rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick_L

The Formula 1 Thread

Apart from them NOT having the fastest cars for this circuit perhaps - something that was commented on numerous times during the race.

The Red Bull is the fastest car on a lap but doesn't have the highest top speed, thats what they meant.

Look at qualification, Hamilton did a Banzai lap on softer tyres and just edged the Red Bulls on the harder tyres !

Now to the snoozefest that is Valencia, on the 27th. Usually the worst race of the year. But this year it must be impossible to be worse than Bahrain.

Bernie went through a phase of wanting street circuits. Singapore is another one. He was also looking at London and other capitals. Maybe he thought that they would all be like Monaco.

Now with Korea, USA and Russia he is back to wanting dedicated race circuits.

Valencia is the "European" GP, the Spanish GP is in Barcelona. Spain gets two GPs because of the enormous commercial power of Alonso. Valencia is paid for by Telefonica, the Spanish equivalent of BT. Alonso's power is amazing, when he was at Renault and won two WDCs the sales of Renault cars shot up in Spain. Their increase in market share in this one market must have easily paid for the whole F1 team and a lot more besides.

When Schumacher had enormous commercial power there were two GPs in Germany. The German GP and the "European" GP.

The hottest thing in F1 politics right now is the tyres. Bridgestone are walking away from the sport. They have thrown a fortune at it and the teams iirc get their tyres for free. Now it looks like the teams will be paying for their tyres. Several companies want the contract including Cooper/Avon, Michelin and Pirelli. The team bosses thought it would be their choice of supplier. Then Todt told them that it wasn't, it was his choice. Meantime we all know that it is Bernie's choice.

One thing that is for sure and that is a move to much larger diameter wheels with low profile tyres. Like a Le Mans car and more in line with what the public actually use. This will have two main effects. Firstly with the current 13 inch wheels the big tyre sidewalls provide most of the suspension springing, with low profile tyres and small sidewalls this will not be so, so car suspension will need a major redesign with far more suspension movement. The second effect will be vastly bigger brakes, perhaps double or even more swept area. The current 13 inch brakes are marginal on several circuits, the new brakes will have a step change in power and thermal performance.

One thing that is for sure and that is a move to much larger diameter wheels with low profile tyres. Like a Le Mans car and more in line with what the public actually use. This will have two main effects. Firstly with the current 13 inch wheels the big tyre sidewalls provide most of the suspension springing, with low profile tyres and small sidewalls this will not be so, so car suspension will need a major redesign with far more suspension movement. The second effect will be vastly bigger brakes, perhaps double or even more swept area. The current 13 inch brakes are marginal on several circuits, the new brakes will have a step change in power and thermal performance.

When they talked to Ron Dennis after yesterday's race he said it had been agreed to keep the tyres the same dimensions.

Now to the snoozefest that is Valencia, on the....snip

Oi. Leave it.

That's Bob's job, and he does it a lot better.

Oi. Leave it.

That's Bob's job, and he does it a lot better.

I am not competing with Bob. He does a brilliant job.

However I can and will talk about upcoming races.

The top 5 seperated by 20 points, I can't remember it being this exciting.

Anyone know what the Championship'd look like if it was still using last season's points system? Out of interest.

Missed the race yesterday, sounds like I missed a good one :P

Anyone know what the Championship'd look like if it was still using last season's points system? Out of interest.

They discussed this on the forum. Much the same is the answer.

You can watch it on BBC iPlayer.

I am not competing with Bob. He does a brilliant job.

However I can and will talk about upcoming races.

Keep it up. It's nice having more than one viewpoint.

He was just trying to break the tow, but got his wing by mistake. :P

"Lewis Hamilton .... WINS!"

:facepalm: That's why we all hated James Allen, he was shit. Leg-end is probably worse though.

Allen is a very, very good F1 writer, he has great knowledge. He's never been a guy who can think on his feet, run a commentary, enliven a dull race in the way that Murray could (and for that matter imo David Croft, Ben Edwards and Martin Haven can). A decent proportion of the job is knowing the right questions to ask your "Martin" and more importantly to let him answer them, Legard does neither. The one time he asked Martin a decent question yesterday he didn't even pause for an answer but instead went off on some "ooh shiny!" overreaction to something on screen and never came back to it.

Croft especially is brilliant at getting the best out of your colour guy, which is why Ant seems so good or, if you watch the FIA GT, Alex Yoong.

Allen knows his stuff.

I'm not convinced Legard does, or at least he's THAT bad at communicating it that he might as well not.

By all (some) accounts Legard was good on the radio. I never listened to him but I can sort of imagine it as what he does is tell me what I am looking at. A tv commentator should add to the pictures not just repeat them!

Is it me or do they seem to absoultely minimise the amount of time Leg end spends covering a race?

He then tries to make up for this by talking all over Brundle at every opportunity.

By all (some) accounts Legard was good on the radio. I never listened to him but I can sort of imagine it as what he does is tell me what I am looking at. A tv commentator should add to the pictures not just repeat them!

Ledgard was just awful yesterday. He got it WRONG on so many occasions. And he missed loads of important stuff. It was the first time he has vaguely annoyed me. Croft and Brundle would be fantastic.

Allen used to wind me up big time as a commentator. But as a F1 writer he excels. He strips away the fluff around an issue - be it politics or tech issues and gives you what feels like the insiders insight into what's really going on. I can't rate him highly enough in this regard.

As far as Leg goes, I can see him getting the boot at the end of the year. He's had a fair crack, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out. Time to fix it.

Back to the racing, it will be interesting to see how RB react next time out. It would be very easy right now for them to panic. Their early superiority is gone and they didn't make anywhere near full use of it. They are in a real fight now, let's see how they react.

Legard should be sent back to do the Radio commentary and Croft should give the TV job a shot.

There was a part of the race where we were shown slow motion replays of Hamilton's and Button's rear tyres. Legard couldn't figure out that they were showing us the the difference in tyre condition between the two cars. He just said "and I wonder why we're seeing this, I can't see anything wrong there, just a pretty picture I think". Idiot.

Agreed that Legard should go back to radio. On more than one occasion he became too excited and I couldn't understand what he was talking about at all.

I also seem to remember him talking about Hamilton driving a milk float, might have misheard him though.

Agreed that Legard should go back to radio. On more than one occasion he became too excited and I couldn't understand what he was talking about at all.

I also seem to remember him talking about Hamilton driving a milk float, might have misheard him though.

He did indeed, but for me the most :facepalm: of all for him was saying both the Virgin Racing cars are set to finish as the camera cuts to Glock retiring.

Legard also totally missing Button passing Alonso (shown on screen) to then BELLOW 3 mins later BUTTON HAS PASSED ALONSO WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN....

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

He did indeed, but for me the most :facepalm: of all for him was saying both the Virgin Racing cars are set to finish as the camera cuts to Glock retiring.

Legard also totally missing Button passing Alonso (shown on screen) to then BELLOW 3 mins later BUTTON HAS PASSED ALONSO WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN....

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah, that made me laugh. But to be fair, Brundle missed it too at first. It happened while the camera was looking down from a helicopter.

Allen used to wind me up big time as a commentator. But as a F1 writer he excels. He strips away the fluff around an issue - be it politics or tech issues and gives you what feels like the insiders insight into what's really going on. I can't rate him highly enough in this regard.

Mark Hughes is excellent on ITV F1 too, I always remember this article about why Hamilton is good in the wet. He also writes for Autosport magazine.

Mark Hughes is excellent on ITV F1 too, I always remember this article about why Hamilton is good in the wet. He also writes for Autosport magazine.

He's with the BBC now - he's in the commentary box, supposedly watching the screens and advising Legard and Brundle on incidents they may have missed or interesting aspects of the race they may wish to focus on. Obviously, he has his work cut out there.

He also writes on the BBC website and of course Autosport. He most definitely knows his shit.

Hello chaps, just got back. Been catching up and down loading my pictures from Le Mans.

You think Canada was good. that was nothing to Le Mans, The sure fire bet your mortgage on Peugeot win failed miserably and Audi swept the podium. Rock and rool all round.

Now i really doo need to get some sleep :lol:

Hello chaps, just got back. Been catching up and down loading my pictures from Le Mans.

You think Canada was good. that was nothing to Le Mans, The sure fire bet your mortgage on Peugeot win failed miserably and Audi swept the podium. Rock and rool all round.

Now i really doo need to get some sleep :(

It is a shame the Peugeot didn't manage to hold out, would have kept the final few hours really tense. Still, it was a really good year, lucky with the weather as it was dryer than forecast. The British national anthem was sung louder than the french one for the first time ever :wub:.

Gendarmes were out in full stealth mode on the way back though :lol: .

I'd pulled the number 8 Audi for 3rd spot in the coach sweep stake, Imagine my horror as first the number 1 Peugeot then the Oreca Peugeot exploded in a shower of hot metal engine parts. :lol:

As you say, it did make the last few hours a bit of an anti climax, especially after Davidson had taken out the leading GT2 Vett. But who cares, there was beer, cars, nice weather and naqked dutch man to keep everyone entertained.

On the way back some bloke had been pulled by the cops and had to sit in the back of his mates car. This ment they had to dump 3 cases of beer, one of which he handed to our coach for free. happy days :wub:

Legard should be sent back to do the Radio commentary and Croft should give the TV job a shot.

There was a part of the race where we were shown slow motion replays of Hamilton's and Button's rear tyres. Legard couldn't figure out that they were showing us the the difference in tyre condition between the two cars. He just said "and I wonder why we're seeing this, I can't see anything wrong there, just a pretty picture I think". Idiot.

To be fair, as I said at the time, they have a much, much worse picture than us.

I'd pulled the number 8 Audi for 3rd spot in the coach sweep stake, Imagine my horror as first the number 1 Peugeot then the Oreca Peugeot exploded in a shower of hot metal engine parts. <_<

As you say, it did make the last few hours a bit of an anti climax, especially after Davidson had taken out the leading GT2 Vett. But who cares, there was beer, cars, nice weather and naqked dutch man to keep everyone entertained.

On the way back some bloke had been pulled by the cops and had to sit in the back of his mates car. This ment they had to dump 3 cases of beer, one of which he handed to our coach for free. happy days :P

I was glued to it all weekend, incredible race.