The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

Shit! :(

Sean Edwards killed in Porsche crash at Queensland Raceway

Porsche Supercup championship leader Sean Edwards has been killed in a crash in Australia.

The 26-year-old Briton was a passenger in a Porsche 996 that hit the barriers at Queensland Raceway in Willowbank during a private test session on Tuesday.

Edwards was killed instantly on impact with the tyre wall on the outside of the track at Turn 6.

The accident was initially attended to by onlookers after the car burst into flames on impact.

The local emergency services spent three hours extracting the driver - a 20-year-old man from Brisbane - from the burning wreckage. He is currently in intensive care with life-threatening injuries.

An ultra-successful season in 2013 had featured victories for Edwards in the Nurburgring and Dubai 24 Hours, wins in the Porsche Carrera Cup Germany and in the GTC class of the American Le Mans Series.

He currently leads the Supercup standings with just one double-header at Yas Marina to run on November 2-3.

A few of my friends had the chance to meet/work with him and they're absolutely distraught. I only had the pleasure of seeing him zoom around at Silverstone a few times when I went to a GP weekend and on the telly at other times. Super talented guy, and seemed a really decent person too.

What a year indeed :(

Hi everyone, didn't know where to put this, but since everyone here is an F1 nut I'm hoping someone knows!

So James Allen has been running a competition for inside access to the Mercedes factory in Brackley.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/10/unique-opportunity-to-go-behind-scenes-at-mercedes-f1-factory/

I've only just gone and won a place! However the tour is on Friday - this Friday - which means I'm in panic mode as I have no idea how to get there. I live outside Cardiff, which looks not too far, but of course being an F1 factory it won't be slap bang in town. So anyone who's been there/live local suggest the quickest, hassle free route? Other than car of course. Oh the shame of an F1 fan who can't drive!

Hello all, sorry this is going to be a short one I’m afraid, due to the pressure of work and house full of builders…

Errr right it’s the Indian F1 race this weekend and this time I don’t particularly like this track. Yes, yes I know I said last week that these sort of places should get a break and be given a chance to grow and develop. But not in India’s case, it’s a terrible track, it looks half finished, in fact the whole place looks half finished.

The initial “!ooooh F1 cars wow!!!” factor has gone and the ticket sales with it. Not helped by the fact your average Indian fan can’t afford Bernie’s astronomical entry price or the fact its not cricket, means this is the last time we’ll be heading to the Indian sub continent.

And, well its another industrial estate in the middle of nowhere with half empty stands. The track is unappealing, it looks the same where ever the camera looks and its just a bit dull. Couple that with the labyrinthine Bureaucracy of the local government, all adds up to a paddock that has told Bernie they have no wish to ever turn up here ever again … ever.

On the track, well Vettel will win the championship this weekend, as long as he finishes in the top ten or ahead of Alonso … I think. I’m not sure, I don’t really care to be honest. Its just a matter of time before he wins it, so the sooner he gets his hands on the cup the better.

Worth watching, however, the Force India v McLaren battle. Jobs are on the line here. And head honcho jobs not the grunts in the fields cannon fodder in the technical office variety. McLaren who can be considered one of the big shot teams are heading into a transmission year and need to finish well to secure the sponsorship to tide them over until the Honda money kicks in. Force India have been hamstrung by the mid season tyre change ruling. What was looking like a relatively good year has nosed dived into acrimony and finger pointing. At the moment neither driver is certain for 2014, Di Resta hasn’t finished the last four races, not always his fault, but it’s mostly his fault. It’s looking likely they he won’t even get a drive with any team next year, so low has his star fallen. Sutil might have the money to keep his. Over at McLaren Perez is on very shaky ground, the results and technical feedback have not been up to snuff and the Mexican money he was supposed to bring isn’t looking quite so secure as the season draws to a close. We also so a return of the McLaren comedy clown pit stop team in Japan with a right rear wheel that just didn’t want to come off either car.

McLaren used to be a by word for slick ruthless professionalism didn’t they, not any more. So anyway, both teams need to beat the other to salvage something from a dismal year.

Also having a bit of a nightmare, Williams and their decidedly unstar like star driver Maldonado. There is a rumour floating around in various financial periodicals, that all that lovely state money is about to dry up. Williams have been less than impressed with Pastor who has achieved the sum total off now’t since the win last year. the word is he thinks his talents are wasted at Williams and if only he could leave, one of the big 3 would snap him up. So far no one but him thinks this.

Okay enough talk get your updates in before midnight. Good luck