rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rex Grossman

March '06 Hip-hop Recommendations™

Recommendations for March? Hmm, well, I dunno. This one?

B000E97HB2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've got to confess to not keeping my eye on much else lately, so what else is on the horizon?

Also, I know they've got a few fans about here, so did anyone check out the new Dilated Peoples album, 20/20, last month? Reviews weren't the best, so I didn't bother. I think they're finished!

Exactly what I wanted from that Mudmowth shit. Classic stuff from him yet again.

I take it Ralph is releasing his own LP as well this year then? Didn't really dig his track to be honest. Sounds like the album could be promising but that sounded like an intro or outro track to something. Hopefully his LP material will be more raw.

Green Lantern - Throwback Classics.

cdgltc1.JPG

Tracklist:

1. Intro-DJ Green Lantern

2. Mecca & The Soul Brother-Pete Rock & CL Smooth

3. If The Papes Come-A Tribe Called Quest

4. Road To The Riches-Kool G. Rap

5. Jimbrowski-JB's [blend]

6. I Gotta Have It-Ed O.G.

7. Time's Up-O.C. [blend]

8. It Ain't Hard To Tell-Nas [Remix]

9. 5 Men & A Mic-Special Ed

10. Reign Of The Tec-The Beatnuts

11. Sound Of Da Police-KRS-One

12. Saturday Night Live-Masta Ace

13. Live At The BBQ-Main Source

14. Who Got Da Props-Black Moon

15. Sally-Diamond D

16. DWYCK-Nice & Smooth [Remix]

17. DWYCK-Gangstarr [blend]

18. Untitled-Unknown

19. Saturdays-De La Soul

20. One To Grow On-Ultramagnetic MC's

21. Fakin' The Funk-Main Source

22. Spellbound-K-Solo

23. Scenario-A Tribe Called Quest [Remix]

24. Like A Throttle-KRS-One

25. Just To Get A Rep-Gangstarr

26. Come Clean-Jeru Da Damaja

27. Shut 'Em Down-Public Enemy

28. Afro Puffs-Lady Of Rage

29. Tell Ya Bitch To Come Here-Ice Cube

30. Growin' Up In The Mood-MC Eight

31. Ill Street Blues-Kool G. Rap [blend]

32. Flow Joe-Fat Joe

33. Passin' Me By-The Pharcyde [blend]

34. Butter-A Tribe Called Quest

35. Young, Gifted & Black-Big Daddy Kane

Too much good shit for one album

Reminder: 5.30pm tomorrow go to www.wnyu.org to hear the Halftime Show Anniversary.

Edit: The show starts at 3.30am.

doh.png

I was just testin' ya.

Edit: Kool Keith is back.

http://www.myspace.com/tomc3

"Everything is full blast android."

There's talk of two Dr Octagon projects coming out. The first one, 'Nogatco Rd' is supposedly to be produced by the same guys behing the disappointing Viktor Vaughn 2 album, and you can read about, and listen to tracks from 'The Return Of Dr Octagon' project here.

Without the involvement of Automator and Q-Bert on either, though, these can't possibly live up to Dr Octagonecologyst. Those dudes were as much part of the Dr Octagon character as Keith himself :(

The tracks sound decent, but releasing them under the Dr Octagon name means that I can't listen to them without being disappointed. They're too jarringly uptempo to be Dr Octagon tracks. Octagon was all about sedate, futuristic spookiness. These beats sound like background music from tough Sonic the Hedgehog levels or something. He shoulda come up with a new character for these beats.

:):D:(

Guess who's back, back again!

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME, I SHOULDN'T OF LEFT YOU!

Happy Pancake Day breh rabbits.

Ralph Ripshit sounds a bit like Ill Bill.

I can't wait for FishScale neither, like most people probably.

supposedly to be produced by the same guys behing the disappointing Viktor Vaughn 2 album

Interesting.

As a themed album it wasn't fantastic, but it had it's moments.

Have you been re-instated with full access then Dizzy?

Also, hopefully all the shit discussed about Fishscale recently is rubbish and the retail release contains some NEW BEATS.

Nah, it's definitely going to be with those beats. That's just how it goes with Doom sometimes. Dunno if you've heard the Lewis Parker jam, yet. I know the beat was used on LP's 'Dirt Off Ya Shoulder' take on his blends album, but I'm guessing most people haven't heard that shit. I know I've not. But I really want to :lol:

Plus, there's plenty new beats (check www.spinemagazine.com's news for 26th Feb to hear a couple new jams), and another Doom track that is yet to be heard. 'Underwater' is the name, and going by recent Ghostface interviews, it's all set to be a classic concept track. Ghost says the beat inspired him to think up aquatic rhymes about fish and water and shit. I can't think of any existing Doom beats that'd provoke such imagery, so here's hoping it's all-new Doom. 'Charlie Brown' was an all-new beat, too. And besides, that '1,2..1,2' Monsta Island beat will sound CRAZY under Ghost.

Oh yeah, the follow-up to 3:16 The 9th Edition is out on the 21st of March, too. Decent stuff coming out! I guess pretty much everyone at least liked 3:16, innit?

I dunno if this is really the cover. It's nuff bent!

B000E6GBUI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Murray's Revenge - Murs & 9th Wonder

EDIT- Flip! Sorry, bph. Just saw your post. I trumped it by featuring a bent pic of dude in afro, though B)

I think you mean 'Shouldn't HAVE left you'.

But yeah, good to have Dizogg back. It's just like when one of your posse is released from lock down.

Hope he's been pumping iron, reading and writing to his girl. Nothing else to do in the motherfuckin' pen

Edit: Kool Keith is back.

http://www.myspace.com/tomc3

"Everything is full blast android."

OK, managed to listen to the 'Diamond District' track on there. Phat bassline! It's way better than the new, so-called Dr Octagon stuff. That album might be worth keeping an eye on.

EDIT: Oh man, the 'Digital Engineering' track is great, too! Yes, man! See, he's best coming out with new stuff, rather than trying to re-do Octagon again. Judging by these two samples, this Project Polaroid album is gonna be some absolute funk. Top shit for all my blaxploitation heads!

films.jpg

Since the 1st Doc Octagon his stuff has gone downhill. Dr Doom was ok. "I'm a gladiator in tights under disco lights" Hopefully these tracks are a sign of better things to come, his lyrics always entertain even if his beats don't.

Dizogg's Hollyoaks track - shit was gully. :lol:

Loving both of those Associated Minds tracks. Mudmowth first EP was superb but I still haven't picked it up!! :D Ralph RipShit is definately growing on me aswell. Nice sounding track to a possibly great album.

Now that the Recommendation thread is back on Rllmuk I reckon its time to talk Esar and Das into doing Rllmuk Mixtape3. The first was a classic with the second being a hard to find, never released monster that only a few people even got the privilege to hear! :( Come on lads you know its time to don your headphones and best scratching poses again! ;)

Fishscales is the only album this month that I am looking forward to as I haven't really seen what else is about!

Gonna finally get my paws on First Rates and Ian Beefs albums though. ;)

That Andy's Theme Dizogg mashup was some seriously ;) but :lol: shit!

Well, I guess I will get this Fishscale album based on all your recommendations. Believe it or not I have still not picked up Jay Dee's Donuts, so I'm hoping that's another treat in store for me, as I like his stuff on Like Water For Chocolate and Be so much. Although I'm kind of curious to see how that works out, as I think what I like about those tracks is the combination of his production and Common's rapping - there's some kind of synergy going on there.

In the mean time I have been listening to Edan's Beauty and the Beat and DangerDoom's The Mouse & The Mask. I think Beaty and the Beat is one of my favourite albums so far. I really like the way all the songs flow together, and there are some totally thrilling transitions on there, like halfway through Making Planets, for example. DangerDoom is great, and it's the first time I've heard M F Doom rapping. I like him and everything, but he seems to have only one kind of delivery, slightly laid pack, cool etc. I actually think he comes off worst on Old School Rules (which is a fucking amazing track btw), in comparison to Talib Kweli.

But still, can anyone recommend some other M F Doom stuff?

Other than that, I've been trying to figure out how to make Calash... sorry I mean The Female Race's Dilla mix go in the proper order on my iTunes. Fantastic stuff, man. Thanks for posting it. :(

Also, I just listened to dizogg's Hollyoaks track, and I have to say that it is absolutely astonishing.

Oh and Cal's new avatar totally rocks.

Well, I guess I will get this Fishscale album based on all your recommendations. Believe it or not I have still not picked up Jay Dee's Donuts, so I'm hoping that's another treat in store for me, as I like his stuff on Like Water For Chocolate and Be so much. Although I'm kind of curious to see how that works out, as I think what I like about those tracks is the combination of his production and Common's rapping - there's some kind of synergy going on there.

In the mean time I have been listening to Edan's Beauty and the Beat and DangerDoom's The Mouse & The Mask. I think Beaty and the Beat is one of my favourite albums so far. I really like the way all the songs flow together, and there are some totally thrilling transitions on there, like halfway through Making Planets, for example. DangerDoom is great, and it's the first time I've heard M F Doom rapping. I like him and everything, but he seems to have only one kind of delivery, slightly laid pack, cool etc. I actually think he comes off worst on Old School Rules (which is a fucking amazing track btw), in comparison to Talib Kweli.

But still, can anyone recommend some other M F Doom stuff?

Other than that, I've been trying to figure out how to make Calash... sorry I mean The Female Race's Dilla mix go in the proper order on my iTunes. Fantastic stuff, man. Thanks for posting it. :(

Also, I just listened to dizogg's Hollyoaks track, and I have to say that it is absolutely astonishing.

Oh and Cal's new avatar totally rocks.

Edan: you're spot on.

Doom: you're also spot on. He's got a fairly monotone voice at times and can sound pretty boring. Boozy has been known to slate his delivery and I tend to agree, to varying degrees depending on what stuff I'm listening to. It all hinges on the quality of production, lyrics and overall impression of the track.

History behind Andy's Theme -

i'm the producer and co lyricist (the bloke in the 2nd verse). I knocked this up in the lab in the early hours of the morning. I'd recorded all the andy rape specials episodes, and wanted to make a track in total honour of Andy, he is my father figure. Made some andy soundbites, laid it over a beat, along with mine and dizogg's rap, and there you have it. The greatest 3 minutes 42sec song ever made - we are thinking of making a follow up and a small 6 track album dedicated to the dark world of Hollyoaks. Keep your ears peeled and your eyes shut.

I'd like to give thanks to Necro for inspiring me and Andy for showing me the potential in life. There are no limits. I'd like to raise my glass (drugged) in honour of him. And , as he put it, Its not Rape. Its a shortcut.

You do know you're only back here because of me don't you? DONT FORGET THAT DUNNY!

Other than that, I've been trying to figure out how to make Calash... sorry I mean The Female Race's Dilla mix go in the proper order on my iTunes. Fantastic stuff, man. Thanks for posting it. :lol:

If you make a new playlist in iTunes, and add all of those songs to it, you should be able to drag each track around into the order you want them to be played, so long as you choose to organise the songs by clicking this little arrow, rather than "artist, "song name" or whatever, like so:

itunes1vs.jpg

Enjoy!

Listening to pharoahe monch - internal affairs again, so many good tracks to choose from Simon Says to Offical.

Forgot to add, seeing Vadim soon!!!!

Forgot to add, seeing Vadim soon!!!!

He probably won't show up :lol:

Was supposed to be supporting him a few months back, ended up having to do the whole night on my own.