IGNORED

Taking it back to the old skool...

dizogg

After watching MOTD with my mate we thought we'd have a little gaming session. But the 360 doesn't really have what we needed.

So out came the dreamcast and two wallets full of copied games and we were AWAY! Played on:

SFA3

SSFIITX

Ikaruga

Zero Gunner 2

Gigawing

Streets of Rage II (On Sega Smash Pack)

Capcom vs. SNK 2

I'd forgotten how FUN this shit is. Just the purity of it all is lovely. Don't get me wrong though, I love both sides of gaming. From Pong to GTA3, its all good. Basically:

GAMES ARE PRETTY SWEET!

And anyway. I got a real copy of Ikaruga for like £40 on Japanese release day, I own two real copies of Streets of Rage II for the Megadrive and I bought SFA3 and Capcom Vs. SNK for real. Just that i've sold some of them now.

Most of these games are Japanese only and only available second hand. Do you think the developers really give a shite?

My heart is warm today. My 5 year old Nephew is obsessed with Sonic - no, not Sonic Heroes or any somesuch nonsense, but Sonic the Hedgehog 2. He can't get any further than Aquatic Ruin (or the "water levels" as he calls them) so muggins here took him through the entire game, to completion - which surprised me. It seemed a lot easier than I remember.

He really wants to play Sonic 3, getting really excited about seeing it. It's me, when I was twice his age.

Anyway, yeah. I thought that was good.

Presumably the 'piracy oh noes!' people have completely legitimate MP3 collections and would never think of torrenting films or US TV?

I'm afraid I'm anal enough to answer yes to all of the above. I used to work in software development, and its instilled a real anti-piracy streak in me. Why people think that just because its available on the net, that makes it OK to download it annoys me.

But is it piracy if you can't buy it? Who loses out?

No idea. We've been told that piracy is killing the games industry and that second hand games are killing the industry too. Therefore, I suggest that dizogg buy an Xbox 360 and 10 brand new games IMMEDIATELY to make up for his crimes.

Actually, scratch that. Turns out the Xbox 360 is killing the games industry too.

The only solution is to hand yourself into ELSPA for the birching you deserve.

But is it piracy if you can't buy it? Who loses out?

While I get this argument, its almost like giving in to the thin end of the wedge. If a game is truly not available anywhere, I can understand that people may want to download it. But the question of 'anywhere' is a tough one. Is it on ebay? My local Game? When does the point come to say, "I can't find it so I should download it". It took me about 6 months to track down a Mac version of Starship Titanic recently, but I stuck with it and eventually got a legit version.

I do appreciate there is a grey area, its just not one I wander in to, and I know I must seem like a real moral smart arse on this one, but its something I feel strobly about. I was more taking offence at the suggestion from Splendid that we all had illegal MP3s and downloaded movies, whcih is just not true. Just because plenty of people do it, doesn't mean everyone does.

While I get this argument, its almost like giving in to the thin end of the wedge. If a game is truly not available anywhere, I can understand that people may want to download it. But the question of 'anywhere' is a tough one. Is it on ebay? My local Game? When does the point come to say, "I can't find it so I should download it". It took me about 6 months to track down a Mac version of Starship Titanic recently, but I stuck with it and eventually got a legit version.

I do appreciate there is a grey area, its just not one I wander in to, and I know I must seem like a real moral smart arse on this one, but its something I feel strobly about. I was more taking offence at the suggestion from Splendid that we all had illegal MP3s and downloaded movies, whcih is just not true. Just because plenty of people do it, doesn't mean everyone does.

So you'd rather he bought them second hand and killed innovation?

I hope that copy of Starship Titanic was brand new, or else you've got blood on your hands sunshine.

At the end of the day, the moral problem with copying games is that by downloading a game for free, you're preventing the people who made the game from being rewarded for their efforts. However, if a game's been discontinued, then all of the "legit" methods of acquiring a game (ebay, second hand shops) end up with the developers not being rewarded either.

By that argument, copying old games is perfectly fine from a moral standpoint- at the end of the day, the only people I care about are the creative minds behind the game, rather than the retail minds who sell it. By all means, go to the effort of finding an old game if you want the box and the manuals and a nicely labelled disk. It still doesn't make downloading an old game wrong.

Jesus. It's common sense. The ethics of piracy aren't black and white.

I agree with K's last post, mainly.

Also, why not start a thread about piracy if you complainers have something to say about it? I thought this thread was supposed to be about how cool older, simpler games are, when played in multiplayer.

At the end of the day, the moral problem with copying games is that by downloading a game for free, you're preventing the people who made the game from being rewarded for their efforts. However, if a game's been discontinued, then all of the "legit" methods of acquiring a game (ebay, second hand shops) end up with the developers not being rewarded either.

By that argument, copying old games is perfectly fine from a moral standpoint- at the end of the day, the only people I care about are the creative minds behind the game, rather than the retail minds who sell it. By all means, go to the effort of finding an old game if you want the box and the manuals and a nicely labelled disk. It still doesn't make downloading an old game wrong.

What he said, (but people who use the term "At the end of the day" a lot (it turns up twice in the above text) tend to be wankers, but I'm sure, at the end of the day, K isn't a wanker.

Granted, that dizogg person is, perhaps, trying to reel people into a rather dull debate about software piracy, but aside from that, I don't really see that he has committed any crime.

I know certain folk around here don't have a lot of time for Stuart Campbell, but for the most part, his opinions concerning software piracy hold a lot of water for me. By chance, somebody dumped a load of old PC mags (from around 2003) in the lounge area of my work. One of these mags contained part II of a piracy feature written by Mr Campbell and very good reading it was. If you're interested, you can probably find the whole thing in the archives at WoS.

Edit: I'm quite fond of the Dreamcast, but I always think of it as an also ran console. I'll get my coat.

I never meant for any of this! I don't really give a shit about piracy, life's too short. I'm by no means a big pirate anyway, I buy most of my stuff. You just have to get some perspective and realise your actions aren't really gonna change anything, whether you pirate or not.

But yeah, this was meant to be about simple, fun multiplayer games, and how that's been lost slightly as we've moved into the counterstrike era. Don't get me wrong though, Counterstrike et al are pretty awesome.