Sign in to follow this  
Melon_Bread

Tilt Shift Photography...

Looking at all the pics it seems to be the picture which affects it most. For example, close ups on humans dont work too well because you can see their details which spoils it. It seems far away pulled back shots work better than close up ones, although some like the ducks work brilliantly.

Doh, I have only Photoshop 5, which doesn't have the blur lens option. How can I recreate the effect with the other blur tools?

I can do it in PS 5.5 by selecting the area to remain sharp. Feather the selection by, say, 30 pixels (depends on the size of your original image). Invert the selection. Blur the new selected area (gaussian blur works well).

This was done in 5.5 using the method above:

pl.jpg

I can do it in PS 5.5 by selecting the area to remain sharp. Feather the selection by, say, 30 pixels (depends on the size of your original image). Invert the selection. Blur the new selected area (gaussian blur works well).

This is what I'm doing with Photoshop 7 as well - Gaussian blur is definitely the one to use.

Cheers folks. I had fun mucking around with the blur effects on some holiday photos of mine. As you can see below the effect definitely varies depending on what is in the photo and how much of the surroundings you blur out. It also doesn't work on blurry photos at all, you need the sharpness to make it look real like a model. The snow one may not look like a model really but I love the effect the blurring has had on it.

model%20rocks.jpg

model%20truck.jpg

model%20log.jpg

model%20snow.jpg

model%20beach.jpg

model%20bridge.jpg

model%20town.jpg

I think the town's the one that worked best because it's just buildings at a distance and the original photo was nice and bright and sharp.

Those bittergirl ones linked on the first page are incredible, they really look like train sets!

model%20bridge.jpg

This one is great - the shadows make it seem as if the "model" is lit by a spotlight and the water is calm enough to look like resin. Good stuff :)

Is there any way in Photoshop (7) to gradient a blur, increasing the amount of blur as it goes in a particular direction?

If you feather your selection, the blur reduces in intensity towards the edges. See my other post earlier in the thread.

If you feather your selection, the blur reduces in intensity towards the edges.

Ah, that's it! Cheers - I didn't know what feathering meant and I was looking for that easy transition on the blur edge.

Tidied mine up a bit as a result:

boats3.jpg

Looks like Fishy Fish is a master! That tanks one and garden one are brilliant, really look fake!

Thanks! I think some of the others on here are better than mine though - Chris303 and BigShimmeryWall's efforts are fantastic.

Here's another of my attempts.

excavator.jpg

Yeah, I can't do it.

sa4001281qs.jpg

So I've started using pictures other than my own (sorry, but most of mine are close ups of friends!) and i've worked out how to 'feather' the blur area.

So I give you:

yay9et.jpg

I'm really proud of this one!

Though I know I can do better now!

Thanks. It just screams 'model tanks', doesn't it?

Yeah, at first glance I thought you were taking the piss with a photo of some actual models! :)

111467300_405daa7515.jpg