IGNORED

eBay thread!

El Pibe

I know people will say 'Oh no, not another ebay thread!'

But I reckon we need to have a thread for ebay madness. When it comes to games...ebay can be funny, it can be interesting and it can be mental!

Just been looking around at the prices of some things...we're hoping to move house sometime and I'm loathe to take to drag all my stuff to the new place and so this could be a good excuse to be tough on my collection and continue the clearout I started before Christmas.

Been looking around at NES games as I might get rid of a lot of them due to lack of play...

Mega Man NES

Blimey! An expensive way to build your 'dreadful cover art' collection!

Ebay is a funny place. I see that Metroid on the NES is down to around a tenner now, complete. I remember when one went for £83...OMG.

It's so up and down. I wonder if the price drop was due to the GBA re-release?

Do many of you buy things from eBay or do you stick to booters and secondhand shops?

I reckon there are bargains to be had but it requires the dedication to hunt for them.

I noticed that there are quite a few people who make a living buying from and then selling on ebay. I sold loads of stuff last Christmas and I started most auctions at £2.99. I was bombarded with e-mails from these people and they mostly said the same thing 'Hello, it is my daughter/sons/husbands birthday and I really want to get him this game. Will you end the auction now for £5' on things that generally go for a lot more than that. I always said 'no, thanks' but I had a look at their bidding and they seem to to succeed quite often.

Saw a Salamander board and an R-Type board both go for about £50 each over the weekend. I didn't even bother bidding on either since they always go for at least double that and often much more (Salamander especially), how daft do I feel now! :)

Just last week a Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike CPS3 kit went for a shade over $1000! Just for the basic used unit as well, no artwork or anything special to justify the price. Annoyingly it's the only source of pricing for a lot of these games, so you often get chancers putting similar items up after a big sale with a BIN price on the high side to try and scoop up any excess demand. I really hate that aspect of Ebay, the amount of bitches who're out to wring every last penny of profit out of people. :huh:

But if somone is that "desperate", then they will pay it. Their loss/gain

While the more educated person has trading folders on forums (here/ntsc-uk), sometimes there simply isn't anywhere else to get certain things. Not everyone has a half decent retro/import indie or pcb dealer for example. For me personally, ebay sellers are the only way to obtain earlier Final Fantasy goodies.

Not forgetting ebay can be a stupidly good bargin. I've bought games from ebay that are in a better condition for much less money then forum sales are. Sealed japanese saturn games for £2 for example.

i think there are no universal truths about ebay gameswise - especially retro. Some things can be inflated on a constant basis (*cough* radiant silvergun *cough*), while others can jump up and down constantly, while others go for peanuts.

I've seen people keep bidding on a average condition game, and ignore the better copy which is currently at less and ends sooner!

Call me weak-willed, but if an item has more than 4 or 5 bids with less than 2 days to go I just won't touch it. Getting a bit tired of snipers and the like now. A bad loser might say this, but eBay isn't what it used to be.

Call me weak-willed, but if an item has more than 4 or 5 bids with less than 2 days to go I just won't touch it. Getting a bit tired of snipers and the like now. A bad loser might say this, but eBay isn't what it used to be.

I can never understand the problem with snipers. Yet its a annoying if they beat you, but theres nothing stopping you from doing the same. If Im buying retro gear on Ebay I dont want to be paying over the odds and so will never put down my maximum bid of what I want to pay until the last few minutes. This way you prevent a bidding war and the temptation to bid just that little bit more (which usually happens if you get a bit of ebay fever).

I got into a bidding war once for, of all the bloody things, a radio controlled Mario Kart. I got so focused on out-bidding this guy that I ended up paying far too much for it :D

Never again. These days I just stick in my highest bid when there's a few mins to go and see what happens.

Why do you wait until a few minutes to go? If you put your highest bid in a few days before then surely you'd get the same result?

Several reasons, here are two:

1.) If you put your highest bid in early then the seller can use another account to push you up and scout out your max price (retracting if he outbids you), then use another account to make sure you pay full whack.

2.) Most people don't follow the "this is the highest I'm willing to pay for this item" thinking strictly, they just bid as they go, and react to other people's bids. You lay down your max bid as late as possible and you beat them.

Why do you wait until a few minutes to go? If you put your highest bid in a few days before then surely you'd get the same result?

Just figure it gives people less time to think about it or talk themselves into outbidding me.

If I stick a bit in for £20 with 5 days to go, they might well convince themselves to keep bidding higher and higher during those five days.

Also, as Jim says, thee are naughty sellers out there. I've put early bids in a few times and have ALWAYS ended up paying the maximum...could just be the luck of the draw, but probably isn't.

Just figure it gives people less time to think about it or talk themselves into outbidding me.

If I stick a bit in for £20 with 5 days to go, they might well convince themselves to keep bidding higher and higher during those five days.

Precisely.

It does piss me off why can't people just use it properly. Why don't they implement a system where if someone bids within the last 10 minutes of the auction then the previous highest bidder has a chance to bid again within a certain time limit.

But if they bid over £20 then they've bid higher than you're prepared to pay anyway?

It does piss me off why can't people just use it properly. Why don't they implement a system where if someone bids within the last 10 minutes of the auction then the previous highest bidder has a chance to bid again within a certain time limit.

But if they bid over £20 then they've bid higher than you're prepared to pay anyway?

What I mean is that someone might come along and think 'Right, I'd pay £14 for that!' Then they'd bid and would be outbid because my maximum was £20. However, over the next few days they re-think and decide to go up to £16...then a day later £18 and, maybe eventually, £21.

If I put my bid in later they would have less time to talk themselves into upping their bid above what they really want to pay. I've sometimes bid more than I wanted because of the 'heat of battle', so to speak.

Don't think I'm explaining myself too well! I guess what I am saying is that the later you leave it, the less chance there is of getting into a bidding war with another person.

Yeah I understand your reasoning. My point is just that you set the limit on the MAXIMUM that you want to spend I never get involved in bidding wars. I just say first of all I want to spend £x and if someone wants it more then they can bid higher.

EDIT: Tbh this argument doesn't really apply to the context of this thread. When you're dealing with rare items where the value is less clear cut then I can see what you are saying.

Yep, but it can be better to set that maximum and then come in later with it. That way you could get it for less and give people less time to counter your bid.

It is a funny old place. When I had my clear-out lots of my stuff hardly moved for the first 6 days, 24 hours and 50 minutes followed by a mental flurry at the end! I went for being disappointed to being absolutely amazed with a few things.

Auctionsniper FTW !

Enter your maximum bid in there, and it'll place it seconds before the auction ends, and skips you "Proxy" bid getting pushed up by other bidders.

Its a cheap trick yes, but its so annoying losing something in the last 10 seconds by 1p ;)

Anyone else think that auction bidding looks iffy ?...New user only bid on one item before, a coulpe of mugs. Probably is legit but looks strange.

Ebay is a funny place. I sell a lot on there, stuff I buy cheap in places like this

http://www.tokyopia.com/tk/archives/000378.php

You can pick up retro games still sealed items for about £2 each. Had a few email conversations with bidders on when stuff goes for silly prices (£20 for a non-descript PC engine Game) on why they bid.Always the same response, I can't buy it online and will never visit Japan. If my real job did'nt pay as much I would probably do it for a living. Nothing like digging around in a bargain bucket and pulling out a sealed copy of a game from 1983.

That one is lovely. I'm a bit of a GameCube addict and have the Resident Evil Cube, an indigo Cube, The Mario Strikers Pearl Cube, and the Donkey Konga black cube.

I wasn't going to buy any more, as it's silly, but that one is lush.

I guess what I am saying is that the later you leave it, the less chance there is of getting into a bidding war with another person.

That's my logic too, works well enough for me. Only trouble is I'm constantly having to set alarms on my phone for when auctions finish and you quite often end up forgetting about them, then getting pissed off when you see someone else got something for a ridiculously low price.

I can't say I buy much on there most compared to what I used to, half the time it seems cheaper to get stuff elsewhere now.

That's my logic too, works well enough for me. Only trouble is I'm constantly having to set alarms on my phone for when auctions finish and you quite often end up forgetting about them, then getting pissed off when you see someone else got something for a ridiculously low price.

I can't say I buy much on there most compared to what I used to, half the time it seems cheaper to get stuff elsewhere now.

Usually I just stick my highest on and forget about it - that's for bargains and stuff.

If I want to win something I'll bid less than my highest, a pretty nominal amount usually, just so I've got something on there. Then you get email reminders and if it ends up with some nigerian scam being the winner I'm there for them to contact me.

That one is lovely. I'm a bit of a GameCube addict and have the Resident Evil Cube, an indigo Cube, The Mario Strikers Pearl Cube, and the Donkey Konga black cube.

I wasn't going to buy any more, as it's silly, but that one is lush.

Oh so that's who has been hoovering up all the 'Cubes. I just want the one to play stuff on.

I don't know if it's me, but eBay has a nasty habit of sending me email notifications of nearly-ended items about 2 days after the damn auction finishes. You can't rely on that.