IGNORED

Desperate Housewives.

Venice Cull

...I'd argue that it's 'The Sun' of American Sitcoms (or 'Fox News') - in the way it tries to subtly push right wing ideology onto viewers under the guise of entertainment.

No?

• Week after week we are shown the consequences of a 'stay at home mum' going back to work, and the trouble it's causing the family (one child has a breakdown and both of them willingly jump into a car with a stranger).

• A poor drug addict sells her baby boy for a fix (as they do), and then is killed by the woman she sold it to (the shows narrator) when she comes back for him - but that's ok, we are supposed to understand and forgive this - she was wealthy and the women was a poor (but reformed) drug addict.

• The show's minorities consist entirely of a sex-mad gold digging Latino (how original!) who is currently being 'looked after' by a tattoo'd ex-con Hispanic. One member of the black family who recently moved into the neighbourhood is a metally retarded killer. Hey - someone needs to spoil this white suburban, American dream ideal - where everybody has buckets of money dispite not having any apparent source of income.

• The only gay in the show (Bree's son) is some kind of dangerous mentalist who has had to be sent away, and who has vowed to make his mothers life a living hell.

Here's a prediction - at the moment the other black guy is dating a young white girl (portrayed as some kind of slut) and I'm fairly confident that this ungodly act will not go unpunished by the show's writers. We shall see.

... or maybe I'm being overly analytical? Once you notice something it's very easy to start reading stuff into things that seems to support a suspicion. Anyone else picked up a touch of the 'right' from this show?

Still, it's watchable enough - despite that terrible plinky-plonky comedy music that plays throughout.

Still, it's watchable enough - despite that terrible plinky-plonky comedy music that plays throughout.

I've never seen Desperate Housewives, but is it that same plinky-plonky comedy music that plagues every 'romcom' ever? I can't stand that shit :ph34r:

• A poor drug addict sells her baby boy for a fix (as they do), and then is killed by the woman she sold it to (the shows narrator) when she comes back for him - but that's ok, we are supposed to understand and forgive this - she was wealthy and the women was a poor (but reformed) drug addict.

I don't think we are, you know.

...I'd argue that it's 'The Sun' of American Sitcoms (or 'Fox News') - in the way it tries to subtly push right wing ideology onto viewers under the guise of entertainment.

No?

• Week after week we are shown the consequences of a 'stay at home mum' going back to work, and the trouble it's causing the family (one child has a breakdown and both of them willingly jump into a car with a stranger).

• The show's minorities consist entirely of a sex-mad gold digging Latino (how original!) who is currently being 'looked after' by a tattoo'd ex-con Hispanic. One member of the black family who recently moved into the neighbourhood is a metally retarded killer. Hey - someone needs to spoil this white suburban, American dream ideal - where everybody has buckets of money dispite not having any apparent source of income.

• The only gay in the show (Bree's son) is some kind of dangerous mentalist who has had to be sent away, and who has vowed to make his mothers life a living hell.

Here's a prediction - at the moment the other black guy is dating a young white girl (portrayed as some kind of slut) and I'm fairly confident that this ungodly act will not go unpunished by the show's writers. We shall see.

... or maybe I'm being overly analytical? Once you notice something it's very easy to start reading stuff into things that seems to support a suspicion. Anyone else picked up a touch of the 'right' from this show?

I don't think the minority bias is as bad as you're making out - presumably the ethnic mix isn't far off that of the genuine affluent suburban idyls the series is poking fun at, and few if any of the white characters are without their faults. Whether the show "allows" a character to "win" overall is more to do with whether they're in the core 5 or 6 housewives.

The narrator got her comeuppance, didn't she? What she did has never been approved of.

The ex-stay-at-home mum's family doesn't seem to have become significantly less well off as a result of her decision - it's just the plot focus that has changed.

Most of the angle on the boy's problems concerned his mother's crazy OTT reaction to them, she was painted in a much worse light. He wasn't sent away for being gay, was he? Just happened to tell his Dad while he was there?

God, I hate that music, though...

The only gay in the show (Bree's son) is some kind of dangerous mentalist who has had to be sent away, and who has vowed to make his mothers life a living hell.

I don't watch the show, but I did read an interview with the guy who created it, and the Bree family ( I think - is she the crazy redhead?) is entirely based on his own family. His mum was a crazy obsessive loon who wouldn't take his dad to hospital when he was having a heart attack until she'd made the beds, and he was a crazy homosexual teen. He still is a crazy homosexual, from the way he talks about himself.

You are so spot on about both shows there. I remember the start of The OC feeling like something 'different' but how wrong was I with where it's gone.

Desperate Housewives is just shite though. It started ok but this supposed satire has very much run its course. Saying that though, I dont think it will be round for long, there was a massive drop from season 1 -> 2 out in the US in terms of viewers and I think people there are starting to realise that its just, well, shite.

Yeah, it was good for first 12 episodes then seemed to just become boring, the second series is not much better. The Burbs did the whole suburban hell thing about 20 years gao anyway.