IGNORED

The Formula 1 Thread

Nick_L

Not if Lotus's race pace yesterday was comparable; they were able to comfortably settle into a rhythm about 0.5 - 0.8 per lap quicker than McLaren and Red Bull, and Kimi was on a run that was as long/longer than anything anyone else did.

Will be interesting!

Williams on the front row! :omg: Superb from Maldonado and Alonso.. crazy out-performance of their team-mates as well... but Lewis blew everyone away. And we still have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow... will Lewis have any race pace to match qualifying? I'm presuming the both of the Lotus cars will be quietly confident.. and what about Vettel in 8th and probably starting on hards? Impossible to call, should be fun!

Not if Lotus's race pace yesterday was comparable; they were able to comfortably settle into a rhythm about 0.5 - 0.8 per lap quicker than McLaren and Red Bull, and Kimi was on a run that was as long/longer than anything anyone else did.

Will be interesting!

Lotus look to be learning quicker than McLaren and RBR though.

Yeah. Latest on Twitter from assorted journos is that McLaren are hoping they can prove it was a technical issue that caused there to be less fuel than expected in the car. If they can't, Maldonado's on pole...

... can't admit I ever thought I'd be saying that :unsure:

I'm sure they'll drop a grid penalty on him, Mclaren seem determined to mess it up for Lewis. I really hope they don't Q3 was kinda a joke as it is. I want to see the best drivers in the world drive on the limit (Ham/Alo) not do do half speed laps to save tyres (Vet)

Yes it makes for a messed up grid but I'm really not enjoying the 2012 Pirelli's. Why not just really save money & pick the winner out of a hat.

It was that incident in Canada that led to the rule being written - supposedly you need to have enough fuel to get back after the specified sample amount is taken; according to Will Buxton some engine guys he's spoken to say the 1.3 litres left in Lewis' tank was going to be nowhere near enough.

Shame that McLaren seem to have screwed it up again, but I'll wait to see what's caused it.

Whitmarsh has said there was 1.3L left in the tank, which was plenty

It was that incident in Canada that led to the rule being written - supposedly you need to have enough fuel to get back after the specified sample amount is taken; according to Will Buxton some engine guys he's spoken to say the 1.3 litres left in Lewis' tank was going to be nowhere near enough.

Shame that McLaren seem to have screwed it up again, but I'll wait to see what's caused it.

Apparently they have to have a 1 litre sample available for testing. That left him a third of a litre to complete the lap with, which (based on random F1 fuel consumption claims I found via Google) would have gotten him about 500m at "race pace", presumably eked out a bit further if crawling round. Any idea where on the track he stopped (Whitmarsh claims that would have been enough to get back and provide the full sample)?

McLaren claimed that a member of the team hadn't put enough fuel in, rather than it being a deliberate act. The FIA didn't believe them... possibly due to the rule being in place because of them doing similar before.

Very harsh penalty, but can't really blame anyone other than McLaren for the situation arising in the first place. Lewis must be pretty pissed off with them (again).

Fuck this "sport"

You know what? I don't think I'll bother watching tomorrow.

Yeah. Qualifying's already a fucking joke with three of the ten cars not even bothering to put a lap time in for Q3, but now they've made it into a full on farce there's no point tuning into F1 any more. I thought it was supposed to be about cars going fast, but it's all tactics and spiteful technicalities. How the hell is it racing when you gain an advantage just by sitting in a garage? And how many countless times have cars pulled over at the end of a race with it being allowed to slide? I'm sure it's happened at least once this season (did Vettel do it after his win?), but because it happened to their favourite target Hamilton they say "Oh no, it's completely different because it's qualifying, not the race! That makes him a cheating bastard you see! Evil evil! Lucky we haven't booted him out of F1! He should be thanking us!"

Be interesting to find out what McLaren said exactly to the FIA, but I don't think trying to claim it was force majeure when someone just didn't put enough fuel in would have helped their cause.

AstokumCMAApfki.jpg