IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7955790.stm

Formula 1's teams claim the new scoring system introduced earlier this week is not valid and cannot be used in 2009.

They argue that the changes, which stipulate that the driver with most wins will become world champion, did not meet the necessary regulations.

F1's governing body, the FIA, announced it was amending the scoring system in order to make racing more exciting.

But the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) said it "unanimously agreed to question the validity" of the decision.

"It is too late for FIA to impose a change for the 2009 season that has not obtained the unanimous agreement of all the competitors properly entered into the 2009 Formula 1 Championship," read a Fota statement, issued on Friday.

2r4ndrc.gif

Two weeks before the season starts aswell. Jesus. We're probably going to end up with a situation where a few races into the season the points/wins structure isn't even known. Why do they need to mess around with things so much and in such a disorganised manner.

Prophet of doom. Surely they won't let this happen where there's an appeal and the possibility of it changing (either way) after a few races.

Another flaw in the "winner takes all" system just occured to me: this year each driver has eight engines to last all season, so I can see situations where the championship contenders will simply be pulling out two-thirds of the way through the race if things aren't going their way. Ie, Massa's down in 10th, Hamilton's already lapped him in 1st = won't want to go wearing out his engine by battling to gain a worthless point from the last 20 laps.

Another flaw in the "winner takes all" system just occured to me: this year each driver has eight engines to last all season, so I can see situations where the championship contenders will simply be pulling out two-thirds of the way through the race if things aren't going their way. Ie, Massa's down in 10th, Hamilton's already lapped him in 1st = won't want to go wearing out his engine by battling to gain a worthless point from the last 20 laps.
I was sure there were already rules in place for this sort of thing from very soon after 2-race engines were introduced, but off the top of my head can't remeber them.

All those people that are using previous season's to help their argument about the new system of wins over points, it's utterly pointless as those results were born of a system where racers were racing for points and not wins.

If that rule had been operating last season then it would've been a totally different outcome, the most competitive racing often happens in the middle of the pack or at the bottom of the points paying positions where a driver has less to lose, if you introduced this system then the ones upfront would have to go for the win aswell.

In the current points system it's a much better idea to bag the points for third rather than risk anything in these fragile cars, that thinking needs to go.

I'd rather they just introduced it now to get next years repeat of this argument out of the way.

The best races have always been at the end of the season when it's do or die for a driver, seeing Schumacher or Hamilton go from the back of the race through to a podium finish, epic.

I was sure there were already rules in place for this sort of thing from very soon after 2-race engines were introduced, but off the top of my head can't remeber them.

Under the old system (2 races per engine) you could change your engine if you didn't finish I belive. But that's not how the new system works: its 8 for the season, with no rules ahout changing them between races. You can change the engine between each race, but after 8 you'd have to cycle back to the first. It means two consecutive engine heavy circuits can use different engines to spread the wear.

Now winner-takes-all is gone, part of me feels kinda sad. Would have been wrong, but somehow weird and potentially wonderful at the same time. Still, we have the wonders of the boost button to look forward to. :)

Well, aside from it sounding like a silly rule, it was doubly silly to say it was brought in to make the races more exciting, when the FIA has no idea yet whether all of the rule changes they've already brought in for 2009 will lead to more overtaking anyway - which they were designed to do, no?

You guys need to check out New Star Grand Prix, over in discussion.

Best Formula One game ever!?

No, best F1 game ever would be F1 circus on the sega megadrive. I recall many games of telling flank williams to shove his race car up his arse whilst driving and winning by a mile for reyton house.

That is the template, and the most basic of templates that any F1 game should now seek to emulate, crash too many times and you get sacked.