rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Melon_Bread

Tilt Shift Photography...

Wow. Those are absolutely incredible. I genuinely thought some of those were models. :)

Incidentally, this thread has just reminded me of something that came into my head that puzzled me years and years ago; is this the same sort of technique TV cameramen or editors or whatever use, when they make the screen zoom up on the actors face, but the background gets further away? I know fuck all about photography, so that could the stoopidest question I've ever asked...

Wow. Those are absolutely incredible. I genuinely thought some of those were models. :)

Incidentally, this thread has just reminded me of something that came into my head that puzzled me years and years ago; is this the same sort of technique TV cameramen or editors or whatever use, when they make the screen zoom up on the actors face, but the background gets further away? I know fuck all about photography, so that could the stoopidest question I've ever asked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

First effort (and first creative forum thing ever :(), Photoshop 6 and a photo nicked off FlickR ;):

fair_TS_medium.jpg

Reckon the original needs cropping, and some of the blurring starts a bit too suddenly?

hotel_window_view.jpg

Japan is so tidy anyway it's dead easy to make it look like a model!

That viaduct one is ace though.

And to think, that guy probably payed thousands for his precious tilt lense.

And having looked at his photos again I must say a lot of the Photoshop jobs in here achieve the effect far better.

Tip for those without CS2, use gaussian blur, but use a small amount and apply it several times.

Yeah, that's what I was doing (and making the area blurred smaller each time, ie applying it first to the bottom third, then the bottom quarter, then the bottom fifth sort of thing to get a gradual increas in the blurring as it moves away fromt he sharp zone).

Yeah, that's what I was doing (and making the area blurred smaller each time, ie applying it first to the bottom third, then the bottom quarter, then the bottom fifth sort of thing to get a gradual increas in the blurring as it moves away fromt he sharp zone).

Thats quite a long winded way of doing it, but gives you lots more control. While you are in quickmask mode you can actually do some cool effects by retouching the masked area, such as masking out the tops of high buildings so only the scenery behind is blurred.

Heres another from my trip to Canada

model27cr.jpg

Imagine how long this would of taken if it were a model!