the modelling now and start the report

60/40 in the way of the report :lol:, the portfolio can wait

I'm just finishing up modelling my project and arranging all the pieces into one file

the quality of the texturing deeply effects my chances in getting in with codemasters :lol: