IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

If it is the kerbs contributing to the failure, then it's more down to the drivers for taking the risk than the tyre for failing.

But the rule is that two wheels must be inside the white lines, so it's a totally legitimate line.

I know everyone is blaming Pirelli but isn't this all the FIA's fault. They set out the parameters of what they want the tyres to do and Pirelli then make them to those specifications and with the ban on in season testing they are unable to improve the tyres over the course of the season.

Just got back home from silverstone.

Amazing atmosphere there today. Was gutted for Hamilton, the whole crowd was down when his tyre went.

I was sat at Abbey, everyone in the stand went mental when vettel went out. Great weather as well especially considering what it's been like so far this year.

THE TYRES ARE RUBBISH

That is all I have to say on the subject.

Rosberg won, because his tyres didn’t explode and his engine didn’t break

Webber was second after complaining to his team that his start line procedure didn’t work properly

Alonso raced the arse off the car yet again to third because Ferrari can’t get the thing dialled in before the race

Hamilton was robbed in fourth

Kimi was lucky the track was warm and the tyres worked for him after a cold qualifying left him a long way back, fifth today... will he be in a Redbull next year ..... yes.

Massa also had to race back after his tyre exploded

Sutil was dull

Ricciardo is still convinced his eighth place today will mean something to Redbull at the end of the year.

Di Resta is counting down the days before he can tell the press just what he thinks of the Force India team in ninth

Hulkenberg must be wondering if the move to Sauber was worth it after all ... the answer, is no.

I'm going to watch the rest of Glasto and drink port now.

MrPogo,25
Charles,24
Tokyo Bogue,21
James Roberts,19
PeteyGol,19
Duane,17
roskelld,17
Velse,17
Myoozikk,16
Joffy,16
Marmite,16
Boozy The Clown,15
Tomox02,14
Picasso Of Pain,14
Sidewaysbob,13
Mortis,12
jerichoDX,11
Gospvg,11
Kiroquai,10
Davius,10
Simbo,9
JobiStod,9
CrashBangDan,9
nuskool,9
whizzo,8
mlewis,8
mexos,6
Bushtopher,6
Haver,6
Keineboom,6

Lotus, Ferrari and Force India all rejected plans for stronger tires

I did wonder about Kimi's cool (as usual) response to it. He got hit in the head by Verne's tyre yet post race he was analytical about it, the kerb is what it is, the tyre situation is what it is, deal with it*. It helps having the status quo for him as Lotus are good with the tyres.

Kimi, always thinking about the long game. What a legend.

s100415_06glasses-pg-horizontal.JPG

No, see tyres don't just explode at high speed because of the kerbs. They are the same kerbs they've had for 4 years.

The tyres are shit, because they couldn't design and test them, so it was all a bit finger in the air design. The Bernie and the FIA started squaring up to each other and Pirelli have been caught in the middle of this shit storm. A shit storm that was none of their making.

They wanted to change the tyres and half the teams said no, some said okay and and a couple complained the tea was too cold and they didn't want to say anything at that this but broadly they weren't going to answer just then and what about money for the back markers.

It all a load of shit and nothing will change till its a sport again not a business ...

I loved Lewis saying "we tested new tyres, why didn't they use them?". Yeah, that's a good idea, give Mercedes even more of an edge.

Only because it gave you chance to have yet another tedious pop at him. Did he shit on your doorstep as a kid?

Edit: He didnt even say what you claim he did. :lol:

How the hell did I climb all the way back up to fifth in the Predictathon? I think I need to change from this Cevert avatar to Kimi :ph34r:

Obviously Monaco helped a ton.

As for the tyres issue, can't help but feel for that Pirelli guy that DC likes to interview every week, he's become the public scapegoat for the entire mess and its not even the making of the company he represents.

Didn't Red bull also turn down a stronger tyre? Thought I heard something during the commentary this weekend mentioning them and tyres.

How the hell did I climb all the way back up to fifth in the Predictathon? I think I need to change from this Cevert avatar to Kimi :ph34r:

Obviously Monaco helped a ton.

As for the tyres issue, can't help but feel for that Pirelli guy that DC likes to interview every week, he's become the public scapegoat for the entire mess and its not even the making of the company he represents.

Didn't Red bull also turn down a stronger tyre? Thought I heard something during the commentary this weekend mentioning them and tyres.

Red Bull and Mercedes wanted them, everyone else had no issue but Ferrari, Lotus and Force India vetoed it. You can kind of understand in one way, but obviously the situation at Silverstone bought it into harsh focus. 6 tyre failures (not sure if folks knew Alonso's rear right went down at the pit entry and Gutierrez's front left went pop on Hanger Straight) and several others on the verge of going pop (Rosberg's rear left was pretty much hanging by a thread at the end of his first stint) showed that things need to change.

The kerbs weren't the real issue - they've been the same for 4 years. Every series that runs around Silverstone these days uses the Turn 4 kerb that way. The tyres should be well able to stand that kind of thing, but they weren't. You have to feel for Pirelli in a way because the most recent car they've got to test their rubber on is a 2010 Renault, which is farcical. Before Michelin came into the sport in 2001 they spent the lion's share of 2000 running around various circuits with a year-old Williams ironing out the kinks. Then again, you could argue that Pirelli have had 47 (or so) full Grands Prix weekends to get some data on how various things affect various compounds by now, so I do believe a little of the blame lies at their doorstep too.

As for what Lewis said, I thought (might be wrong) it was 'They had all the data from the test we did and they didn't use it', which I am guessing is what annoyed him the most. Hopefully now the other ten teams have their own three-day test at Silverstone this month they can all work together to get some kind of solution so we can finally stop having to talk about the little black circles on the corners of each car and focus on the lumps of carbon fibre and the drivers in the middle of them.

The point should be made here, that tyre development is locked off with the start of the season.

So yes they've been running around all year with these tyres and have enough data, but they couldn't do anything with it, becuase Force India and Lotus wouldn't sign off on the change.

That Gary Anderson guy is such a plonker, he loves putting out these views like he's the great expert, and backing it up with a load of waffle to impress the general public but he's full of crap. The kerb thing is so typical of him.

I remember his espousing how McLaren had made a huge mistake with the higher nose on last years car and all the techno-talk about how it doesn't work and then the car ends up the fastest on the grid.

Maybe that's why he's on the BBC and not actually working for a team I guess.

Game changer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23141389

The rear tyres' internal belt will be made of Kevlar at the Nurburgring this weekend rather than the usual steel.

Kevlar is a flexible, reinforced fibre that is used to help reduce punctures. The Kevlar construction reduces the operating temperature of the tyre by about 10C and it could affect the relative competitiveness of the cars.

Looks like Kimi's already slim championship hopes are dead for this year, whilst Mercedes have a good chance of winning the championship!

Only because it gave you chance to have yet another tedious pop at him. Did he shit on your doorstep as a kid?Edit: He didnt even say what you claim he did. :lol:

I was paraphrasing, not quoting directly.

The point I am making is that Lewis was basically saying Mercedes had tried the new tyres and everyone should have been using them. But for whatever reason various teams have been blocking changes. It seems odd that Lewis would come out and make a statement that was trying to justify the tyre test Mercedes and Pirelli were reprimanded for.

Is it? It just seems like a driver wondering why the test he did hasn't lead anywhere. The problem comes from an assumption the test was to make stronger tires available for the next two races. Brawn has always maintained they didn't know what was tested and Pirelli never made any statement about what the test results would be used for, although the consensus is that it was for safety concerns we don't know for sure.

It's no surprise Hamilton would be confused that nothing seems to have changed, especially if Pirelli had new tires but were indeed blocked by certain teams. It's not like he was trying to give the corporate PR line.

Its all moot now as the FIA have waided in and told the teams to stop fucking about.

It also sets a precident that the FIA can change things if they feel it is to the good of the sport and teams can't agree. Its makes the point that ultimatly the FIA make the rules and the teams will do as they are told.