rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick_L

The Formula 1 Thread

I'm not quite sure about the apology, it would have been nice if he'd taken some responsibility himself instead of just coming back to it all being rushed and Dave Ryan misleading him, as ultimately he chooses what he says. I don't think as a person he is a liar though, it's just the circumstances that arose led to it. I do think it shows one of his weaknesses and at least one of the reasons I've never been a fan, it's easy to confuse him for another PR guy, he seems to just blindly follow what he's told, swap the drivers and I'm pretty confident Trulli would have stood up for himself and said not a chance, I'm telling the truth and that's it.

Yep, but Trulli is a lot more experienced. Hamilton has been moulded in this machine for a long time and probably needs to grow a bit before his own personality starts to show through.

Does the BBC site carry the practice times for the Friday session? I can't seem to find them.

Does the BBC site carry the practice times for the Friday session? I can't seem to find them.

The FIA haven't decided what they are yet.

Ferraris lighting up the practise times. RED MACHINE! :ph34r:

Enjoy it while you can, before the Brawn hammerblow tomorrow. 1.2 sec a lap ain't being fully pulled back any time soon.

:)

If i were to speculate on the performance pecking order id say it's

Brawn

Red Bull

Williams

BMW

Ferrari

Renault / Mclaren

I can see the fight between RB, Williams, BMW and Ferrari being VERY tight. Wouldn't want to call it, but if i were to bet on any of them, it would be Vettel in the Red Bull.

If i were to speculate on the performance pecking order id say it's

Brawn

Red Bull

Williams

BMW

Toyota

Ferrari

Renault / Mclaren

I can see the fight between RB, Williams, BMW and Ferrari being VERY tight. Wouldn't want to call it, but if i were to bet on any of them, it would be Vettel in the Red Bull.

You so forgot one :) Don't underestimate the biggest car brand in the world!

Yep, but Trulli is a lot more experienced. Hamilton has been moulded in this machine for a long time and probably needs to grow a bit before his own personality starts to show through.

Yeah, I accept Trulli is more experienced and Hamilton has probably grown up in quite a strange environment, but I think there's only so long you can keep falling back on that and his age, plus age really isn't an excuse for lying. Maybe this will be the turning point and we'll see a different Hamilton coming out of this weekend. Just blindly following what they say has got him into serious trouble and damaged his reputation, he's no longer the golden boy of the British press, as was to be expected at some point from them they've turned on him and quite savagely and I doubt it will be easy to turn it around as Button is now there ready to take his place. So maybe now is the time to start being himself and take charge.

You so forgot one :) Don't underestimate the biggest car brand in the world!

WHOOPSEEE!

I'd put em just in front of BMW, but behind Red Bull and Williams.

Enjoy it while you can, before the Brawn hammerblow tomorrow. 1.2 sec a lap ain't being fully pulled back any time soon.

I wouldn't be suprised if all their early work is for nothing gievn the way the season is going.

I reckon the Ferraris will be up there this weekend. We'll need to wait and see.

Sorry fella I didn't read that properly, I assumed you wanted the broadcast times but re-reading it's fairly obvious you mean lap times!

The live timing always keeps the times up until the next event, you have to sign up for it but it's pretty sweet, as it appears in exactly the same way as Martin Brundle and Ross Brawn see it (using colours to mark fast times etc.):

http://www.formula1.com/services/live_timi...gistration.html

Oh that looks mint, cheers.

Someone's also made a Linux app that reads the data and outputs it to the console, so my F1 viewing now looks like this :)

post-5589-1238772309.jpg

Someone's also made a Linux app that reads the data and outputs it to the console, so my F1 viewing now looks like this :ph34r:

post-5589-1238772309.jpg

Holy crap, your left foot is massive! :)

My predictions for the race:

Either Brawn to win with ease, followed by a williams and a Toyota.

BOTH FERRARI'S TO DNF.

Where'd you get that tabletop for your TV/monitor? I'd like one.

http://dwell.co.uk/104432

Wow! I didn't pay that much for it! Think I paid 300.

The black glass top needs dusting all the time but it does look good :)

Well, Schuey got banned (for overtaking on the warm-up lap) for a period in 1994. it was a while ago, but it has been known to happen.

Indeed, and Honda once, but that's it.

I suspect the ticket sale collapse (can't prove that) when they banned Shuey is why they've not really done it since.

Someone's also made a Linux app that reads the data and outputs it to the console, so my F1 viewing now looks like this :)

post-5589-1238772309.jpg

Any chance of pointing me at this app. I'd like timings full screen on my laptop.

The main lesson from all this is that the entire rule book needs to be thrown out the window and redrawn in a vastly simplified form. All the major controversies in F1 stem from overcomplicated sub-rules that no one knows how to interpret properly (including the FIA and Stewards). Teams then dig themselves into deeper holes by trying to cover their arses for other possible infringements, and end up worse off because of it.

The order the cars cross the line in rarely amounts to more than a vague guideline to the official results, with various changes made in the hours after the race, which are often reversed or completely changed again days or weeks down the line.

As a couple of people have said previously, any punishments should be handed out on track during the race wherever possible, and the order the cars cross the line in should be all that counts. If subsequent misdeeds are discovered then future punishment would be more appropriate.

As a final note, let's imagine the FIA were in charge of the 2006 World Cup:

Zidane was sent off in the final for headbutting Materazzi, and Italy went on to win the game in a penalty shoot out. A few hours after the trophy ceremony, Zidane would tell them he reacted to Materazzi insulting his sister.

At this stage the FIA would have demoted Italy to runners up and handed the World Cup to France.

A week later, it would emerge that Materazzi' actually said "you're the son of a terrorist whore". France would then be disqualified, Italy would get the trophy back, Germany would get the runners up medals and Portugal would now be the Third Place Play-Off winners.

As a final note, let's imagine the FIA were in charge of the 2006 World Cup:

Zidane was sent off in the final for headbutting Materazzi, and Italy went on to win the game in a penalty shoot out. A few hours after the trophy ceremony, Zidane would tell them he reacted to Materazzi insulting his sister.

At this stage the FIA would have demoted Italy to runners up and handed the World Cup to France.

A week later, it would emerge that Materazzi' actually said "you're the son of a terrorist whore". France would then be disqualified, Italy would get the trophy back, Germany would get the runners up medals and Portugal would now be the Third Place Play-Off winners.

:):D :D

The main lesson from all this is that the entire rule book needs to be thrown out the window and redrawn in a vastly simplified form. All the major controversies in F1 stem from overcomplicated sub-rules that no one knows how to interpret properly (including the FIA and Stewards). Teams then dig themselves into deeper holes by trying to cover their arses for other possible infringements, and end up worse off because of it.

As a couple of people have said previously, any punishments should be handed out on track during the race wherever possible, and the order the cars cross the line in should be all that counts. If subsequent misdeeds are discovered then future punishment would be more appropriate.

As a final note, let's imagine the FIA were in charge of the 2006 World Cup: etc.

First of all Zidane would still be sent off. He headbutted the guy ! (but that is a different argument)

2nd If i'm cheated out of a race win, how is it going to help me if cheating Lewis Hamiton (or whoever) is out of the next race ? It will just be one less car in a pack of 20. What if it is the last race of the season, these snap decisions would decide the championship.

Imagine if Mrpogo were in charge of the 1988 Olympics.......

"Sorry Carl Lewis but Ben Johnson was cheating and hes going to keep the gold medal. Don't worry he won't be back in 1992, see you then."

I agree the FIA have made some shocking decisions but I can't fault them on this. Hamiton/Maclaren lied, that's the problem.

What difference do the understanding of the rules make ? They should have and should always tell the truth when ask by the stewards, the rule book will judge who is right.

They should read it, instead they guess and lie.