rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

rllmuk photo contest

I've been involved on running similar comps on another forum, and by far the single biggest barrier to entry is the rule that 'photos must be taken specifically for the competition.'

Many people have limited time, and in a 3 week timeframe just might not have the opportunity to take a shot on theme. If you allowed back-catalogue entries (providing they are all their own work) then you'll probably get a lot more participation..

Thanks for the feedback and I am sure you are right about getting more participation that way. However, the goal for me has always been about it encouraging people to get out and take photos. If that means we only get 5 - 10 entries a month, I am okay with that. However, I would have no issue at all with someone else setting up another competition with different rules.

Andy

• Upvote 1

Just to chip in, I like how the competition is currently set up.

I wonder if it's worth putting a note in the voting thread mentioning anyone can vote, even if you didn't submit an entry. Just a thought.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, the trouble with back-log entries- for me- is that it sort of takes the fun out of having a topic. It just becomes a case to trawling through your collection until you find an image that fits. I really enjoy seeing what people have come up with, how they've interpreted the topic. And with camera phones it's not that hard to find a few moments to snap something.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the feedback and I am sure you are right about getting more participation that way. However, the goal for me has always been about it encouraging people to get out and take photos.

I agree with the sentiment, but as I mentioned we tried the same on another forum and it just didn't work. In the end we accepted that whilst in an ideal world people would be encouraged to go out and shoot specifically for the contest, in reality that just put most people off as real life gets in the way and so rather than encouraging their photography it just meant they didn't engage with the competitions at all.

Surely it's better to have more people who feel able to take part?

I agree with Andy, Hoot and Rumblecat...it would totally lose any appeal for me if it was photos we already had. The photo comp as it is inspires me to get out with my camera and try something different.

• Upvote 1

I agree on the no-backlog rule too. I really like how the contests from the last couple of months have had me thinking about and working with the subjects in a much more interesting way than if I could have just looked through my backlog and found something that somehow fits the topic.

• Upvote 1

The photography thread seems to be fairly active at the moment and I wondered what the interest was for me re-starting this? To make it worthwhile, I think we need to have at least six people contributing each month. Anyway, if you think you would be able to take part on a regular (let's say two months out of three) basis, please let me know.

Cheers.

Andy

• Upvote 2

Yes please. It was the first thing I looked for when I bought the new camera a couple of weeks back and I was slightly disappoined to see that it had stopped.

Maybe ask in off-topic to see if people are interested too? There are bound to be people who'd be interested, but who maybe don't frequent the Creative folder.

I'm in :)

can we have instagram pictures allowed this time please ?

Yes, I think I relaxed that rule a while back. As long as it's taken by you in the month of the competition, I don't care which camera, how many filters etc

Are real Polaroids ok? I have a P600 (and shiny refurbed autofocus spectra that arrives tomorrow) so would be up for this if hipster throwback cameras are ok?

Are real Polaroids ok? I have a P600 (and shiny refurbed autofocus spectra that arrives tomorrow) so would be up for this if hipster throwback cameras are ok?

Yep, that's fine.