rllmuk
FishyFish

rllmuk photo contest

Did we agree that shots should be taken specifically for the contest (no old pictures allowed)?

I never changed the rules for March, but will do so for April onwards if people agree.

Cheers,

Fishy

I concur!

A proposal for next month's voting:

Could we perhaps switch to something like a "Top Three" system, where everyone votes for their top three shots, where first gets three points, second two, third one point?

I always find it very hard to chose between two or three shots, and a lot of other people add "And XXXX in close second" when casting their votes.

What does everyone else think?

A proposal for next month's voting:

Could we perhaps switch to something like a "Top Three" system, where everyone votes for their top three shots, where first gets three points, second two, third one point?

I always find it very hard to chose between two or three shots, and a lot of other people add "And XXXX in close second" when casting their votes.

What does everyone else think?

Seems overly complex with no real benift.

I also think it could bias the voting system

I'm beginning to wonder if the voting system might actually benefit from a rethink. As it seems that most of the votes get attributed to a smallish number of top choices each month, I wonder if giving people two votes might spread the field a little, i.e.:

1st - Playdoh

2nd - PeteJ

Where the 1st choice gets 2 points, the 2nd choice 1 point. I don't think it will necessarily alter who wins to a great extent, but will allow more people to at least get the whiff of a vote, and could provide the added interest of a really popular 2nd choice moving up the field.

What do people think?

I think a Top 3 is fairer than a Top 2. Because that'd be basically like having a 'runner-up' (what's the PC olympic term for it? Non-winner?) without any kind of prize or point for them being such. I think 3 votes would spread it more evenly - I could have easily picked 3 shots this month and written a few paragraphs. As most of the people voting are those who've contributed I'm sure nobody minds the few minutes out of thier life to choose not one but three entries <_<

The quality and quantity of the entries seem to be able to support three votes.

I agree (now). I think at the start when we only had about 10 entries each month it wasn't necessicary. But it's worth giving it a pop.

Fishy - I'm calling this a go-er for next month (unless anyone can think of any reason why not)

Where is Onion?

I need to know the topic as I'm off for a two week holiday in Zante tomorrow, i wanted my pictures to come from an exotic location. :(

He's not come back with a choice, So IIRC No.2 get's to choose tommorrow.

He's not come back with a choice, So IIRC No.2 get's to choose tommorrow.

Correctamundo! Maybe he's on holiday or something, so I gave him 5 days to respond. Otherwise vamecum gets to choose.

I've had a PM today about not using example pics for future contests, the reason being that they would've liked to take a shot of a similar subject to one of the examples but didn't want to as it had already been done, so to speak. Also, by having no examples at all, it would mean that there would be no influence on what people shoot or how they interpret the subject other than the topic itself.

I'm up for this but want to check there's no outright dissent before going ahead (from November).

Any thoughts?

Yeah, burn the heretic!

Nah, I always view the "examples" as a kind of warning, you know, cliches to be avoided?

And then I go and post an autumn sunrise :D

There's no harm in cliches though, if you get a great photo in the end.

I had a drive through the Scottish countryside yesterday and the whole world was an autumn cliche. Coloured trees, pheasants on gates, birds of prey, cattle standing in the mist, warm sunshine, red squirrels playing - autumn at an obscene level :D

I think the example photos are beautiful but potentially off-putting and should go. :D

They certainly shouldn't give the impression of being cliches.

You know, just a point of reference, vis-a-vis my own preference?

"What not to photograph, because it's already been done..."

:D

There's no harm in cliches though, if you get a great photo in the end.

I had a drive through the Scottish countryside yesterday and the whole world was an autumn cliche. Coloured trees, pheasants on gates, birds of prey, cattle standing in the mist, warm sunshine, red squirrels playing - autumn at an obscene level :D

I think the example photos are beautiful but potentially off-putting and should go. :D

Would you argue that a photo competition one month that says:

"go out and ALL photograph the same thing"*

would facilitate a great range of images and style? Or would you end up with umpteen pictures of X?

I'd accept that within a "photograph" there IS room for manipulation, but still...

* yes, I know how impractical such a suggestion would be, I'm trying to illustrate my point better.

:D

Would you argue that a photo competition one month that says:

"go out and ALL photograph the same thing"*

would facilitate a great range of images and style? Or would you end up with umpteen pictures of X?

Either might happen, which would actually be quite exciting to see.

I just think about the example photos that, for example, this month they were three really lovely autumn shots which someone might have been proud of taking and entering but then wouldn't cos they seemed already to have been done in the first post. I think if we can live without them, the entries should be on a 'blank' thread and not following such professional shots.

I just think about the example photos that, for example, this month they were three really lovely autumn shots which someone might have been proud of taking and entering but then wouldn't cos they seemed already to have been done in the first post. I think if we can live without them, the entries should be on a 'blank' thread and not following such professional shots.

/me agrees

"from a certain point of view..."

Completely disagree. Words can only be so specific the example shots are an awesome guide as to exactly what the theme is... When it comes to the voting they arn't exactly in the thread and i doubt anyone remember what they looked like by then anyways.

Completely disagree. Words can only be so specific the example shots are an awesome guide as to exactly what the theme is... When it comes to the voting they arn't exactly in the thread and i doubt anyone remember what they looked like by then anyways.

They don't add anything that a google image search of the theme wouldn't do, though. Why would you want the theme to be specific and exacting?

They don't add anything that a google image search of the theme wouldn't do, though. Why would you want the theme to be specific and exacting?

That was kinda the point I was making earlier.

I feel less inhibited by the worded specification. That the examples are sort of "your photos MUST look like this!" suggestion.

I know that's not the intent at all, and is why, as I've said, I view it as a "cliches to be avoided" type of thing.

That's the great thing about just having the word - that your imagination can be let loose. You don't need a visual guide as to what the theme is as that's in the eye of the photographer. Whether you use the examples as the the sort of thing to go for or as the sort of thing to avoid you're still having certain images implanted in your head and directing your own thoughts.

Doesn't matter that they're not in the voting thread, their influence comes at the beginning of the thoughts you make when you hear the theme for the month. As uto said you can google for some examples if you need help.

We have some beautiful conkers around here but as a picture was in the examples I could have thought

1) that's a great example picture of conkers I'll never take one of that quality.

2) that's a great example picture and makes me feel like it's already been done.

3) that's great example picture but I guess others might be looking at it as a bit cliched so I won't go down that road.

4) well, never mind, pumpkins look wonderful at this time of year.....oh, there's a pumpkin photo example too.....

I know that's not the intent at all, and is why, as I've said, I view it as a "cliches to be avoided" type of thing.

But maybe that should be done to the voting system? In that people can choose not to vote for a particular photo because it's a cliche, and they can vote for another photo because it's an interesting interpretation of the month's theme.

I haven't taken any photos yet, although I have voted a couple of times, and I think the example photos should go. Let the entrants make their own decisions, for better or worse - that's part of being a photographer.