rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

rllmuk photo contest

I recon we can do with out the example images. I like the idea of having to interpret the subject myself. It should open up the variety of images submitted, and perhaps encourage new entrants, as the examples are sometimes a bit daunting.

Personally I sometimes feel limited by the example shots, as they express ideas that spring to mind once the theme is announced.

But maybe that should be done to the voting system? In that people can choose not to vote for a particular photo because it's a cliche, and they can vote for another photo because it's an interesting interpretation of the month's theme.

I haven't taken any photos yet, although I have voted a couple of times, and I think the example photos should go. Let the entrants make their own decisions, for better or worse - that's part of being a photographer.

Don't change the voting, no ways. Not that I particippate either, but I enjoy the thread. You don't want people forcibly voting based on some vague notion of concept rather than quality. I assume that people already do that when they vote, but there's no point prescribing it. :blink:

Don't change the voting, no ways. Not that I particippate either, but I enjoy the thread. You don't want people forcibly voting based on some vague notion of concept rather than quality.I assume that people already do that when they vote, but there's no point prescribing it. ;)

I agree entirely, but I wasn't saying the voting system should change. I was (trying) to say that one of the criteria that people probably already use to judge a photo is whether they think it is a cliche or not, and that posting example photos wasn't necessary to point such cliches out.

Let the people interpret, snap and judge for themselves.

The example's have got nothing to do with standard of the photography.

They're just a tool to help people better describe the theme. Just now most of the stuff is general enough so that it doesn't 100% matter...But as we move on and things start to get more complex i think it might cause problems.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that if somebody wants to enter a picture of conkers this month, for example, my assumption would be that it would need to be significantly better than the example photograph for people to vote for it.

I'd like the theme to be open to interpretation by all entrants. If you can't think of a link between the topic and your photograph, perhaps you shouldn't be entering?

I think the point that is trying to be made is that if somebody wants to enter a picture of conkers this month, for example, my assumption would be that it would need to be significantly better than the example photograph for people to vote for it.

The examples aren't shown in the voting thread though, I doubt anyone would remember them specifically enough for them to influence voting, would they?

I'd like the theme to be open to interpretation by all entrants. If you can't think of a link between the topic and your photograph, perhaps you shouldn't be entering?

I seriously agree with that statement. I'd go so far as to say if it needs to be justified with more than one line of text as to why it suits the theme then it probably doesn't and shouldn't be entered/allowed.

Hopefully people can see this though when voting and will vote for representative pics even if a totally random one is a better picture. I know that's what I'll be doing.

Is it worth considering adding a rule that you can't add a big description to an entry? Maybe just a title? Judges of a 'physical' photography competition would usually only have the pics hanging on a wall and a title to get to their decision, not some big faux explanation about Autumnal lighting.

Is it worth considering adding a rule that you can't add a big description to an entry? Maybe just a title? Judges of a 'physical' photography competition would usually only have the pics hanging on a wall and a title to get to their decision, not some big faux explanation about Autumnal lighting.

It doesn't happen at the moment, so what's the need? Don't overcomplicate chaps.

The examples aren't shown in the voting thread though, I doubt anyone would remember them specifically enough for them to influence voting, would they?

That's not the point, the point is I get to see them everytime I check for new entries. Making me indecisive about a picture that I might want to post.

It doesn't happen at the moment, so what's the need? Don't overcomplicate chaps.

It does happen! - and I wish it didn't as well. I specifically didn't explain my photo this month as I wanted it to say 'autumn' on it's own. (I then got dragged into explaining against my wishes, but that's an aside)

Later Asura did quite an indepth explanation of his/her photo, which, I think, can then influence the eye of the person looking at it. (I'm not critising you, Asura, btw)

Just because someone takes a photo in October doesn't necessarily mean it signifies 'autumn', and an indepth description under it can bend the photo into fitting the theme when it should be up to the viewer to work out the theme in it.

Paradigm does some really whacky takes on the monthly themes and doesn't have to explain them which I think is great.

Gad I waffle on! Soz everyone :lol:

That's not the point, the point is I get to see them everytime I check for new entries. Making me indecisive about a picture that I might want to post.

You start at the first post of the thread to check for new entries? Try clicking on 'first unread', you'll bypass what you've seen already :lol: .

Rules (we can tweak these as necessary as the thing goes on)

- No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture). Playing with levels, saturation, cloning out small unwanted elements etc is ok though.

Are all entrants going to need some ability with image manipulation programs to stand a chance in the competitions?

Things like Photoshop are expensive, and god knows what cloning is.

In a very close call between votes, having adjusted the contrast etc in your photo might give one entrant a slight edge to swing things their way, but it's 99% down to what came out of your camera in the first place. Photoshop can only really help from a technical perspective, and without naming any names there have been a few high point scorers in the past where that side of things has been shocking, but a good subject and composition has more than made up for it.

No, your assumption is completely and utterly wrong.

I'd like the theme to be open to interpretation by all entrants. If you can't think of a link between the topic and your photograph, perhaps you shouldn't be entering

It is open to interpretation but it still has to related to the theme! Otherwise it's just a monthly 'Postpixpls' with voting.

I seriously agree with that statement. I'd go so far as to say if it needs to be justified with more than one line of text as to why it suits the theme then it probably doesn't and shouldn't be entered/allowed.

Hopefully people can see this though when voting and will vote for representative pics even if a totally random one is a better picture. I know that's what I'll be doing.

I find myself in complete agreement with AgentL.

I personally feel a title is enough. I love Asura entry this month, but it is of a completely unrealated subject matter (somthing which would happen more often without the guide photos!) Going by his logic i could have taken a timelapse photo of carton of fresh orange on a path and because we're in october and it's slightly reminisant of autumnal colours it'd be valid. Which is just plain wrong.

It has.

You might have an ODC which means you have to cut your toenails every 2 minutes and 27 seconds, but quite franky thats not our problem ither.

It does happen! - and I wish it didn't as well. I specifically didn't explain my photo this month as I wanted it to say 'autumn' on it's own. (I then got dragged into explaining against my wishes, but that's an aside)

Later Asura did quite an indepth explanation of his/her photo, which, I think, can then influence the eye of the person looking at it. (I'm not critising you, Asura, btw)

Just because someone takes a photo in October doesn't necessarily mean it signifies 'autumn', and an indepth description under it can bend the photo into fitting the theme when it should be up to the viewer to work out the theme in it.

Paradigm does some really whacky takes on the monthly themes and doesn't have to explain them which I think is great.

Gad I waffle on! Soz everyone :D

I think the problem lies here. Paradigm's photos are always pretty fucking whacky, but i love em. Each time i've got what he's been trying to say without having to ask, or think about it in great depth. He'd have had my vote each month if they photos were technically better (sorry!)

That's within bounds. Taking a photo of somthing random then having to justify it isn't.

Are all entrants going to need some ability with image manipulation programs to stand a chance in the competitions?

Things like Photoshop are expensive, and god knows what cloning is.

Don't worry, I think the most people try and do is apply a filter (grayscale etc) or put borders on it, most of which you can do with free proggies! - Check out infranveiw if you're wanting somthing.

I find myself in complete agreement with AgentL.

I personally feel a title is enough. I love Asura entry this month, but it is of a completely unrealated subject matter (somthing which would happen more often without the guide photos!) Going by his logic i could have taken a timelapse photo of carton of fresh orange on a path and because we're in october and it's slightly reminisant of autumnal colours it'd be valid. Which is just plain wrong.

It has.

That's exactly what I was getting at. I've taken a load of cool pictures this month that are probably better than my entry (whenever I choose it) but I don't consider taking a photo in October to qualify it as an Autumnal shot. There are a couple of sunsets/rises this month also, no offence to the posters but a sunset/rise can be taken at any time of the year, unless it has that something extra to show autumness it's not really meeting the subject is it.

You might have an ODC which means you have to cut your toenails every 2 minutes and 27 seconds, but quite franky thats not our problem ither.

:blink:

ohhh, check out playdoh the \'..But i think i\'ve got this months winner :blink:\' man.

:lol:

That was the beer talking.. I\'m not as happy with it just now (mainly since i\'ve seen everyone else\'s entrys!) :lol:

I'm beginning to think that the usage of borders shouldn't be allowed in the competition... just present the photos as-is. A good border can draw a lot of attention to the image, and isn't quite as natural as the rules try to specifiy.

I've thought the same in the past, along with that perhaps a size limit should be imposed too ('longest side must measure a maximum of 800 pixels' sort of thing),as bigger images tend to have more impact than smaller ones.

However, I suppose adding a border and posting a bigger picture is doable by anyone should they want to...

Just a size limit that means you don't have to scroll a bit each way to see it would suit me, as it spoils the viewing and I feel sorry for the entrant. :blink:

Some images look much better or worse when resized. I'd be happy with a limit but nothing too strict.

For the record I'd rather we didn't have borders or any image manipulation (except cropping) but that's just my opinion, nothing more :blink: .

There are a couple of sunsets/rises this month also, no offence to the posters but a sunset/rise can be taken at any time of the year, unless it has that something extra to show autumness it's not really meeting the subject is it.

:blink:

But then I think that will be reflected in the number of votes that photo receives (or, more to the point, doesn't receive).