IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

This is crazy, hope he recovers fast. What is it with the media, a few hours ago they said he's recovering in hospital after a minor head injury, now he's in a coma fighting for his life.

They didn't know all the details so they played it down, the media does that all the time when they can. Obviously with social media they can't get away with it as much as they used to but in the case of this where it is behind closed doors they can take their time putting their reports together.

I've just been reading that his manager has confirmed the injury is very serious, and apparently Ross Brawn is at / has been at the hospital.

Hope its just sensational journalism but it really doesn't sound good at the moment :(

There's a press conference on now. There's been a slight improvement yesterday, but they are stressing slight. It allowed a surgical procedure to reduce cranial pressure last night. A scan showed a few signs which are relatively stable.

They're being quite careful with the language and not overplaying improvements or signs.

One of the doctors really trying to drive home to the media that they can't say anything about the future, they just don't know, and it would be stupid for the media to read anything into the future from what they're saying.

quote]One of the doctors really trying to drive home to the media that they can't say anything about the future, they just don't know, and it would be stupid for the media to read anything into the future from what they're saying

The media being the media

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25558709

Annoying that I can't edit posts for some reason.

Want to wish you guys all a happy new year but feeling like tomorrow might be bad news for the sport.

So I wish you all health and happiness and that the sport stays as tragedy free as possible so we can mourn legends well into their old age.

Everytime I see this thread has a new post, I fear the worst.

I have been watching a load of videos of Michael's glory years and one moment hit home... The press conference after the Italian GP when he equalled Senna's number of race wins. I remember a lot of people commenting on how they finally saw the otherside of Schumacher, at that point he was already a full blown hero of mine. He had a mindset of WIN, WIN, WIN on the track, but always came across as a genuine person off it.

He has to come through this, he just has to.

His spokesperson says he was going to help a friend and basically suffered from some bad luck

Schumacher’s spokesperson Sabine Kehm has denied that German was skiing at high speed and lost control, stating that the Formula One legend was trying to help a stricken friend on the French Alpine resort of Meribel.
“Michael and the group had been skiing on normal slopes,” she said.
“In between red and blue slopes there was an area and they went into that.”
“He helped a friend who had fallen and went into deep snow, hit a rock and was catapulted into the air and landed head down. It was extreme bad luck, not because he was at speed.”

It's kind of relevant in that a lot of the comments sections I've seen on news stories have seen the 'armchair expert' types saying it's all his own stupid fault and idiotically self inflicted damage because only expert skiers who know the mountain like the back of their hand should ever go off piste, he was clearly going too fast if he couldn't avoid the rocks, emergency services shouldn't attend morons like that etc etc, so an amateur like him who clearly doesn't know the area shouldn't have been travelling shouldn't have been going as fast as he obviously was and so on. You can see why they want to quieten those types down with news that he was travelling slowly, 500 yards from a chalet he owns and thus an area he presumably skis in regularly.

Off piste you can get into trouble quickly as you tend to be in areas that are pretty steep so you don't get bogged down in the deep snow. If you screw up you pick up speed very quickly. A slightly mistake, a sloppy turn and you can suddenly be traveling fast and slightly out of control.

I've just got back today from a resort not too far as the crow flies from Meribel (Val d'Isere). There is plenty of fresh snow dumping at the moment, but LOTS of exposed and lightly covered rocks about, plus lots of ice in places you might not expect. There just isn't the coverage but everyone (me included) is still venturing off the pistes. It's just what people do when they are a bit experienced. And everyone stacks it at some point in a day of going off piste - even if your awesome and have been doing it all your life.

From the minimal information out there I think he was just unlucky. Fingers still crossed.