Gaming Good Deeds

The other day, I beat Clayton and the Stealth Sneak on Kingdom Hearts, because my girlfriend's daughter was having a tough time of it - it could have ruined the game for her. Now she's progressing again.

I'm not bragging, it was purely altruistic.

Now let's hear about your altruism. What gaming good deeds have you done?

I once tried to get through Lunatic Pandora in FF8 for a friend of mine.

After a couple of preliminary boss battles, I had to break the bad news to him, terminal illness style, that unless he wanted to spend eight years levelling up and catching obscurely hidden GFs (Doomtrain FTW), he was screwed.

The other day, I beat Clayton and the Stealth Sneak on Kingdom Hearts, because my girlfriend's daughter was having a tough time of it - it could have ruined the game for her. Now she's progressing again.

I'm not bragging, it was purely altruistic.

Now let's hear about your altruism. What gaming good deeds have you done?

I completed the final set of milestone challenges for my friend on his PS2 copy of NFS Most Wanted. He wasn't very good at police evasion.

Then again, I'm not sure if it could be deemed a 'good deed'. I did brag about it for quite a while afterwards.

There've been countless feats of bravado in 2D shooters where a second player (be it my brother or an internet anonymous over Kaillera) is trapped - literally unable to move for fear of exploding - in a hail of turret fire or something, and I've had to sweep in there and take the enemies out, occassionally losing a life in the process. It's those moments of near-suicidal rescue that make two-player shooters so satisfying.

I never actually DO parts of games for my kids. I'll give them hints, advice, encouragement... but THEY have to actually do the deed. I figure you do that once, and they stop trying. As soon as they come to the next remotely difficult part, they'll be straight back to me. It's like walkthroughs, as soon as you peek once, it's easy to tell yourself you might as well look at it again.

I spent a lot of time 'newbie helping' in Star Wars Galaxies (you can recognise them by the identikit clothes and crappy gun they're brandishing), where to start with people rarely seem to have the foggiest idea what's going on, and can barely handle the sorts of creatures I could then kill just by looking at them funny.

In some respects I was doing it due to acknowledging how much others helped when I was new, but to be honest probably because the newbies regarded me as an all knowing master of the the galaxy thanks to my flowing robes and massive rifle, when in the grand scheme of things I was but a couple of rungs up a very tall ladder.

I never actually DO parts of games for my kids. I'll give them hints, advice, encouragement... but THEY have to actually do the deed. I figure you do that once, and they stop trying. As soon as they come to the next remotely difficult part, they'll be straight back to me. It's like walkthroughs, as soon as you peek once, it's easy to tell yourself you might as well look at it again.

I totally agree with this philosophy. Mind, my kids are better than me at most games now.

I sold my PS2 in order to fund a nice Valentines day, and kept it a secret even though I miss it a lot.

Now whenever my girlfriend asks how my games are going, I just mumble about being stuck on a boss or something like that.

B)-->

QUOTE(Plan B @ Feb 28 2006, 02:16 PM)

I sold my PS2 in order to fund a nice Valentines day, and kept it a secret even though I miss it a lot.

Now whenever my girlfriend asks how my games are going, I just mumble about being stuck on a boss or something like that.

Aw thats pretty sweet. You can let her know a few months down the line if she asks and you gotta hope she'll get you something nice in return :(

I donated my PSOne and a selection of games to the Leukaemia ward at Nottingham City Hospital. The patients there tend to be bed ridden for long periods and it gets very dull. If the PS3 and revolution are truly backwards compatible then I guess my GC and PS2 may go the same way.