IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

I'd expect that any clauses are in Ferrari's favour. It is Ferrari after all.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Vet has clauses over his number 2. He didn't get on with Webber, but he did know he had the measure of him. He also knows he has experience and can help develop the car. Win win, really. Plus having a feisty and quick (but beatable) team mate is good for motivation. I do wonder if Alonso has sometimes lacked the bite simply because he's not been tested by his number 2.

The world and his wife will have been trying to get in to that second RB seat. I think that's one of a number of reasons that Webber stayed in that seat for so long.

Ferrari's president put out a crazy (drunk?) statement yesterday, attacking Alonso for his "disloyalty"!!!!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/07/montezemolo-gets-tough-with-alonso-where-do-they-go-from-here/

we might be seeing all change at the front next season, my predictions:

Kimi at Red Bull

Alonso going back to his "old" team at Lotus (formely Renault)

leaving Ferrari left in the pits!

Like Ferrari have been loyal for any length of time to drivers in the past!

Odd to hear Monty say something publicly about Alonso. I don't like Alonso but it's great to hear he's rattling feathers at Ferrari.

Ferrari's president put out a crazy (drunk?) statement yesterday, attacking Alonso for his "disloyalty"!!!!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/07/montezemolo-gets-tough-with-alonso-where-do-they-go-from-here/

we might be seeing all change at the front next season, my predictions:

Kimi at Red Bull

Alonso going back to his "old" team at Lotus (formely Renault)

leaving Ferrari left in the pits!

I was thinking this through this morning. If Alonso leaves Ferrari, who the hell would step in? Vettel isn't going anywhere, kimi would be unlikely, as would Hamilton. Button possibly would he doesn't really strike me as a number 1 Ferrari driver.

Would they be forced to go with a 2nd tier drive like rosberg, di resta, grosjean. I can't see Ferrari being happy with any one of them.

Do you think there is any chance Kimi might just stay at Lotus? He seems quite happy there, and I imagine a team who apparently just focuses on the sport without the politics would sit well with him.

They're also really supportive of their drivers publicly which must be nice.

Do you think there is any chance Kimi might just stay at Lotus? He seems quite happy there, and I imagine a team who apparently just focuses on the sport without the politics would sit well with him.

Apart from the small issue of him not being paid of course.

Apart from the small issue of him not being paid of course.

Ummm

What? Didnt know that!

Bianci is a good potential for Ferrari, probably bit too early though. Having said that Vettel got his chance as 2nd driver in Red Bull and now he's triple world champion. You never know.

He needs at least another 2 or 3 seasons kicking ass in a midfield team. Then maybe.

It's kinda ridiculous that a change in tyre structure can have such a large effect on a race outcome as we've seen from Lewis holding on and Force India & Renault losing out. These days I just don't feel like I know which drivers are faster than others and which ones are maybe driving a car that doesn't suit them, or maybe the temperature of the track was wrong for the setup they went with. As much as all the technological advances are cool I'd like to see a move back to a more even field in terms of car setups.

Martin Brundell was saying about how the junior drivers session they were able to get much closer than you'd expect to the top times, seems like even a shitty driver can get a good performance out of these modern cars whereas the cars from further back offered you no help whatsoever and you could either wring the thing's neck or you became an also-ran.

All these driver names being considered to step up into the top teams, we have no real idea how they all compare.

All these driver names being considered to step up into the top teams, we have no real idea how they all compare.

Always been the same really. I wonder many potential world champions never got their shot, sitting in shitty cars while talents like JV take honours.

A lot of drivers just missed their shot - people like Brundle or Alesi didn't get proper machinery at the right time in their careers. I wonder if some of the big names - Schumacher, Hakkinen would have risen or sunk had he had 3 or 4 years of driving Ligiers or Arrows. I do think that sometimes it kill their spirit - or their edge if they don't get their shot at the right time.

Gary Anderson's piece on the BBC website was interesting - he says Ferrari are in trouble, the new tyres helped Mercedes tremendously (because they heat up slower, thanks to the Kevlar) and DRS should be done away with. His argument is that it either works too well at some circuits, or not enough at others.

I'm a fan of DRS in F1 but at the same time I'm not convinced it will ever work in F1.

Ideally it should work to counteract the penalty of following another car for a lap. If you're slightly faster than the car in front it's the tool to put you in the ballpark in the breaking zone so you have a chance to pass.

I'd suggest that the circuits we've seen people breeze past with no defence are balancing issues. Too long here, too many zones there and not having separate detection zones somewhere else. It feels like over time it should get better. Shorten the zone down China's back straight or only have one zone somewhere else.

BUT, it will never work in F1. There's not enough stability or competitive equality for these things to be honed to do what we want (reduce field spread and keep the cars slightly closer to provide overtaking opportunities). DRS specific and general aero developments mean that there no stable speed difference it provides to take in to account across the field (what makes a Red Bull able to trail a Merc but not overtake is entirely different when it's a Ferrari drafting a McLaren - and this year it's different to last). Next years new engines will change that again and mean that tweaks applied to the zones based on this year are as likely to be wrong as they were this year.

The nature of F1 aero means we need DRS at some level but it must stop producing the formulaic draft pass in the straight. The Hungaroring showed how well it can work (no drafts pass but close racing), I just wish that was the case more often.

I wonder if some of the big names - Schumacher, Hakkinen would have risen or sunk had he had 3 or 4 years of driving Ligiers or Arrows. I do think that sometimes it kill their spirit - or their edge if they don't get their shot at the right time.

I think it's safe to say Schumacher is a different story though, he was going to get to the top, even if it meant pulling team up with him.

BUT, it will never work in F1. There's not enough stability or competitive equality for these things to be honed to do what we want (reduce field spread and keep the cars slightly closer to provide overtaking opportunities). DRS specific and general aero developments mean that there no stable speed difference it provides to take in to account across the field (what makes a Red Bull able to trail a Merc but not overtake is entirely different when it's a Ferrari drafting a McLaren - and this year it's different to last). Next years new engines will change that again and mean that tweaks applied to the zones based on this year are as likely to be wrong as they were this year.

The nature of F1 aero means we need DRS at some level but it must stop producing the formulaic draft pass in the straight. The Hungaroring showed how well it can work (no drafts pass but close racing), I just wish that was the case more often.

Yeah, I do find there's always a lot of talk about fake DRS passes and how they just gift drivers a place, but instances of a car overtaking someone with DRS and then the car behind getting the place back again on the next lap or two are very rare so it isn't just constantly producing fake overtakes.

Now that everyone is used to the DRS system maybe they could develop it further and say you have to be within 1 second on 3 consecutive laps for it to be enabled, at least then you're more certain that the car behind is being properly held up. Just seeing what happened last weekend, which we used to see a lot of, where drivers are stuck behind other drivers on a different strategy, it's just shitty and not the kind of racing I want to watch, but you don't want the passes to happen instantly either as that isn't very satisfying either.

I'd like to see something where it helps cars massively out of position, but not for it to make it easy to swap the top spots around; I'm glad it means that say a puncture from Vettel on lap 3 won't result in him spending the rest of the race stuck behind a Caterham in 17th, but I don't like it when it helps someone breeze into first as if the previous race leader wasn't there.

DRS with all it's problems >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> processional races like we saw in the 90's.

Average number of overtakes in a race in 1996: 13

Average number of overtakes in a race in 2011: 60

I know which I'd prefer to watch, even if the length of the zone may be a bit off sometimes.