IGNORED

Driver Parallel Lines

sweet_angel

I remember doing it with the trail effects GTA, same deal here really, no biggie. The crash effects are a quite jarring white flash when you hit anything, the kind of thing that looks good in the trailers but becomes unbearable after a minute with the actual game. I always play driving games using the in-car view and stuck with that when I found the option, it does feel a bit sluggish in third person though. Worth noting if you prefer the third person view.

Yeah I turned the trail effects off in GTA. I don't even know if they improved peformance or not, they just looked shit.

The first thing I did was to go and turn off the crash effect, it's awful and puts it into a crap slow motion style thing. It's much better in real time watching your car spin out and fall apart. I rather like the blur or speed effect. Whichever one that blurs trees and buildings to the side when you hit some speed. I was surprised when it changed to night time before. A nice gradual transfer.

Also I forgot to mention the way you lose health when you get in a crash. I bet some people are really going to hate it but I love the fact it makes you drive carefully. I'm surprised that I'm looking forward to it now, before the demo I'd competely written it off.

Also I forgot to mention the way you lose health when you get in a crash. I bet some people are really going to hate it but I love the fact it makes you drive carefully. I'm surprised that I'm looking forward to it now, before the demo I'd competely written it off.

Yeah it's a good touch, it adds some tension and like you say makes you take more care over your driving instead of just ramming into everything. Driving against oncoming traffic feels more purposeful and less like Destruction Derby, I found myself actually following the flow of the traffic rather than ignoring it and hoping for the best.

Has anyone played a demo or seen it at all (first hand experience), I'm thinking of pre-ordering but can't find any concrete reports on it!

Why don't people use the search function. There's a whole bunch of threads on this already. :ph34r:

Anyway, for the sake of sweet_angel, I'll post this again:

Preview

Seriously. The search function, people... :P

Why don't people use the search function. There's a whole bunch of threads on this already. :ph34r:

Anyway, for the sake of sweet_angel, I'll post this again:

Preview

Seriously. The search function, people... :P

The other big thread is an embarrassing car crash though, let's keep impressions in here and bitching about Atari/Reflections in the other one. I just can't handle wading through all that shit to see what people think of the actual game.

The other big thread is an embarrassing car crash though, let's keep impressions in here and bitching about Atari/Reflections in the other one. I just can't handle wading through all that shit to see what people think of the actual game.

Ah, s'fair enough I suppose :D

Expecting review code within the next week or so. I'll be sure to swing by and post impressions here :lol:

I'll give it a play tonight and post some impressions. I must admit though that after playing the Xbox demo, I was pretty impressed. The car handling is nice and robust, it looks pretty good (apart from some pop up), when you get out of the car he actually handles fairly well...

I'm holding out hope for the main game.

anyone played this yet?

any good?

I'm about six or seven hours in and enjoying it to an extent, but the sheer size and scale of the map is denting my enthusiasm. I loved the demo because the map was small, after a few hours I got to know every road, sidestreet and jump intimately, this led to some terrific car chases because I'd memorised the layout and was able to drive around with confidence and really throw my car into corners and just enjoy driving. I liked the focus of that, it suited the style of play and allowed me to take more risks. Being faced with the entire map of NY is just daunting, I know that I'll never see some of these streets more than once, so every car chase is approached with caution and I find myself driving around almost nervously. It loses the sense of excitement for me, I think I'd much rather see Driver: Manhattan than this sprawling epic map, in the context of the actual driving mechanics it doesn't seem to make much sense to be faced with such scale.

The other problem is the lack of side missions and potential for just dicking around as you would in GTA, the streets are lively and heavily populated but you don't really feel compelled to explore. You won't be killing hours by causing pile-ups and creating your own little scenarios in your favourite locations, it feels limited and somehow lacking that vital fun element when you divert your attention from the main objectives. The missions are decent enough and the driving itself has a great feel, but it's too diluted and sprawling. It's like a sandbox game with the sandbox elements removed I suppose.

Good but far from being great.

played the first mission, couple of cut scenes, good music, as soon as I got control of the game the driver spawned outside the car and died, not impressed

(and no, I didn't press y, I didn't press anything)

still, once it had restarted it seems okay, pretty ugly, but the handling is nice. The flash effect thing when you crash is a bit shit.

hopefully play it properly over the weekend.

Good soundtrack, though.

The songs are well chosen but there's nowhere near enough of them, I got bored of them looping after a couple of hours and muted the music.

There are quite a few side mission and they are all shown on the pause map for easy access. As for the oversized map well you can always teleport between grages although it still never seems to get you exactly where you want to be.

Yeah I realise this, the side missions are largely tedious though and not diverting enough to make them worth tracking down. The cops are too twitchy when you run a red light or break a speed limit, I got annoyed with rasing my "heat" level by just driving to the next taxi mission or whatever. Too much effort and not enough reward or fun.

Saw a demo of it running the other day. It looked pretty poor to be honest. Still, I recently picked up Driver for the PSone again, and whilst that looks pretty shoddy today, it still plays well.

Based on reviews and forum opinion, I think I'll be holding out for a budget/second hand release.

I played the demo. I thought it looked pretty good. Xbox version. ;)

Robo, you should play 24. I reckon you'd quite enjoy that.

I fancied the look of it, but never having seen 24, I was worried none of it would make much sense. I enjoyed Studio Cambridge's previous output (Primal & Ghosthunter) so I'm more than prepared to give this the benefit of the doubt.

Shush. 24's perfectly adequate, thankyouverymuch.

The story is. And the game is, if you're really, REALLY not picky.

Tbh though, it plays like a sub-standard Syphon Filter wannabe. And that's a game that released in, what, 1998?

...IMO anyway. Feel like I have to say that last bit these days. ;)

Don't be dissin' Syphon Filter, yo.

I'm not. I quite liked SF back in the day. Heck, I even got the original as part of a PSone BOGOFF offer recently.

Still, given the number of years difference you'd expect 24 to be better than Syphon Filter. It's unfortunately telling that Gabe Logan's original outing actually trumps Jack Bauers in terms of playability.

I fancied the look of it, but never having seen 24, I was worried none of it would make much sense. I enjoyed Studio Cambridge's previous output (Primal & Ghosthunter) so I'm more than prepared to give this the benefit of the doubt.

I love Studio Cambridge stuff, even though it gets ripped apart in magazines. 24, however, really is very poor.

Gotta love how they put the PAL version onto two discs, though. I'm guessing it's so they could keep 60hz in there. ;)