The Formula 1 Thread

I can't take Brundle seriously when he's onscreen these days. DAT JEWELLERY! :lol:

But he's a great commentator. Anything would be an improvement over Legard - sometimes I pine for the halcyon days of James Allen. THAT'S how bad Legard is. Plus, I hate the way he attacks the word "Button".

Most of Middle Britain wouldn't be able to comprehend his slightly different accent.

Allen was the post race interviewer for a few races after the ITV switchover, what happened to that gig?

The official post-race press conference thing? He did the Monza one, or at least it certainly sounded like him. Like you say, it's not the first time he's done that this season, but more often its been David Croft. It might literally depend on whether Crofty has time to get there from the Five Live commentary box, which would depend on the geography of the paddock/pit/media centre at the circuit.

I thought it got a tiny bit out of hand or at least close to because he wouldn't shut the fuck up and let Eddy or Coulthard come back at him. Talked over them a couple of times. Seemed pretty unpolished. Was nice to hear about his time at Ferrari though. I think he'd end up talking over his co-commentator.

They are unlikely to go with two ex-drivers for the commentary, it's a question of balancing in-depth technical knowledge with someone who can describe what's happening for the less well-informed viewer... They should have more of the ex-drivers involved in the coverage though, both Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert have been brilliant in the past.

If Chandhok doesn't get a drive next year, what about him and Brundle? Or do you need a non racer to balance things out?

I'm not sure a non-racer would count, it seems to be 'Must be an annoying and massive penis to apply' judging by the last two appointed people.

Moving things on a bit...

I can't honestly see F1 going to Korea this season, looking at the video of Karun heading round it looks miles from ready.

Tis a shame really, the last little section onto the start/finish straight looked like it would be entertaining at full speed :)

The Melbourne GP is taking some flack with huge losses every year. Last year it lost £20 million. This year, after cost cutting, it lost £29.5 million. It's racked up over £120 million losses in its run at Albert Park, but the state government say they will still keep going until 2015.

A comment below the article which will never happen

it is time that Bernie got a percentage that was­ realistic for the current cost cutting theme. If the­ race loses money so does Bernie, that would make him do­ things differently, he would need to have spectactors­ there

I suppose the "Southern pit complex" is a bit too obvious.

What are the management thinking it should be, any pointers ?

We've received no word on what they're specifically looking for. The panel is likely to be people like Damon Hill et al, so I honestly don't know. I guess it should be prestigious in some way but I'm looking forward to some joke ones coming in!

I'd love if they took inspiration from Miller Motorsports Park, they have some fantastic names, would be great to see an F1 race there for the commentary. Not that I see such a thing ever happening at Silverstone.

The Climax Complex, obviously just a reference to the Coventry Climax engines and nothing else, no puns in that for the commentators. In all seriousness though I would like it to represent something of the great motor sport history we have and maybe one of those lesser known or forgotten aspects of it. I mean Coventry Climax are a company that made forklift trucks, then started to make racing engines that eventually went on to power Jim Clark to both his world championships, that's a great story.

call it

The Edgar Alan Pole Position Pit and Paddockulum

[edit]

Thank you for entering our competition to be in with a chance of naming the new Pit and Paddock Complex. Winners will be announced by the 30th October.

For more information on the new Pit and Paddock Complex and conferencing facility, visit www.silverstone.co.uk/development

Good luck!

eyebrows.gif

If the mods deem this spam then please remove but:

We're offering fans the chance to name the new Pit & Paddock complex at Silverstone. If successful you also win two tickets to the opening ceremony, F1 & MotoGP hospitality and a driving experience.

Silverstone Site

Again, if you think this is spam please delete.

Schumacher is a dirty cheating bastard complex?