IGNORED

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Goose

I know exactly what you mean, although I haven't a clue how to explain it. The scene in the new film when Indy and whatshername are sinking in quicksand-type stuff looks like something out of a low-budget sitcom. Very odd. Is it a problem with the lighting or something? Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually trying to recreate some sort of crappy '50s studio filming and lighting techniques for added authenticity, only for it to look rubbish on screen. Hmm... I might watch it again with the colour turned off and see if that helps!

I'm sure I said this at the time. Whereas the other movies had a nice sense of location, this really all felt like it was filmed on a soundstage. I never once felt convinced that we were in a jungle or the desert or anything. Even with some of the terrible computer stuff on Temple of Doom I never had a problem letting go and being convinced we were in China or India or wherever it was meant to be. Everything has an awful synthetic sheen to it. I'm sure had it been available at the time Raiders of the Lost Ark would have had its fair share of CGI, but the effects used here were so charmless. Much like the rest of the film come to think of it.

I thought this. Checking out Wiki, Raiders was shot in France and Tunisia. Temple was partly shot in Macau and Sri Lanka and Last Crusade in Spain and on location in the US and UK.

Crystal Skull had some scenes shot in Hawaii, but that was cancelled midway through due to hurricane. The rest of the BG stuff was second unit work shot in Brazil.

So yeah, it has a far less effective sense of place, and looks 'fake' in comparison to its forerunners.

I would also blame Spielbergs DoP Janusz Kaminski for Crystal Skull looking different/worse to the others. His films always have a soft focus / bloomy look to them. It may work well in stuff like Minority Report but it sure as hell doesnt look like an Indiana Jones film.

Anyhow, I thought this was fucking crap. So many shit things about it which have been covered better in this thread already.

It needs to stick to its cheap B-movie ness. Raiders felt ever so slightly like a bunch of young talented people just went to a jungle and started shooting. Like Coppola or something. The new one was plastical musical studio all the way.

Plus what about the guy that wrote Raiders... Lawrence Kasdan! Why can't Harrison take a 0.5% pay cut and give the guy a $billion to pen a script over the next three years. I'm sure that he could conjure up something vaguely worth making. Especially now George Lucas has his special turd of an idea already put to screen to rape generations of movie lovers.

Granted, there are a lot of hacks that seem to be hired solely because of the crud they can churn out on demand, but seeing as Indy 4 was supposedly in script development for almost a decade and the next one can't go into production for many years, I'm not convinced by the argument.

Indy is a result of script by committee and each successive screenwriter having to carry disparate elements of previous scripts around their neck like a millstone due to Lucas' laundry list of things that had to be included.

Yes, fine, granted that happened there with 4, but the same lot did once create a whole bunch of awesome with Kasadan at the helm, and now Lucas has his whole alien storyline out the way, and the world is united in rage about the demon living in his neck that tells him what to do, maybe they can go back to getting Kasadan onboard. He basically wrote so much amazingness for the first one that they ended up using the cut stuff to form the opening of temple. And all people with brains know, Raiders and the opening of Temple is the finest Indy vintage ever.

Yes, it's one of those odd situations where at least three people had a say in the script and yet none of them had actually written any of it (or little of it). For years it was always Lucas who vetoed the scripts that had been turned in and if I recall correctly it was actually Lucas who threw out Darabont's version. I'm assuming Lucas has such power because he helped create the character and may actually own the rights to it (but could be very wrong on this).

I'm also assuming that neither Spielberg or Ford wanted to upset Lucas by going with another script. Again, no idea why. You throw in everyone else who worked on the project and you start to see where it went wrong.

Indy is a result of script by committee and each successive screenwriter having to carry disparate elements of previous scripts around their neck like a millstone due to Lucas' laundry list of things that had to be included.

Wrath of Khan says hi!

There's a pretty useful article in Vanity Fair, probably referenced earlier in this very thread, that has Lucas confirm that he said 'We're doing the aliens story or nowt', and. forced with a specific timeline and availability for Ford, everyone conceded.

Seem to remember the van chase/sword fight was meant to be shot on location but didn't happen for some reason (could be the Hawaii hurricane mentioned).

None of this excuses Ray Winstone's character, Ray Winstone, Shia Laboeuf's character, or Shia Laboeuf.

I still think that if you played each sequence in the film in reverse chronological order - so you climax with the university chase and Indy emerging out the fridge to witness the mushroom cloud - you'd have the spine of a much cooler film, but there you go...

I watched this on Wednesday night for the first time, and I'd just like to say how good it is. Except I can't, as it is utter horse shit.

Ford looked like he'd been woken up from a pensioners slumber, and taken straight on set to read his lines. There was no spark at all in him. Maybe he realised that the story was a complete turd, who knows.

4/10

I watched this on Wednesday night for the first time, and I'd just like to say how good it is. Except I can't, as it is utter horse shit.

:twisted:

It is a dreadful movie - such a shame as the early films were so, so good. So, it seems that everything Lucas touches turns to sh!t. Mind you, Spielberg is a bit over-rated nowadays too.

• 1 month later...
"I do the dishes. And I make dinner," he said. "In the mornings, I get my 8-year-old son Liam ready for school, and then I pass my time flying around in my planes. You see, I'm just like anybody else. My children are between 8 and 42, and I'm also a grandfather."

Yeah, I'm sure most people spend their days flying around in planes with their 42 and 8 year old children. I know I do.

you just know lucas is just setting up shia to take over the role for a new series of "Mutt Jones and the shitty looking CGI supernatural golden donkey" etc.

one last film with indy that sets up mutt as a hero in his own right and then a fresh new series that shows us "Mutt" on his own.

lucas and co fucked up with shia. he's not likeable enough to carry the franchise on. they should have gone with Zac Efron who has alot more of ford's charm than that gauky looking man child ever will.

lucas and co fucked up with shia. he's not likeable enough to carry the franchise on. they should have gone with Zac Efron who has alot more of ford's charm than that gauky looking man child ever will.

Sorry, but I nearly blacked out when I read that bit.

Efron ain't got the chops, period. Gordon-Levitt would've been my choice for the role.