IGNORED

Taking it back to the old skool...

dizogg

You realise that due to the Dreamcast using Gigabyte Discs, your crappy CDR copies are downsampled, incomplete versions?

Or to be more accurate - 'mong editions'

:)

You do realise I have a collection of about 40-50 genuine Dreamcast games, and have owned my Dreamcast since 1999? That I have 4 controllers for it, 4 VMUs, Official Arcade Stick, Scart Cable, etc. I was there to get a free Chu Chu Rocket from Sega, I was there buying Shenmue I and Shenmue II on release day. I was there spending all the money I could scrape together for a £40 copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, MSR and Ikaruga on release day. I WAS THERE! And I know that most of these CDR copies AREN'T downsampled too.

Don't begrudge me a few copied games I would never have bought or be able to buy had I not got them for free. It's not harming anyone.

You realise that due to the Dreamcast using Gigabyte Discs, your crappy CDR copies are downsampled, incomplete versions?

:)

He'd better forget all that fun he's been having then. dizogg you got the mong versions! haha

The DC used to get a lot of play in a shared house I lived in a few years back. Wetrix, Virtua Tennis (doubles and versus, we only had 2 pads) and Contra on NesterDC were big favourites. Before that in various student houses it was Bust A Move 2, and going back further imto the mists of time Micro Machines 96 on MD and Bomberman, Gravity Power and Air Taxi on the Amiga.

There's something to be said for old-school multiplayer gaming, I think it's a ongoing three-way fuck-up on behalf of the industry, the games buying public and games journalism / media that games like this have all but died out.

The DC used to get a lot of play in a shared house I lived in a few years back. Wetrix, Virtua Tennis (doubles and versus, we only had 2 pads) and Contra on NesterDC were big favourites. Before that in various student houses it was Bust A Move 2, and going back further imto the mists of time Micro Machines 96 on MD and Bomberman, Gravity Power and Air Taxi on the Amiga.

There's something to be said for old-school multiplayer gaming, I think it's a ongoing three-way fuck-up on behalf of the industry, the games buying public and games journalism / media that games like this have all but died out.

Good call. Wetrix is wicked. I really love it, and don't really realise why isn't thought of more highly. It just feels really nice to play.

Are people really upset by dizoggs comment or is it just because dizogg said it?

I couldn't give a fuck whether he downloads games but in a thread that was meant to be about how great the DC was, why make a comment like "with wallets full of copied games". It is clearly designed to create an argument and he has done it all the fucking time since he was allowed back. I realise he is probably only 14 or something but that's not excuse.

Are people really upset by dizoggs comment or is it just because dizogg said it?

Nah, not really - it's just that he had to say 'wallets of copied games' when there was no need at all - maybe an oversight, but I enjoyed having a good old bitch at him :)

And fair play for having bought a good-sized collection back in the day, shame there weren't more of us, but that's another (quite dull and often repeated) story... I'm sure there'll be another 'why did SEGA fail?' topic in the next few minutes or so...

So you'd rather he bought them second hand and killed innovation?

I hope that copy of Starship Titanic was brand new, or else you've got blood on your hands sunshine.

FFS, take a wider look on this. And don't try quoting a mainstream media article, or you could be innundated with "manhunt killed my teenager", "GTA glorifies drugs" etc. stories. The case below shows how developers should work this.

My version of Starship Titanic was second hand, so the developer made nowt. Agreed. But, They saw that sale made on Ebay, if they feel there is enough interest, they may re release the game. Lets take a massive case in point at the moment.

Ico

Sold in a limited run, not available anywhere but Ebay at a ridiculous price (unless you download a ripped ISO), developers spot this and re-release the game, at a budget price no less. So they take the bottom out of the used market and make more cash on their IP. Nothing stopping any other developers doing this as well. Same with the publisher in the US that took the risk on re-printing Gitaroo Man, Rez, etc. The thing that drove those re-releases was ebay second hand sales of original media.

FFS, take a wider look on this. And don't try quoting a mainstream media article, or you could be innundated with "manhunt killed my teenager", "GTA glorifies drugs" etc. stories. The case below shows how developers should work this.

My version of Starship Titanic was second hand, so the developer made nowt. Agreed. But, They saw that sale made on Ebay, if they feel there is enough interest, they may re release the game. Lets take a massive case in point at the moment.

Ico

Sold in a limited run, not available anywhere but Ebay at a ridiculous price (unless you download a ripped ISO), developers spot this and re-release the game, at a budget price no less. So they take the bottom out of the used market and make more cash on their IP. Nothing stopping any other developers doing this as well. Same with the publisher in the US that took the risk on re-printing Gitaroo Man, Rez, etc. The thing that drove those re-releases was ebay second hand sales of original media.

But most publishers don't actually realise most of this. If a game doesn't sell well in the first couple of weeks, then you're likely to never see it new soon after.

While I get this argument, its almost like giving in to the thin end of the wedge. If a game is truly not available anywhere, I can understand that people may want to download it. But the question of 'anywhere' is a tough one. Is it on ebay?

How would buying it on eBay benefit the developers/publishers exactly?

The Dreamcast had the shittiest pad ever, though. Unquestionably.

Unquestionably not. It's one of my favourites. The 360 pad being my favourite, blatantly ripped from the DC's pad (or the Xbox one was, you catch my drift.)

:D

900mb CD-Rs sort that out a treat.

In the interest of fucking fairness you freeloading waste of space. I'll be round to yours later to empty your fridge, that OK?

And everyone that's saying shit like this, I say to you: "SHUT THE FUCK UP". I'd love to know anybody with an internet connection, possibly in the world, that hasn't once said "OH YES FUCK IT I THINK I'LL HAVE SOME OF THAT SHIT".

The 360 pad being my favourite, blatantly ripped from the DC's pad (or the Xbox one was, you catch my drift.)

Did Sega not have a hand in the design of the Japanese xbox controller? Japanese pad -> S-pad -> 360 controller, might explain the similarity.

I fancy someone mentioned that.

I own a DC. I don't have one copied game. I have about 50 originals. Oh, wait, tell a lie. I have Half Life on CD-r, but seeing as that was never released, I don't really count it. Go me!

And yet, I don't think it's wrong for someone to have them here and now in 2006.